FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

fiberglass fish mounts

+2
Vagabond
golfish
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1fiberglass fish mounts Empty fiberglass fish mounts Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:47 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hey all, I had one done about 20 years ago by a local guy. I was never happy with it. I'd like to have another one made. Any suggestions?

Its a 20" male hook jaw rainbow I caught in Oct 1992 at Crowley. The lake was full and we were kicking up the mouth of the owens.

2fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Come on guys..nobody has had a good fiberglass mount done in So Cal?

3fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Honestly it's so expensive to have done most of the guys I know are satisfied with a picture or have never gotten one done because they are what ever size fish it is they have caught they can beat in size the next year or eventually.

Only advice I have is next time Fred Hall is in town "next year" they have about 6-8 booths there showing off their fish taxidermy skills or maybe check the Fred Hall website for a list of booths and vendors and see if you can spot any of them for contact info.

Also some of the Outdoor/Fishing mags will have advertisements in the back for that sort of thing and there are a few in CA that advertise.

4fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have not had a fish big enough to even consider this yet Embarassed

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:I have not had a fish big enough to even consider this yet Embarassed

This is one of those cases where size doesn't matter. I've caught much bigger fish then this one, I've just never caught a bow that looked like this one. It was a fat fish with a huge head for 20" and the hook jaw was what really made the fish stand out.

6fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,
I have had a few mounts over the years, all fiberglass reps because of the astronomical price to have a real skin mount. (and the increasing rarity of anyone skilled enough to do them) There are not that many companies here on the coast and the ones I used prior are all out of business now. Florida and other points south are the places to look. Or the northwest, (there are many in Wyoming and Montana) Most,.. again, are generic replicas. If you have a fish with particular features it may cost you a great deal more and they will require detailed pix and measurements if you need accuracy. There are taxidermists shows occasionally here in the southwest. ( the last one I almost attended was in Las Vegas a couple of years ago) Suggest you check that out as well. It is good to get a look at their work before you commit your money.

bodfish

7fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

golfish- There is (or was) a quality oriented fish taxidermist in SoCal...Me! But I stopped doing fish as a business back in 2007. Some of you may have even used my service...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

8fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wow very interresting never thought about that but i got one of those singing fish on my wall lol

9fiberglass fish mounts Empty Re: fiberglass fish mounts Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:02 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Mister, you do fine work! do you still dabble in it? I would love to talk to you about learning how to produce a plastic mount. It is something I have always been interested in. I have a long list of fish I have caught over the years that I would love to reproduce. Seems like the most cost effective and fun way would be to do it myself!

bodfish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum