FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Info collection - Float tubes, pontoon, kayak mods

+11
jeffcpr
MASSfisher
bodfish
IN2DEEP
n2deepfsw
waxon67
ed5000x
flyfishingfool
Fisher
Dano67
TheAsianGuy
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

My vote is for tubes & toons, I think kayaks have plenty of forums they can go to.
My 3 cents....

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm in the floatation device that supports tubes, pontoon and kick boats only on this forum. I also own a yak and a port-a-boat but have never felt the desire to post anything pertaining to either of the above listed vessels because this is my float tube talk sactuary and I hope it stays that way.

The problem with building a forum that tries to cover too many categories is that no matter how much you try organize the site to handle each topic the site falls apart because float tubers will grow tired of not seeing enough tubing info and tired of seeing so much yak info and vise versa yakers will grow tired of seeing so much tubing info and not enough yak info, people become disenchanted with a site because they still end up having to join and view other sites that specialize in their vessel of choice. Eventually the site falls apart from lack of member participation because it tried to cover too many things good instead of one thing great.

I could be wrong but this is just what I have experienced and seen happen to a few other sites over expanded.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jeff I know we dropped the FB idea but there are a TON of float tubers out there on facebook. I'm not even "friends" with them but constantly see pictures being posted by different face book groups and whatnot. If you want I could shoot a group or two a message and perhaps they could post a link of our forum.

The only bad thing is it seems like most of these guys are younger....some in high school (but a lot older as well). This would definitely help the site grow but most of them seem like normal kids who I know from other forums who actively participate and don't cause any trouble.

I've PM's some guys on other sites who were asking about float tubes....it's just kind of rude to make a public post on another forum advertising some other forum. Well maybe not entirely rude but not the greatest thing to do. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I wouldn't go posting about this site on other sites it will only make trouble for this site which isn't worth doing to pick up a few more members... I'd keep it to PM'ing people you feel would be interested in this site.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:I wouldn't go posting about this site on other sites it will only make trouble for this site which isn't worth doing to pick up a few more members... I'd keep it to PM'ing people you feel would be interested in this site.

Yes Vega that's what I've done...i'd never post the link on another forum though.

What I was talking about is different facebook pages. For example the "socal bay series" facebook pages has 97 "likes". Most of these guys are tubers. Another group called "Southern California Saltwater Bass" has 100 likes and just added a pic of Jarred M. from team basstic with a nice 5lb 4 oz calico from his float tube. I'm not friends with him on facebook but somebody I am friends with on facebook liked his picture and for that reason it was posted on my wall.

I'm not sure if you're big into the facebook thing or not but there is a huge community of anglers on there who see and hear about a lot of stuff before reports are even put up on the forums.

MASSfisher wrote:
Vagabond wrote:I wouldn't go posting about this site on other sites it will only make trouble for this site which isn't worth doing to pick up a few more members... I'd keep it to PM'ing people you feel would be interested in this site.

Yes Vega that's what I've done...i'd never post the link on another forum though.

What I was talking about is different facebook pages. For example the "socal bay series" facebook pages has 97 "likes". Most of these guys are tubers. Another group called "Southern California Saltwater Bass" has 100 likes and just added a pic of Jarred M. from team basstic with a nice 5lb 4 oz calico from his float tube. I'm not friends with him on facebook but somebody I am friends with on facebook liked his picture and for that reason it was posted on my wall.

I'm not sure if you're big into the facebook thing or not but there is a huge community of anglers on there who see and hear about a lot of stuff before reports are even put up on the forums.

x2

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

So, in agreement would be tubes and toons only. I'll make sure to post mods and directions only on this site to attract the interested tubers and tooners. Nearly no forum out there give detail instruction on how to do anything out there for toons. Plenty of yaks, both the water and land kinds.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The way i see it tubes AND toons are good to go. Some people may be against toons, but honestly I feel bad for those big, bulky, heavy, wind catchers hehe

Jk of course

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Tubes and toons OK I mean if you have a boat and you fish yea we would like to hear about your day but we can not have sections for boat mods and how Toronto yaks and house boat and subs and jet skies and sea doo's well I should you guys understand what I am talking about

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:Tubes and toons OK I mean if you have a boat and you fish yea we would like to hear about your day but we can not have sections for boat mods and how Toronto yaks and house boat and subs and jet skies and sea doo's well I should you guys understand what I am talking about

I'm new to the forum and all.... I came here ISO info on tubes (planning to buy my first soon).
I agree with a lot of you, kayakers have plenty of forums, where 'tubers don't have so many choices.

BUT...
I would definitely be interseted in seeing fishing mods on a submarine. Thumbs Up

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

monkeee2002 wrote:BUT...
I would definitely be interseted in seeing fishing mods on a submarine. Thumbs Up

Are you looking for a mod to hunt for sharks, whales, marlin, deep sea monsters, or just other subs? confused

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

As a new yaker and an old tuber, I can make the comparison between our tube forum and the yak forum I have been looking at. But there is no comparison. Our forum is the best.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

monkeee2002 wrote:
ed5000x wrote:Tubes and toons OK I mean if you have a boat and you fish yea we would like to hear about your day but we can not have sections for boat mods and how Toronto yaks and house boat and subs and jet skies and sea doo's well I should you guys understand what I am talking about

I'm new to the forum and all.... I came here ISO info on tubes (planning to buy my first soon).
I agree with a lot of you, kayakers have plenty of forums, where 'tubers don't have so many choices.

BUT...

Well welcome you are in the right place to learn about float tubes before you buy one. I am not sure we do the sub mods but just wait I am sure some will come up with some underwater mods for our tubes. Now that I pit it out there you watch there will be some GoPro mods for under you r tube. Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes. Twisted Evil

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Why would toons have been an issue? You kick on both, but a Toon has oars. I have several friends that have added motors to the ODC and SFC so the motor is both. What would you call the Escape by North Fork Outdoors?
He calls it a pontoon. It is 6' long but the Trinity is close to that.

I have the U shaped pontoon and have called it a Pontube. It folds up in a rolling duffle. I have both a sfc and this pontube and honestly, in the wind, they are both tuff, but those oars make a big difference.

Just asking a question, cause I know a lot of tooners that would be interested in a stillwater site, but if this is more tube, I will move on. Cool

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I modded my Caddis Nevada to have oars. Fun to say the least. I also have the Dave Scadden 9' pontoon, Sunrise. Both used in still water. The oars will make a different if you're planning on travel long distant all day long, when your leg muscles are not up for the long kicks. I traveled up to 3 miles at my lake from 6am to 5pm before. Not fun at the end of the day. This is why I want to distribute the suffering between arms and legs equally by installing the oars. However, stick with pontoons if you want oars. Stick with fins if you just want to relax in your tube.

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

TheAsianGuy wrote:
monkeee2002 wrote:BUT...

Are you looking for a mod to hunt for sharks, whales, marlin, deep sea monsters, or just other subs? confused

Yarrr.... I be after Cracken, matie! geek

Renegade wrote:Why would toons have been an issue? You kick on both, but a Toon has oars. I have several friends that have added motors to the ODC and SFC so the motor is both. What would you call the Escape by North Fork Outdoors?
He calls it a pontoon. It is 6' long but the Trinity is close to that.

I have the U shaped pontoon and have called it a Pontube. It folds up in a rolling duffle. I have both a sfc and this pontube and honestly, in the wind, they are both tuff, but those oars make a big difference.

Just asking a question, cause I know a lot of tooners that would be interested in a stillwater site, but if this is more tube, I will move on. Cool

I was doing some light reading today study on the Idaho F&G website...
They classify a float tube as being powered manually, and without oars or paddles. I guess they must be calling the 'Toons "boats". I dunno just what difference that makes. Maybe some places have restrictions about boats?

monkeee2002 wrote:

They classify a float tube as being powered manually, and without oars or paddles. I guess they must be calling the 'Toons "boats". I dunno just what difference that makes. Maybe some places have restrictions about boats?

I dont think it matters what state your in but as long as its man power (kick or oars) you should not have reg. it.

States outside of Ca has alot more lead way. If it was me and I was outside of Ca I wouldnt worry about anything but thats just me

Toons and float tubes are the same.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

[/quote]

They classify a float tube as being powered manually, and without oars or paddles. I guess they must be calling the 'Toons "boats". I dunno just what difference that makes. Maybe some places have restrictions about boats? [/quote]

We already had this conversation with Idaho. Old law before pontoons really.
They have had no need to revise till lately and we will seeif they do in fact get off their dead-----. and change it.
A frame also determins a pontoon. Harder to pick up and go over fences or through gates.

But now,my question: My boat has no frame, like the Creek Company Voyager and the Classic Accessories Pondera. You could just leave the oars....is it now a float tube? This is why Idaho needs to re write this.

Im not sure why a frame would have anything to do with it.
Do they have over length of a boat to where at that it must be reg. with the dmv

I do believe here in Ca we do. Anything like 12ft and longer must have CF # wheather it has a motor or oars.

both toons and tubes are made the same, they both have bladders, well most do. you can kick to move both but toon comes with oars but you can also mount up oars on a tube as well.

Are you guys getting into trouble with your toons there ?

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

miller wrote:

I'm new to tubes & toons, so I couldn't say.
In fact, I had my mind set on the Cumberland, but now I'm looking at pontoons LoL!

On Cabelas, I see the Sport LT says it has a frame that breaks down. Is this something that's easy to do, or would it suck to assemble / disassemble every time?

Being a noob to this, it's gonna run me about 375 to get into a cumberland, with fins & waders.
I can get a toon for just over 200, and be done, right?

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

monkeee2002 wrote:
miller wrote:

In fact, I had my mind set on the Cumberland, but now I'm looking at pontoons LoL!

On Cabelas, I see the Sport LT says it has a frame that breaks down. Is this something that's easy to do, or would it suck to assemble / disassemble every time?

Being a noob to this, it's gonna run me about 375 to get into a cumberland, with fins & waders.
You have to weigh the pros and cons for both and see which is right for you.
I decided on a Cumberland because it was lighter than a toon, easier to pump up and set up compared to a toon. It was also very easy to bring down to the water and back to the car. For me the pros for the Cumberland out weighed the pros for the toon.

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

FishinPhil wrote:You have to weigh the pros and cons for both and see which is right for you.
I decided on a Cumberland because it was lighter than a toon, easier to pump up and set up compared to a toon. It was also very easy to bring down to the water and back to the car. For me the pros for the Cumberland out weighed the pros for the toon.

Thanks, Phil.
I've been working on this choice for a few weeks - I try to research any purchase with this many choices!- and I think I'm going to stay with my original choice - a tube.
I had it narrowed down to the cumberland and the Togiak before I started looking at the forums for advice. And I just found that the Togiak is on sale at wallyworld for $139. So I guess it's going to be the Togiak.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

monkeee2002 wrote:
miller wrote:

You still need fins with a pontoon. You can get by with hip waders is about the only difference. I still wear my waders if it is chilly or raining.

Putting a frame together every time you go and breaking it down will get old real quick. It is time consuming.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

monkeee2002 wrote:
FishinPhil wrote:You have to weigh the pros and cons for both and see which is right for you.

Thanks, Phil.
I've been working on this choice for a few weeks - I try to research any purchase with this many choices!- and I think I'm going to stay with my original choice - a tube.
I had it narrowed down to the cumberland and the Togiak before I started looking at the forums for advice. And I just found that the Togiak is on sale at wallyworld for $139. So I guess it's going to be the Togiak.

You guys do realize there are several choices now in "Frameless" Pontoons. You still sit well out of the water , you have the oars, you can add a motor, tons of room, more stable, and better on rough water.

BUT, you still inflate like a tube. Takes me 2 minutes to pump up a 9 foot model with an LVM pump. I also like that the side bags are separate.

Difference however is cost and weight. My 9 foot pontoon weighs 28 lbs. and as far as packing.

With the seat still inflated:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OR
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So there is a choice.

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
I love how this thread has crept it's way through the months.

Hey Asian Guy,... I still love the idea of gathering and collating the Mods info, and still think it is a valid idea and a great way for the forum to attract attention. I think the forum should definitely do it! Besides,.. modifying your boat is just a lot of fun!

Now regarding the toobs, toons, and yaks, issue,...I suppose it is a philosophical point as to whether the forum should compromise it's purity and include other devices and designs. I tend to agree with some of the senior members regarding, remaining a toobers forum,...But, I am tooner.

So,... here is my vote

Toobs? Of course!, that is what the forum is about.
Toons? Yes, close cuzzins, more like toobs than boats
Yaks? I don't think so. They are boats.

bodfish

PS Just a thought, I recently have been trying to design a toon to my liking that would incorporate a lot of the fun stuff I have seen here and on other sites, trying to bridge the gap between toob and toon. I may have come upon something. So much so that I have abandoned my prior designs and I am pursuing a new tack. Stay tooned !!

Hee, Hee....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum