FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23

+2
jeffcpr
Dannicus
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:02 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Today was ultralight day with a 7 1/2 ft. Diawa Presso, and 1/16th oz ball head jigs. Paired the tiny jig heads with 2.5 inch mini swimbaits. I caught 6 nice bass in the the 2-3 pound range, and 1 Crappie. Incredible fun on ultralight gear. So much so that I am considering springing for a quality BFS rig. Anyone have any experience with BFS ultralights?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

jeffcpr, Jerdon, SP Dan, jmytuna, Pablosparky and BHfish like this post

2Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:38 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is so cool keep up the good work.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:12 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Luv the fish pic’s! 👍🏻
Thank you for your fish report with photos.
Sorry, I cannot be of help with your BFS rig question.

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:01 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Good on you for getting out and catching some on the little stuff. It is fun when the pole bends.

Thanks for sharing

5Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:15 pm

SteelersFan4Life

FTFF Gathering Officer

Are you looking for an apprentice? LOL Would love to learn to fish for slabs and largemouth bass. Good stuff.

6Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:17 am

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SteelersFan4Life wrote:Are you looking for an apprentice? LOL Would love to learn to fish for slabs and largemouth bass. Good stuff.
Haha I am hardly instructor worthy, but I am always game to meet up and share what I have learned over the past 50 years of float tube bass fishing! Let me know if you'd like to get together.

SteelersFan4Life likes this post

7Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:16 pm

SteelersFan4Life

FTFF Gathering Officer

For how long does the bass "season" last? it will be difficult for me to get down there with the holidays. afterwards, i think i can make it down.

8Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:27 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SteelersFan4Life wrote:For how long does the bass "season" last? it will be difficult for me to get down there with the holidays. afterwards, i think i can make it down.
Bass fishing is a year around thing. The patterns change and winter can be a little tougher but still certainly doable. I bass fish year around.

SteelersFan4Life likes this post

9Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty BFS Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:17 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Started down the BFS rabbit hole back in the 80's after finding a beat up daiwa Prolight 1000 left at Huntington pier.
Preferred a small baitcaster to my Garcia Mitchell 308 spinner which caused massive line twists with mono fishing for bonita casting Krocodile spoons, diamond jigs, splasher rigs.

Over the years, needed to fish lighter finesse gear especially in ultra clear water in big bear and local  ponds that get tons of pressure.

Really a combo of a reel with light spool, clean spool bearings, line (light braid, hybrids)  and rod that can load lighter baits.

I bought all my JDM reels used
Rods i converted old spinning fiberglass rods to conventional before BFS specific rods became available.
Lots of aftermarket spools these days you can pop into reels that perform much better at light stuff than stock.

My older shimano's get down to 1/4 oz
Older daiwas, especially with aftermarket spools get down to 1/32 oz

Shimano Curado 100b, Chonarch50Mg, Core50mg
Daiwa Sol, Alphas 103, Pixy, TDZ
Newer BFS specific reels have very narrow and light spools.

Bottom line:
Buy used, try aftermarket spools for existing reel, play around finding the right rod that can load lightest weight you will be casting and have fun.

10Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:22 am

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So awesome!  Thanks for all the info!  I just ordered an Ark Gravity BFS reel and a Ray Fishing Tarantula BFS ultralight rod.  Total price for both was around $280.  So kind of a intermediate budget entry into BFS as far as I am concerned.

I have 3 other ultralight spinning rod combos -including Phenix, and Diawa Presso rods- that I use for pitching mini jigs and small baits for trout.  Like I said though, I STRONGLY prefer baitcasters.  I am hoping that this will give me a good alternative to spinning gear (without all the associated line twist issues) while not sacrificing too much casting ability and distance.

What line(s) do you prefer on your BFS setup?  I am currently planning on 6lb. PE braid to 4lb. flouro leader.  I am hoping that will be a pretty well-rounded approach to multi-species casting for trout, bass, crappie, bluegill, spotties etc...

11Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:16 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Nanofil best casting but need good knots or will slip

Lazy Alberto knot flies thru microguides

Started out w a foot of Floro leader but got better bites by having 6 foot leader w knot between spool and first guide. More natural sink rate and keeps light bait lower w more fluoro than all braid as braid floats

For nonBFS, heavier braid, kelp cutting I use Max Cuatro with regular Alberto or FG

Dannicus likes this post

12Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Empty Re: Ultralight gear at Otay 11/12/23 Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:16 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jmytuna wrote:Nanofil best casting but need good knots or will slip

Lazy Alberto knot flies thru microguides

Started out w a foot of Floro leader but got better bites by having 6 foot leader w knot between spool and first guide. More natural sink rate and keeps light bait lower w more fluoro than all braid as braid floats

For nonBFS, heavier braid, kelp cutting I use Max Cuatro with regular Alberto or FG
Awesome thanks for the info!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum