FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Today at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking to get onto a float tube

+12
Aquaholic38
jeffcpr
BASSGEEK
ed5000x
Tubinferbass
fishntoss
Dano67
waxon67
HEADCASE881
MASSfisher
n2deepfsw
IN2DEEP
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:03 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm feeling it
Red and black Fishcat Deluxe w/black ABS rod holders What a Face What a Face What a Face

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

27Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:32 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

toons? you can paddle them, you can kick them, they were originally designed for river float fishing, they are great for covering a lot of distance, ( especially with a motor like mine! ) they are safer, drier, more comfortable, better in bad weather (hot or cold) more sea worthy, you can carry a lot of stuff! and they are a much better fishing platform than tubes. and they come in red.

bodfish the lone tooner

PS checkout Native watercraft if I buy a yak it will be this one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

28Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:14 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
toons? you can paddle them, you can kick them, they were originally designed for river float fishing, they are great for covering a lot of distance, ( especially with a motor like mine! ) they are safer, drier, more comfortable, better in bad weather (hot or cold) more sea worthy, you can carry a lot of stuff! and they are a much better fishing platform than tubes. and they come in red.

Now for the bad

They are big, heavy, not portable unless you have a truck, can't be deflated and put in a trunk or small storage bag when not in use, harder to control in tight spaces, cost a lot more, you can't paddle and fish at the same time.

Again all things have a good and a bad side for me the good didn't overweigh the bad so I went with a tube.

29Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

thats a nice tube lc has one we call it the lilred convertable

30Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

mine is call the green boob tube lol

31Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

"Now for the bad

They are big, heavy, not portable unless you have a truck, can't be deflated and put in a trunk or small storage bag when not in use, harder to control in tight spaces, cost a lot more, you can't paddle and fish at the same time.

Again all things have a good and a bad side for me the good didn't overweigh the bad so I went with a tube. [/quote]",....

Dang I knew I wouldn't get far before someone blew my cover!
Ok, Ok,...

1) they are heavy. usually 35- 50 pounds dry, or more depending on which model you choose.
2) they CAN be deflated but they take a lot to reinflate. I have a double action rafters pump and it takes 10 minutes to inflate one toon.
The frame can also be taken down and the whole boat easily stores in a car trunk. But again the reassembly takes time.
3) they actually maneuver better than you would think only because they draft so little water, and in many cases will allow you to go into or cross over very shallow water that float tubes cannot. Especially very muddy bottom.
4) Yup expensive!
5) you can kick and fish because you still have your legs (fins) in the water. Rowing and fish? uh.. not so much. Well, I have "row trolled" and that actually worked very well.

OK, all that being said here is how I operate and I will admit it is not for everyone.

1) Yeah, yeah, heavy. I just tough it out and muscle the sucker down to the water.
2) Many years ago I had my frame stretched an extra foot and welded. I don't deflate or disassemble my boat. Granted, I have a truck with a rack to move it, and a garage to store it in.
3) I tend to fish a wide area, lots of shallow water, hard to reach places, and I am old and tired of kicking everywhere.
4) don't know what to say about the cost except that after all these years it was the best money I ever spent.
5) I have an electric motor mounted on my toon and I almost never row. just keep my oars on board as backup in an emergency.

OK, last remarks,....

In my toon,...

I am faster,
I am more comfortable, (which in many cases means I can fish much longer than when I fished from a tube and in inclement weather, which is something I tend to do a lot!)
I am safer,
I have more range and can go more places than when I was in my tube,
I can carry more crap,

I think by far the best thing about my toon is that it gives me so many more options for fishing than a tube. I love my toon.

bodfish

PS
I seem to be the only tooner on this board. I was hoping to get some company.

32Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:01 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

evryone has there opion and it good to hear them i like this post alot . has lot of info
Thanks Ed

33Looking to get onto a float tube - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking to get onto a float tube Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:28 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish,
Thanks for the TOON enlightenment.

I agree, a lot of good info being shared Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum