FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fish Ninja

+5
LGHT
waxon67
ed5000x
MASSfisher
Docrunner
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fish Ninja Empty Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I love PVC projects!

So.. what else for me to do while I wait for my back-ordered waders to arrive?
Make a PVC frame for my Cumberland float tube, the Fish Ninja !!

First, ... ALL CREDIT, mad props, and respect to the author of this exhaustive DIY post:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also got tons of inspiration and ideas from Waxon's battle cat, Ed's rod-holder frame, Scion's Prowler, and all the other awesome posts here on FTFF!!

The link above was basically plans for the Outcast tubes, but I went with his shopping list and basic frame structure, using 1/2" PVC pipe.
I soon veered off on my own tangent, with visions of what I wanted. Basically, a modular platform, that would allow me to expand or place different things in different places. Easy enough to do, using the PVC cross joints. My frame has 11 possible points of attachment! This may seem like overkill, but I don't know what I'm going to need in the future.. eg. GoPro cams, rod holders, fish finder, etc. Also, eventually, when my son joins me, I'll have to have gear for 2 tubes basically on my tube. And, I think if we find a good spot, he'll lash his tube to mine, and if I have a center gopro cam looking back at both of us, that'd make for some cool family fishing footage.

So, I was thinking I would post up exact measurements for my Cumberland float tube frame.. but that plan went down the toilet. I ended up doing a lot of this by eye, and just trimming here and there to make things fit, with eyeball measurements. Sorry.. but anyone who looks at the above link, and my end product, can easily see where and how I modified the width and length of the frame.

Not quite done yet, but should be sea worthy now. I may still need a fixed short vertical 1-1/2" PVC tube to act as a 3rd hand to hold a rod while I unhook a fish, or hold my pliers/landing net temporarily. We'll see.. the rest will be added after initial sea trials. I also want to paint it. Home Depot doesn't carry the Krylon Fusion paint, and they ran out of the Rustoleum flat black for plastics! I decided to get the Rustoleum dark hunter green, that I think will match the Cumberland nicely.

Enough babble.. onto the initial build pics.

Fish Ninja v.1 Rambo
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This rear linkage is really clever. I would never have come up with this idea on my own. It adds rigidity to the frame structure, and is also easily detachable, allowing the whole rear crossmember to come apart easily. The DIY link only has 1 tube holder. I doubled this, but angled them offset a bit from each other. And the more vertical holder tube also has a slightly shorter arm. Hopefully, this will keep these 2 holders from colliding with each other. I anticipate putting a landing net in one, and maybe an extra rod in the other. We'll see.

Adjustable "Scotty-Knock-Off" rod holders!

The wife started giving me the stink eye about the mess, and my float tube sitting in our family room for 10 days.
I guess I better pack it up, huh?
Nice!! Pretty compact.

Ok.. that's it for tonight. I'm totally high on PVC Primer fumes.. ha ha

Last edited by Docrunner on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 1:30am typos!)

2Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:28 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Very nice setup Doc....that looks awesome!

What's up with the gallon of milk?

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

3Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

gal of milk is a size referrence on how big the tube is and its assembly very nice now let go get it wet i just did a few mod to my holder but i still have to geet in the water be for i glue cause on my cumberland it moves in a differrent postion with my weight in it

4Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ohhh ok lol

I posted me last comment before i had my morning coffer....obviously i wasn't thinking right....

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

5Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great work Doc! Your going to love that tube! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

P.S. only one thing missing from your post.

COOKIES!!!!!

6Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:
What's up with the gallon of milk?

Brian, in case I get hungry out on the water, the choc chip cookies are in the side pouch! nom nom nom...

ed5000x wrote:gal of milk is a size referrence on how big the tube is and its assembly very nice now let go get it wet i just did a few mod to my holder but i still have to geet in the water be for i glue cause on my cumberland it moves in a differrent postion with my weight in it

Yeah, I'm also a bit concerned about how it will shift in the water, under my weight. But there are 6 D-rings on the tube for points of attachment. We'll see.. I should have taken your advice and not glued at least the front vertical posts, but any unglued joints introduces some twist and made the whole frame a little less stable. There already is some slight bend bcuz it's only 1/2" PVC. That's why I added an additional stabilizing vertical bar in the middle of each side frame. I think maybe a similar frame concept, but single side rails, but thicker 1" or 1-1/2" PVC might be better. (like Waxon's battle cat!) I went with the 1/2 just based on the DIY write-up and for weight. But I think a single rail of 1" or 1-1/2" is probably about same weight as a double rail of 1/2"???

I'm eager to try it out!!!
I might get a cheaper set of waders from amazon today! If they look decent, then I'm canceling my stupid back-ordered-until-late-April Cabelas order. So, I might be ready for a short run in the LAB Saturday afternoon, maybe around 3:30pm-ish.. if anyone wants to join me! bounce

Last edited by Docrunner on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stupid phone & fat fingers!)

7Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow very NICE setup. I still have yet to get going with my setup yet. Hopefully I can get it going soon. You guys all have amazing setups!

8Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

take a mark with you and set there in the tube and get to mark your line and take a saw as well an get busy right there on the sand wow

9Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice work Doc..btw, you can go to sports chalet and get some cheapie wadders.. Very Happy

10Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:Nice work Doc..btw, you can go to sports chalet and get some cheapie wadders.. Very Happy

Rats. Too windy Sat afternoon. Looks like my first time out might be next weekend at Perris April Fool Bassin'

Today looks nice. Tempting to stop by Sports Chalet and get out there this afternoon???

11Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I thought about hitting Cabrillo today, but I have to go get some baits that need to be replaced, will be going Sat. for sure, but no long kicks to the breakwall, I'm sticking by the docks..lol

12Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

well.. looks like weather and my schedule won't be cooperating with the Fish Ninja this weekend. No

Might as well paint! Spray can says "4-6 days for maximal adhesion to plastics".. just in time for Lake Perris!? Rambo
I'm not as keen on the color now that I see it on the frame. I thought it'd be a closer match. Oh well.. it'll get all scuffed up and nasty soon anyways. No matter, so long as it's functional!

Another minor delay, is that I still can't find a decent landing net. I stopped by Charkbait, and checked out the very nice Promar landing nets. They are thick rubbery netting.. really seems soft, knotless, etc. A very fish-friendly net. BUT... so heavy!, and the hoop section is a bit big for the float (I think 20"x22"?). I decided not to buy the Promar. (plus it's expensive!) I'll probably get this lighter, folding/collapsible smaller Frabill landing net at Savon Tackle. Not quite as fish-friendly & heavy-duty as the Promar, but it is knotless and much lighter and seems built more for tubes and kayaks.

I think I'll finally have everything I need for a successful first float tube outing next Sunday, April 1, up in Perris!! Excited! bounce

Wondering, how do you guys get your gear down to the water? I know there are wheel/cart systems, but if you don't have it, do you take your stuff deflated, and pump it up at the water? Seems like a lot of stuff, and some of these places, you have to walk for awhile to get from your parking spot to the water. Just curious.
Thanks!! -Jay

13Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:07 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I carry mine with gear on it and in it I pretty heavy on the way out of the water but its good when I launch I was thinking of a wheel system too but I I know I can pack lighter and I only use a faction of what I take but I always feel that if I have it and not need it it good but if I don't have it and need it I think dam should have brought it lol th way my tube racks are set up I can easily build a wheel system but I am trying to learn to pack lite and if I do the wheel system I might even take more lol

14Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:08 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is a great set up Doc, I am sure you are going to be very happy when you get out on the water finally. Great work there are some very creative mind here, case in point.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

15Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:09 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:I carry mine with gear on it and in it I pretty heavy on the way out of the water but its good when I launch I was thinking of a wheel system too but I I know I can pack lighter and I only use a faction of what I take but I always feel that if I have it and not need it it good but if I don't have it and need it I think dam should have brought it lol th way my tube racks are set up I can easily build a wheel system but I am trying to learn to pack lite and if I do the wheel system I might even take more lol

So you inflate it, load it, and then drag it across the roads and sand? or carry it? You have the same model as mine, the cumberland, right?
Seems a bit wide to lift and carry. I'll give it a shot. Also, I was wondering if you need a pump close to the water, in case you need to top off the bladders some. Thanks for the advice.

16Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I do set up at the truck and carry it but there handle on the inside of my Cumberland by the pockets and I would take a pump if I was fishing alone but my buddy carries a small one that I could borrow if I every need to but haven't need to sends I started a year ago I do not drag my tube only a lil bit to get it out pf the water and then carry it back to the truck the farthest I carried is about 200 yard and I did wish I had a wagon but it was the first time I launch at that place and now I know to pack lite if I go there again lol

Last edited by ed5000x on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Same here, pump at the truck, load my fins, rods, and my Monster drink on the tube, and carry to the water. I don't think you need to take the pump, remember heat will increase the volume of air, so no need to top it off imho..just get out there and have Fun!

18Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

And cold will decrease the volume. Ed says I pump mine up too much. I say he tightens his valves too tight. Eh...you find a comfort zone.

Usually all your set up is before launch. I have been known to take my pump with me here and there.

19Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I launched one time with the bottom of my seat almost totally deflated, within 1/2 hr. it was back up to where it use to be , and this was in Dec.

20Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:I launched one time with the bottom of my seat almost totally deflated, within 1/2 hr. it was back up to where it use to be , and this was in Dec.

Ok there is a "hot air" joke in there somewhere but I'll just let it be. lol!

21Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:40 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Just say I'm the straight man.. Cool

22Fish Ninja Empty Re: Fish Ninja Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

can you make me one? im lazy lol