FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do Rod Holders Add Drag?

+4
ed5000x
jeffcpr
MASSfisher
IN2DEEP
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've noticed that most of the rod holder set-ups protrude into the water.
Does this add much drag while kicking around?

2Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:55 pm

none at all and if it dose you wont notice.

3Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:25 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yea doesn't seem like it. My bait net (when im hali hunti ) slows me down BAD. Plus as im kicking if i have the net tied right to the side of my tube will cause me to pull to one side....that really sucks trying to compensate for that by having to kick extra hard with one leg. To solve it i now tie my net to the tube with a long piece of rope...that way its pretty much in front of me and barely slows me down.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

4Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 pm

MASSfisher wrote:Yea doesn't seem like it. My bait net (when im hali hunti ) slows me down BAD. Plus as im kicking if i have the net tied right to the side of my tube will cause me to pull to one side....that really sucks trying to compensate for that by having to kick extra hard with one leg. To solve it i now tie my net to the tube with a long piece of rope...that way its pretty much in front of me and barely slows me down.

true, I didnt think about that but with out it there shouldnt be any drag

5Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:59 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

No drag on my set up either works just fine.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

yes mine is fine
but i built one of those floating rack holders and it had a lot of drag thats why i changed it

7Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

No drag on mine, Ohh wait I don't have one... Lol

8Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:08 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

If there is drag, it should be minimal without notice. The drag is not caused by the small surface of the rods holder, the rods, but if you have the net inverted into the water, then yes. You need to worry more about the additional weight that required the additional strength to push yourself. Otherwise, shouldn't worry about the holder's drag issue.

9Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:45 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Yes, rod holders do cause drag! Anything that hangs in the water and interrupts the laminar flow of water over the surface of the tube is drag. That being said, it is most likely not immediately noticeable,
compared to the amount of drag your legs (and in some cases your butt hanging in the water) causes.

Drag? Yes, Noticeable or significant?,..... not so much.

bodfish

10Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for your input guys
If it seems possible, I might try to design my rod holders to be out of the water but will need to check how high I want the rods to sit scratch

11Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 pm

if you want to mount it up out of the water then I would go with ed5000x set up other wise like everyone has said there is no real drag and you souldnt have any issues

12Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Okay thanks for the help

Is this a proven design?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 pm

IMO, yes and works well. Infact I will be doing something like this as well but I will be adding a small ice chest behind the seat to hold a battery for my fish finder. working with pvc is fun and you can go wrong. just make sure its clipped to your tube and your all good.
pipe is cheap. design it and mount it your tube and if you like and works, then you can glue it togather but dont glue intill you are sure thats what you want

14Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Miller
I'll be following those directions to build one

15Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:22 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
Hey Guys,
Yes, rod holders do cause drag! Anything that hangs in the water and interrupts the laminar flow of water over the surface of the tube is drag. That being said, it is most likely not immediately noticeable,
compared to the amount of drag your legs (and in some cases your butt hanging in the water) causes.

bodfish

Butt Drag lmao

16Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:38 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:
bodfish wrote:
Hey Guys,

bodfish

Butt Drag lmao

Halibut drag... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

17Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:01 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:Butt Drag lmao

Halibut drag... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/quote]

Halibut drag lol! -> Haul your butt .. what a drag .. green happy Drag or no drag, make your legs look SEXXXEEEEEE for your woman.

18Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Empty Re: Do Rod Holders Add Drag? Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 pm

TheAsianGuy wrote:
waxon67 wrote:Butt Drag lmao

Halibut drag... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Halibut drag lol! -> Haul your butt .. what a drag .. green happy Drag or no drag, make your legs look SEXXXEEEEEE for your woman.[/quote]

Dont forget to shave those legs as well lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum