FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clam beds and how to find them

+4
bodfish
Hammer 4
Fisher
waxon67
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Clam beds and how to find them Empty Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Do you take notice to calm beds when fishing the salt? Are you aware of their presence when you fish? When you find them, do you change up your colors and technique? Do you mark your location of beds when you find them and return to those locations on later trips?

Clam beds...pretty significant to bay fishing yes or no?

2Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fish bed in the ocean i didnt no that

3Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fisher wrote: fish bed in the ocean i didnt no that
I refer to the beds of clams that form on the sea floor. SB SBB love to forage around clam beds. They are a huge part of their diet.

4Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:39 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

o ic

5Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:
I refer to the beds of clams that form on the sea floor. SB SBB love to forage around clam beds. They are a huge part of their diet.

Clams, or muscles..??

6Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:50 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

Clams, or muscles..??

Razor clam to be specific I believe. Not so much a chowder clam he he.

I guess if you wanted to get technical you wouldn't call it a bed. More like a hump or mound.

7Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:14 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:
Hammer 4 wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

Clams, or muscles..??

I guess if you wanted to get technical you wouldn't call it a bed. More like a hump or mound.

I though Razor Clams bury themselves under the sand, mainly on beaches up north..???

8Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:
waxon67 wrote:
Hammer 4 wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

Clams, or muscles..??

I though Razor Clams bury themselves under the sand, mainly on beaches up north..???

I know what your talking about. We used to have them wash up on shore in Morro Bay and Cayucas when I used to live up there. They are lighter in color and slender maybe a few inches long.

. For conversation sake shall we agree on the term "shell fish of various description"? and "the place they congregate in bulk"? Point being, for those that do not know to target these areas. I have been with guys and watched them pass right over these areas. Often given away by small bubbles breaking the surface especially during good tide movement. These areas were pointed out to me once upon a time, to be "clam beds" and a good place to drop a line. So I call them clam beds.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I believe T and C Lures offers a color in "razor clam" and from what I have heard is rather effective.

I have also used a white Senko usually 4" in these areas to some success. Especially out near the estuary end of HB

Very Happy

9Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I should have said, that no, I have never searched for them, and never knew about them.

10Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
AHA!! you have stumbled on the Bat Ray secret spot!! (as well as croaker, corbina, bonefish, and anything else with a wicked grin on it's underside)

bodfish

11Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

A properly adjusted meter will help you locate them by showing a patch of "hard bottom"
The bottom reading will get darker and thicker because of the stronger signal return.
On a color graph, it might show up as more red or brown?

12Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

@bodfish-ya this is definitely one for under the hat if you ask me. But at the same time keeping secrets isn't any fun either! You guys have to learn to find and fish them!!

@IN2DEEP - sounds to me like perhaps you and bodfish can give a small seminar to some of us willing to sit and listen. Question: is the amount of contained air in the shell fish a factor in reading as well as the density of the mass? After all these critters do release bubbles. Bubbles register on ff don't they? So along with your denser reading and bubbles would this be a some what logical approach to finding beds and mounds with a ff?

13Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i have fish these spot with tom and only ran across 3 or 4 but have hook up on each time and it was a spottie or a sandie but i have never remember where they were so next time i will try to mark a spot
i asked him to what are all these bubbles maybe its a sea monster he said no it a clam bed so slow down and fish it lol and i all ways caught there on a clam bed

14Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:@bodfish-ya this is definitely one for under the hat if you ask me. But at the same time keeping secrets isn't any fun either! You guys have to learn to find and fish them!!

@IN2DEEP - sounds to me like perhaps you and bodfish can give a small seminar to some of us willing to sit and listen. Question: is the amount of contained air in the shell fish a factor in reading as well as the density of the mass? After all these critters do release bubbles. Bubbles register on ff don't they? So along with your denser reading and bubbles would this be a some what logical approach to finding beds and mounds with a ff?
Bubbles?
I've located razor clam beds in deep water (70ft.)
The only reason I knew that it was a clam bed was because the fish that we were catching were regurgitating fresh razors. Not sure about the bays
Density (rock, gravel, coral, clams drunken ) is what makes for a stronger echo (bottom-wise)
Mud bottoms will have a weaker echo and show up as a lighter, more narrow bottom.
Next time we fish together, I'll look at your meter to see if it might need any further adjustments.
I hear that Mark Wisch over at Pacific Edge just came out with a new DVD on how to read a color sounder

15Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I am a little confused about this releasing of bubbles? Is this belching or just passing gas? ha ha
You can take a regular shovel, some old cut off jeans or bathing suit, some old shoes and head over to the water ski ramp on fiesta island (San Diego). You wade out from knee to waist level and you will feel the sea grass around your legs. You must walk slowly and quietly and not make a lot of vibration. You then sink the shovel into the grass wuickly with your one foot and bend it slightly forward to cut off the escape holes.
You lift with two hands and voila razor clams. I have done this on many ocassions to get the live bait the fish can't turn down.
You will need a few gallons of fresh water, a beach towel and a change of clothes when you are done. Also a large plastic bag to put your fishing clothes and shoes in. Everyone knows how fresh that water is on the back side of fiesta island.
You really want to do this during the summer months when the water is warm and also during a negative tide. Freash live razor clams catch fish.
Razor clams, worms and other sealife live where the sea grass is.
That's why the fish are in the grass. So, if you know your fishing in sea grass the clams are there.
Another way to find clam beds is to look for the little pillows and sheets. Thumbs Up
Kind of sounds like the Beverly Hillbillies the Clambeds.

16Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:31 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ha little pillows...lol...little sheets! What about the little slippers at the end of the bed? Very Happy

Bubbles yes bubbles. drunken I do not suggest as a lure fisherman that anyone harvest these clams and use them for bait...not in this crowd!! lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I won't even argue the cause or myth or possible miss information regarding clams , bubbles and weather or not there is a correlation

I will argue however, that should you take notice to the little bubbles released to the surface when you are tubing the bays;the bubbles that occur here and there but not everywhere, often during good water movement periods; and fish these spots well, regardless if there are clams there or not you might find you hook up nicely. Now I will also state that coincidentally I have snagged in these a fore mentioned zones and pulled up clumps of clams and bearded mussels and there fore will as before and for the duration refer to them as "clam beds" and you spot them by watching out for the bubbles...yes bubbles lol. So there ya go boys. Take it for what it's worth. Catching fish is catching fish.

Anyone want to discuss what a curly tail grub imitates when fished in the salt? As told to me by an old salty bay fisherman. Oh man, there is a whole other discussion. study

Fish on boys...I'm glad it's got people thinking anyway.

Next:

Ghost shrimp...fake and real. The collection of and the fish that love them. Here I go again.

17Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

My take on this. I fish artificials only. While someone is taking time to pull clams, or whatever else they want to catch fish, I could have made 20 cast's and possible caught 10 fish. Also, if you look, all of the Big bay bass have been caught on lures, not bait.. Wink

18Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:07 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:My take on this. I fish artificials only. While someone is taking time to pull clams, or whatever else they want to catch fish, I could have made 20 cast's and possible caught 10 fish. Also, if you look, all of the Big bay bass have been caught on lures, not bait.. Wink

Say it again brudda!

19Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hmmm,...
Bubbles? Ok here's what I know about bubbles.
Aside from what most people observe on the surface, bubbles are most readily detected by sonar. The detection of bubbles in my experience usually indicates,....
1) a spring, very very good!!
2) rotting detritus,... bottom organic material (dead moss or vegetation, or land based organic material that has somehow reached the bottom) producing CO2 and methane,... sometimes good for fishing, sometimes not so much,...
3) clams, and/or mussels emitting CO2 and/or methane. As clams or mussels ingest certain organic materials, those materials ferment in their guts and produce gases,.. clam farts?!
4) Some kind of bottom disturbance or new bottom structure that is leaking gas. A recently sunken object or in the case of places like the coastal waters in Ventura County
natural gas and oil seepage, especially after an earthquake.

Note: there are literally hundreds of micro quakes here in Southern California daily and any one of them can cause a bottom disturbance significant enough to stimulate settling and gas emissions along this coast.

Remember, Bubbles are GASSES and not always (in fact, very rarely) oxygen. So when you detect them, keep this in mind. Also depending on wind and current, surface indications are rarely a good indicator of where their emission point is. Use your meter to define the real point of origin.

Anyways,.. Bubbles=clam beds=fish? Perhaps. More than likely, rotting crap on the bottom. Use your meter to discern which! In any case,... Clam Beds, VERY VERY GOOD!!!

bodfish

PS
One of the best baits to use on clam beds is a short (4") soft white or grey colored plastic worm, fished VERY VERY slow (during the summer months this color tends to lean toward the red side as the clams darken in the warmer summer temps), preferably one that has a floating tale. It mimics the siphon tube of the clam and/or burrowing worms that tend to live alongside the clams. I learned this from an Old timer who knew where every clam bed in the LA harbor was and used to just kill'em (sand bass) every year! (this part's for you Hammer! Hee Hee!)

20Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Bod.. Razz I don't use a finder, and in the 2 yrs. I have been bay fishing, I have never seen any farts rise to the top.. Very Happy

21Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the info. bodfish!

22Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:46 pm

x2 good info bodfish

23Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bodfish,
good stuff.

24Clam beds and how to find them Empty Re: Clam beds and how to find them Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:27 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

X4 , Good Stuff Bodfish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum