FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Today at 9:25 am

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FR: 12-2022

+3
Jerdon
david886720
beedee
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1FR: 12-2022 Empty FR: 12-2022 Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:06 pm

beedee

beedee
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube

Solo mission this morning at Alamitos Bay. Kicked off at 6am, it was dark, cold, light off-shore breeze was present, excitement to be back on the water in my tube was present. Kicked along the wall, tossed my 3” Zoom Fat Albert in watermelon seed a few times as I made my way to the YC entrance. Nothing, but then after a few casts inside I was on, decent Spottie that choked it, ugh! I was able to successfully get it out and he swam off in the usual aggro way they do, assuming all was well. No other fish to report inside the YC, but things were about to get interesting.

I cruised out of the YC and hung a right into the channel. Plan was to throw a few before crossing over to Ballast Point to ride the tide. I had one pole in my 45 degree angle rod-holder, that was rigged with the 1/4oz ned and 3” Fat Albert Curly Tail grub, I tossed it and let it troll. My other rod I was throwing a Red Crab HookUp bait, sun was out by now.

My phone rings and it was my wife and daughters. They were on their way to Disneyland and wanted to say good morning. As I’m talking and jigging, I noticed the pole in my holder went bendo! Not thinking much of it, thought maybe it was snagged on a rock. I keep talking and then hastily set my pole I was jigging down to attend to my “snag”. But the snag kept moving, and felt HEAVY! No head shakes, rather power dives were being felt….it wasn’t pulling drag so I knew it wasn’t a ray, that left me with reason to believe I was on a good sized Halibut! After realizing I was “on”, while I was “on…..the phone” (with it wedged in between my cheek and shoulder I told my wife and girls I had to go! The phone stayed wedged as I continued to fight this soon to be determined Halibut! Once I saw color I nearly pooped my pants, this was my first Halibut of significant size! I was able to get my phone into the chest pocket on my waders. I tried to let the fish wear itself out as I fumbled in my left side tube pocket for my lip grippers. Got them! I was nervous and excited as I saw the large head, mouth and teeth surface right in front of my tube. I tried to move it smoothly closer to lip gripper range. With my left hand firmly gripping the grips, I squeezed them open and proceeded to grab it by the lower jaw….for about two seconds…the dude gave one solid flip-thwap-flop and before I could get him on my lap he was gone, so was my lure and so were my lip grippers. Nooooooo!!! He had to have been at least 18”-20” Im guessing!!! It was one of the most helpless feelings I’ve had in a long time. I looked around and was wondering if there was a way I could rewind time by 30 seconds or so. I was so nervous and excited and was shaking. I couldn’t contain my excitement and had to text [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to share with him what had just happened. Luckily it was just after 8am, figured he would be awake! Lol

Minutes went by as I relived the most exciting couple of minutes of my float tubing career. My hands were extra shaky as I rigged up the wounded line with a fresh set-up. I continued to cross the channel to Ballast and landed a decent Sandy almost dead center of the channel. That was it for the day. I continued to ride the ride down to the fuel dock but the bite was dead after 8am it seemed.

Lesson learned, I should have brought my net, should have attached my grippers to a d-ring with a piece of paracord.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by beedee on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 pm; edited 6 times in total

kin, SP Dan and jmytuna like this post

2FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:15 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Exciting report! I'm sure you will get many legal hali's if you keep fishing hard on the tube. They're out there.

SP Dan likes this post

3FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:22 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report and I'm glad you caught a few. Bummer on losing the butt.

Thanks for sharing

SP Dan likes this post

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

4FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:07 am

beedee

beedee
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Spottied Bay Bass

beedee wrote:Solo mission this morning at Alamitos Bay. Kicked off at 6am, it was dark, cold, light off-shore breeze was present, excitement to be back on the water in my tube was present. Kicked along the wall, tossed my 3” Zoom Fat Albert in watermelon seed a few times as I made my way to the YC entrance. Nothing, but then after a few casts inside I was on, decent Spottie that choked it, ugh! I was able to successfully get it out and he swam off in the usual aggro way they do, assuming all was well. No other fish to report inside the YC, but things were about to get interesting.

I cruised out of the YC and hung a right into the channel. Plan was to throw a few before crossing over to Ballast Point to ride the tide. I had one pole in my 45 degree angle rod-holder, that was rigged with the 1/4oz ned and 3” Fat Albert Curly Tail grub, I tossed it and let it troll. My other rod I was throwing a Red Crab HookUp bait, sun was out by now.

My phone rings and it was my wife and daughters. They were on their way to Disneyland and wanted to say good morning. As I’m talking and jigging, I noticed the pole in my holder went bendo! Not thinking much of it, thought maybe it was snagged on a rock. I keep talking and then hastily set my pole I was jigging down to attend to my “snag”. But the snag kept moving, and felt HEAVY! No head shakes, rather power dives were being felt….it wasn’t pulling drag so I knew it wasn’t a ray, that left me with reason to believe I was on a good sized Halibut! After realizing I was “on”, while I was “on…..the phone” (with it wedged in between my cheek and shoulder I told my wife and girls I had to go! The phone stayed wedged as I continued to fight this soon to be determined Halibut! Once I saw color I nearly pooped my pants, this was my first Halibut of significant size! I was able to get my phone into the chest pocket on my waders. I tried to let the fish wear itself out as I fumbled in my left side tube pocket for my lip grippers. Got them! I was nervous and excited as I saw the large head, mouth and teeth surface right in front of my tube. I tried to move it smoothly closer to lip gripper range. With my left hand firmly gripping the grips, I squeezed them open and proceeded to grab it by the lower jaw….for about two seconds…the dude gave one solid flip-thwap-flop and before I could get him on my lap he was gone, so was my lure and so were my lip grippers. Nooooooo!!! He had to have been at least 18”-20” Im guessing!!! It was one of the most helpless feelings I’ve had in a long time. I looked around and was wondering if there was a way I could rewind time by 30 seconds or so. I was so nervous and excited and was shaking. I couldn’t contain my excitement and had to text [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to share with him what had just happened. Luckily it was just after 8am, figured he would be awake! Lol

Minutes went by as I relived the most exciting couple of minutes of my float tubing career. My hands were extra shaky as I rigged up the wounded line with a fresh set-up. I continued to cross the channel to Ballast and landed a decent Sandy almost dead center of the channel. That was it for the day. I continued to ride the ride down to the fuel dock but the bite was dead after 8am it seemed.

Lesson learned, I should have brought my net, should have attached my grippers to a d-ring with a piece of paracord.

Thanks for reading.  study

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NulodPBall and SP Dan like this post

5FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:25 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Good job I am still looking for my first legal Butt. I lost one last year it was a heart break.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan and beedee like this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:47 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thank you for your fish report with pictures.
Stay persistent and it will eventually happen for you!

Best of luck to you as you chase after your Moby Dick!

The BARN-DOORS are out there!
My last (1/2) Season of FT fishing I had landed (20) twenty legal Halibut before June 1st and then I stopped fishing due to having neck surgery. It was my best season!

Stay persistent and keep your reports coming! 👍🏼

SP Dan   <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

beedee likes this post

7FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:17 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Did the hali took off with the lure and the lip gripper on it's mouth?!?! Poor guy, I hope gets off lol
Very exciting report ! One thing I learned about Halibot is don't give them slack and don't wait for them to get tired. 😄🤘

SP Dan and beedee like this post

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

8FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:30 pm

KogaHead

KogaHead
FTFF Gathering Officer

Now you know what to do when you hook that 30” Butt soon!

beedee likes this post

9FR: 12-2022 Empty Re: FR: 12-2022 Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:27 pm

beedee

beedee
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Spottied Bay Bass

Aquaholic38 wrote:Did the hali took off with the lure and the lip gripper on it's mouth?!?!  Poor guy, I hope gets off lol
Very exciting report ! One thing I learned about Halibot is don't give them slack and don't wait for them to get tired. 😄🤘

Thank you, I tend to get quite wordy on my reports!

And thank goodness they slipped out of its mouth, and then out of my hand so they weren't attached when he peaced out. They were the metal kind (that I wasn't really a fan of anyways) so I didnt even have a good grip on him.

Aquaholic38 likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum