FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

NPH 10-8 missed a good fish.

+3
n2deepfsw
ed5000x
LGHT
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:36 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I went out to NPH and launched from the harbor patrol beach around 7:00am. Day was nice and tide was coming in so it was an easy kick getting down to the ferry launch. Got 2 small bass and a tiny sculpin on the way to the ferry going with the tide. I was practicing casting with the bait caster and had a little creeper trash fish lure on. I was just trying to get some action on the bottom using the new rod I picked up last week and BAM I got hit pretty hard. Since I've used spinning rods all my life I usually hold the pole in my right hand and wasn't ready for the hit while holding the pole in my left hand. I didn't even get a chance to set the hook because I was just trying to hold on to the pole as the fish almost yanked the pole out of my hand. 3 seconds later it was gone! I reeled the lure and the hook was buried into the back of the lure not even exposed and the front of the hook was pushed back onto the lure about 1".

After doing some research online I found an article / review on tackle tour about the lure and low and behold they found some problems with the design and suggested cutting a slit into the bottom of the lure to allow the hook to move upward when you get hit. Not sure why I didn't think of that before because my other small plastic swim bait has a slit on the bottom just for that purpose, but at least I'll be ready next time.

Trouble with the trash fish lure is, the bait in stock configuration doesn't leave any room for the hook to come up when a fish bites.

stock suggested setup

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After adding the slit on the bottom the hook can move up as needed when you get a bite.

their suggested setup

Hook is now allowed to move upward and is exposed.

Here is the full article / review

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:36 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am always cutting in to plastic to make the hook move easier and so i can make them weedless too

3NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah i'm realizing that a lot of people seem to make changes to the lures once they get them. I just read a nice post about how a guy does a few things to the huddleston lures, like removing the single hook and replacing it with a treble by adding braid from the eye to the hook.

4NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good info. Lght!

5NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 am

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

how was the water quality, any Red tide going on? I'm thinking of heading out Thursday AM when I get off work...

6NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:33 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I love the look of that trash fish, were did you get your's I wont to give them a try some day.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What did you use for scent?

8NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fishslayer wrote:how was the water quality, any Red tide going on? I'm thinking of heading out Thursday AM when I get off work...

The water wasn't bad, but the tide was tough. At one point I had to tie myself to a buouy so I can retie my line. However I was fishing close to the harbor patrol beach which isn't far from the inlet.

9NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:I love the look of that trash fish, were did you get your's I wont to give them a try some day.

To be honest I don't even remember. I know I got it a earlier this year for a camping trip out up North at lake San Antonio. I was told to pick up a few for the striper bite, but didn't land any. I did however get a few small mouth bass with it. Swims great and has a really eratic swimming pattern if you twitch the rod left to right.

n2deepfsw wrote:What did you use for scent?

I think I had the bass feast jelly and then I dip it in some other oil dip. The bass feast works great because it goes on thick and last for about 15 minutes and the oil leaves a nice oil trail for several casts.

10NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:59 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I got to try that bass feast jelly.

11NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:09 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw wrote:I got to try that bass feast jelly.

Capt. Kirk mentioned it and wow it does work. Only thing is it doesn't leave a huge "oil slick" like some of the other ones since it's a jelly, but a quick dip in some bite-on and it makes a huge difference. Seems like the fish not only takes the bait, but they hold and try and swim away with it. Whatever hit my trash fish completely destroyed it and took a bit chunk out of the nose.

12NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice! Where did you get it?

13NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 pm

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

man i have had the same thing happen in nph.

14NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw wrote:Nice! Where did you get it?

Local Mom/Pop takle shop had it. It's funny, because they carry very little of anything and the other 2 shops I went to didn't have it and they did.

I guess you can order it online via amazon if you can't find it locally.

15NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:46 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

smelly jelly is my favorite i been using it for I think 10 years now

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

16NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Empty Re: NPH 10-8 missed a good fish. Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:09 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i used smelly jelly for cat fish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum