Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find

Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Poor selection, insanely exorbitant prices, what's a guy on a fixed income to do? I don't have a Dremel tool to grind barbs off. Whiskey tango FOXTROT???

2Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Re: Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Can't you just pinch them shut with a needle-nose pliers or cut them with a wire cutter?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Re: Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Can't you just pinch them shut with a needle-nose pliers or cut them with a wire cutter?
It was suggested I use a hemostat but I need one with flat face.

4Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Re: Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:22 am

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Any kind of long nosed pliers as Jerdon suggested.  You can easily pinch the barb almost flat. I did it for years when fishing fresh water for trout and small mouth.  I just pinched them down at home when I opened the pack.  This passed muster in locales that required barbless hooks. I wouldn't think hemostats would be strong enough to do larger hooks.

You can get barbless hooks at Fly Shops, and I don't recall that they cost any more than conventional hooks, but could be mistaken.  May not be available in larger sizes.  Don't know.

Last edited by Bob G on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : amplification)

5Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Re: Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:10 am

bugger

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I had to look up inline hooks as I didn't know what they were. So these are mainly for lure hooks? What sizes do you use?

A basic dremel is $25 plus you need the chain saw sharpening stone. It's a small diameter stone about 1" long. This is the cheapest way in the long run.

I grind all my barbs for ME not the fish. Ground comes out of my arm easier than pinched.

6Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Re: Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I had to look up inline hooks as I didn't know what they were.  So these are mainly for lure hooks? What sizes do you use?

A basic dremel is $25 plus you need the chain saw sharpening stone. It's a small diameter stone about 1" long. This is the cheapest way in the long run.

I grind all my barbs for ME not the fish. Ground comes out of my arm easier than pinched.
I use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as I mostly fish for trout.

It shall be done. Yes, I'm replacing barbed treble hooks with single barbless. If I'm meat hunting (fishing for a meal) I'll use barbed, but if I'm just fishing for the fun, I want to be able to release them with as little damage as possible.

Let's not forget, trout were born to die. I gave one the hairy eyeball, and he went belly up, immediately. But seriously, trout are a lot more fragile than any member of the sunfish family.

7Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find Empty Re: Inline Barbless Hooks...where to find on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:02 am

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
FOUND 'EM!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum