FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

2012 Float tube gathering in the salt

+25
itchybass
Tubinferbass
CPT Kirk
TheAsianGuy
FlamingTube
Vagabond
Dano67
jaws197
waxon67
Konacrush
cappo
sonarbp
ed5000x
Aquaholic38
flyfishingfool
IN2DEEP
tubefish
HEADCASE881
bayfishingjunkie
LGHT
jeffcpr
MASSfisher
hakaveli
Fisher
n2deepfsw
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 16]

2262012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:44 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
In point of fact, the fish in the harbors have been tested repeatedly and don't pose that much of a health threat but there are recommendations that you not eat them very frequently. Heavy metal contamination due to street runoff can be quite severe in harbor environments, particularly during winter months after a rain runoff. During the summer months it is more about bacterial contamination due to the elevated temps. Different kind of toxins, more about poisoning than toxic buildup. In short,.. sure keep one if you like but just be aware that the fish do have higher levels of contaminants and should not be consumed too often.

Only part of this is true....fish have been tested but not in the harbors and after it rains there is larger amounts of bacteria in the harbor from the rain run off. What I was taking about is the high levels of mercury and a poision DDT. All of these toxins settle to the bottom of the harbors and sit dormant until they are stirred up by dregging...which has been ongoing in NPH for the past three to four years. This has caused the levels of DDT to go up in the harbor.

Just be safe and buy a few nice hali steaks from your local butcher! Thumbs Up

2272012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:Hey Fisher...with all the DDT from the 70's sitting in the local harbors and all the gas and pollution in the water you might want to rethink the idea of keeping a legal hali.

If you do decide to keep one just use a stringer hanging from your tube and let the fish hang in the water.

Another thing to keep in mind is halis have alot of worms. To prevent the flesh from getting contaminated you really should clean and gut the fish ASAP.

Good luck and tight lines. Thumbs Up
I seen a guy string a hali off the side of the pier in long beach and a seal had a great dinner the guy was so pissed and there was nothing left of that hali when he tried to pull up so please dont string any fish to the side of your tube

2282012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:
bodfish wrote:
In point of fact, the fish in the harbors have been tested repeatedly and don't pose that much of a health threat but there are recommendations that you not eat them very frequently. Heavy metal contamination due to street runoff can be quite severe in harbor environments, particularly during winter months after a rain runoff. During the summer months it is more about bacterial contamination due to the elevated temps. Different kind of toxins, more about poisoning than toxic buildup. In short,.. sure keep one if you like but just be aware that the fish do have higher levels of contaminants and should not be consumed too often.

Only part of this is true....fish have been tested but not in the harbors and after it rains there is larger amounts of bacteria in the harbor from the rain run off. What I was taking about is the high levels of mercury and a poision DDT. All of these toxins settle to the bottom of the harbors and sit dormant until they are stirred up by dregging...which has been ongoing in NPH for the past three to four years. This has caused the levels of DDT to go up in the harbor.

I seen on the peir last sunday in long beach a list of fish not to be eating and hali was not one of them but still would not eat any thing from the harbor Embarassed

2292012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:51 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:
sonarbp wrote:Hey Fisher...with all the DDT from the 70's sitting in the local harbors and all the gas and pollution in the water you might want to rethink the idea of keeping a legal hali.

If you do decide to keep one just use a stringer hanging from your tube and let the fish hang in the water.

Another thing to keep in mind is halis have alot of worms. To prevent the flesh from getting contaminated you really should clean and gut the fish ASAP.

Good luck and tight lines. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I seen a guy string a hali off the side of the pier in long beach and a seal had a great dinner the guy was so pissed and there was nothing left of that hali when he tried to pull up so please dont string any fish to the side of your tube

I remember that day. That butt was huge. I think you guys should string your fish to your tube...I could use a good laugh!!

2302012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 am

waxon67 wrote:
ed5000x wrote:

Good luck and tight lines. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I remember that day. That butt was huge. I think you guys should string your fish to your tube...I could use a good laugh!!

X2, that had to be funny as hell. I would love to see that lol

2312012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:59 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:
ed5000x wrote:

affraid lol! lol! lol!

2322012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:

Copy that!! Fresh Alaskan fillet? you bet! Harbor Butt? not so much.

bodfish

2332012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
sonarbp wrote:

Just be safe and buy a few nice hali steaks from your local butcher! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Copy that!! Fresh Alaskan fillet? you bet! Harbor Butt? not so much.

bodfish

Well I have seen some pretty good looking harbor butt in my day! Or...um...are we talking about....uh? Never mind.

2342012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ok so im thinkin of bringin a ice chest and throw it in there and lock it up somewhere if i could or could i tie it to a dock theres a tide in the hardors right so water goes in and comes out my eyes seems like it would be fine to eat

2352012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fisher wrote:ok so im thinkin of bringin a ice chest and throw it in there and lock it up somewhere if i could or could i tie it to a dock theres a tide in the hardors right so water goes in and comes out my eyes seems like it would be fine to eat
If its legal size, why not....

2362012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:20 pm

itchybass

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Not saying it can't happen but a legal hali out of the bay isn't an everyday occurrence. I've fished the lab many times and caught only one that was close to legal. Sounds like a lot of work for such a slim chance. Especially if you are partaking in the artificial only tournament. to each his own though, if you don't mind bringing a cooler go for it.

2372012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

itchybass wrote:Not saying it can't happen but a legal hali out of the bay isn't an everyday occurrence. I've fished the lab many times and caught only one that was close to legal. Sounds like a lot of work for such a slim chance. Especially if you are partaking in the artificial only tournament. to each his own though, if you don't mind bringing a cooler go for it.

Most my fishing is in the bay, I do have to agree with you on the legal halibut I've gotten close to legal but never legal. But you never know??

2382012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 pm

you guys worry too much about all the what ifs...
just go fishing already and stop talking about it lol!

2392012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i am doin the lure buy in and im also to the $10 biggest fish so im goin for the biggest fish and it will be me legal hali haha

2402012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Fisher wrote:i am doin the lure buy in and im also to the $10 biggest fish so im goin for the biggest fish and it will be me legal hali haha

good luck with that and make sure you tie it to your tube as well Twisted Evil

2412012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:you guys worry too much about all the what ifs...
just go fishing already and stop talking about it lol!

What if you out fish me, lol who are we kidding! Not gonna happen... Rambo

2422012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

haha nope nothin stayin on my tube its goin up on shore

2432012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:46 pm

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fisher wrote:i am doin the lure buy in and im also to the $10 biggest fish so im goin for the biggest fish and it will be me legal hali haha

Well if you want to win the biggest fish pot...screw going for the hali target the mud marlin!

2442012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:

Well if you want to win the biggest fish pot...screw going for the hali target the mud marlin!

That would be sick! But we need weight and photo... Lol

2452012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:54 pm

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well just weigh and get a pic just like any other fish. Pull it up on your lap...stick it on the scale...take pic.

Easy as 1 2 3...lol

2462012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:00 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:Well just weigh and get a pic just like any other fish. Pull it up on your lap...stick it on the scale...take pic.

Easy as 1 2 3...lol

lol!

2472012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 pm

FlamingTube

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

scale has to be digital?

2482012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 pm

FlamingTube wrote:scale has to be digital?

yes, there is no way to read a spring scale in a photo

2492012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

FlamingTube

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks good to know. so let me see if im ok as far as rod being medium 8lb test line and following plastics ok?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2502012 Float tube gathering in the salt - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Float tube gathering in the salt Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm

FlamingTube wrote:Thanks good to know. so let me see if im ok as far as rod being medium 8lb test line and following plastics ok?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

looks good

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum