FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Today at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Today at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video!

+2
ed5000x
jeffcpr
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 am

Hey fellow tubers! The day started off with me running late a bit. Met up with Dano67 at the Starbucks in Newport at about 5:45am. Dano was all smiles and rigging his set ups. I greeted Dan and ran for a coffee and the restroom! Dano and I talked a bit and I shared the overall game plan for the day as this was Dano's first adventure in the salty big pond. With our gear ready we head off to the launch area which was about a 3 minute drive. The morning was a bit chilly but as the sun rose into the horizon, I had one of those, it sure is to be alive thoughts. The morning was absolutely gorgeous. Dano and I could not have asked for a more gorgeous sunrise. Good thing the Pink Spandex was there in force! What a Face We launched into NPH and it was just a classic perfect tubing morning. I had the fishy feeling as soon as I was in the drink. Dano launches and we were off. I toss my bait on the first boat moorning on my 6LB Spinning rig and I was instantly bit. Rod loaded up nice and POP. Broke the line at the knot. I was like WTFRICK??? I have not had a knot break on a fish in a long time! Drag was set perfect and the the rod is a Gloomis SR782 Light so the action is perfect. Anyways, I shake it off and we continue to fish. Dano and I both checked the tides multiple times before and during our trip. We were suppose to have a peak high tide at about 9:30am with about a 4 feet tidal movement from 3am to 9:30am. The harbor sure didn't stick to that tide prediction! The water was not moving at all. The key to any harbor fishing is Water Movement. No moving water, no feeding fish. Regardless we continue to fish. At about 9am ish, the tide finally starts to some some life and was moving in but real slow movement. I fished a curl tail grub cast in a classic area and hook up on the first Spotted Bay Bass of the day. Sure feels great to have a Spottie on the line. They pull like Largemouth on steroids! I get her to the tube and shes a pretty good 1.5LBR or so. Dan comes over and snaps a couple pics and back in to be caught another day she goes. We continue to fish and Dano is getting bit a whole bunch more than me. I was showing Dan the difference between fresh water bass hook setting and salt water bass hook sets. Dano gets with the hook set style quick and lands his first Spottie! AND he uses his trusty BassPro lip gripper! Too cool! I use my hands and I love bleeding thumbs! Then I have "Bass thumb" for the next week at work and can remind me of the good time we had! I love you We continue to fish and the water is just not moving. Dano got several bass and it was great to see him hooked up! I toss my Spinning outfit once more as with no moving water, the bass are real finicky to bite. I took a more subtle approach with my 6LB Seaguar and a small bait. I make a cast into a piling and I was bit. The bait just stopped moving. No twitch no tick nothing. I reel down and load the rod tip and set the hook nice and smooth. Instantly hooked up and POP! The line BREAKS AGAIN! I was like WTFRICK are you SERIOUS! Bites were tough to come by and 2 break offs?? So I check the line. I come to find my 6LB Seaguar InvizX breaking with just PULLING it between my Hands! I have Never Ever seen that before! This Seaguar I literally JUST bought from Sport Chalet the week before and spooled my spinning Friday night before our trip! I definitely had bad Fluoro. Not sure if some one bought this spool and left it in a hot car for a couple of weeks or something, but it was bad. I can break the line with almost no force. I was showing Dan as he kicked over to me. Anyways, check your line guys. Do a pull check or something before you depend on your line and it let's you down! Dan I fished some more as the outgoing tide barely moved. The wind came up real strong at about 1pm and with a couple of "one more cast" spots, we called it the day. I made a cast and I get bit. This thing was super FUN! You will see in the video below. It doubled over my Shimano Cumara rod and spun my tube around. I love hooking fish like that from a tube! During the battle, it felt and acted like a short Halibut and sure thing, that was what it was. I didn't get a measurement on the Halibut but did snap a few pics and Dan snapped a vid and a pic as well. With that we, called it the day. All fish were caught and released.

I have to say, Dano67 is a SUPER Great guy. Not only to fish with but just to hang out. I really enjoyed the day with Dano and he is a great fishing partner. I look forward to many future trips with Dan and fun times! He is a riot when he hooks up! LOL! Good times! Hope to fish with many of you as well! Don't let the Salt scare ya! If you wear the Pink Spandex, you will be just fine! BTW, I will let Dan fill you guys in on one of his Fly Rods... Enjoy the video and photos!

Oh on a side note, I was wondering why I was so COLD the Whole day... I get out of my Hodgeman waders and my left leg from my thigh down was SOAKED WET. The water was between 57F and 62F. That explains what I was c..c....c.....old. Sheesh. New waders here I come.

Tight lines and Sunny Skies,

LC Pete Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by lagunaCOCONUT on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

2Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya Nice report looks like a perfect day to be out on the water, so Dano is hooked now for sure.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:10 am

jeffcpr wrote:Ya Nice report looks like a perfect day to be out on the water, so Dano is hooked now for sure.

Thanks Jeff! Hope you can get out there soon! Ya I think Dano was hooked before this trip! One of the best things I like about Dano is, he doesn't have to be constantly catching fish to have a fun day! He just loves being out on the water. Just like me! I just LOVE being out there. Catching fish is always a bonus!

LC

4Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Man Should Have Got A Babysitter And Some Spandex
Thumbs Up Great Report And Great Job On The Work You Guys Put In Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Wish I Could Have Made It

5Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Just watched the video nice job LC and that Butt really did give you a ride bro. Well done guys damn I wish I was out there with you but the video's really but you in the action, thanks.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:37 am

Dano67

Dano67

Sorry for the late post! Yesterday was a blast! As mentioned earlier, it was my first time floating in the salt and I had an incredible time green happy LC was an awesome guide and answered all of my repetitve questions without a complaint, and hooked me up with some great gear to slay the BASS. It is always a pleasure to fish with someone that just enjoys being out there even if you are not catching fish. Thanks LC, look forward to more awesome fishing in the future!!!! So we started early in the morning and it was a beautiful day. Water was not to cold and the weather was sunny and warm. After a brief what do I do session, I proceed to make my first cast which hooks up on a dock and I have to get out of the water with flippers on and retrieve Very Happy We kicked everywhere, met a couple of other bobbers and had a great time. I am so going back as soon as I can!!!! Oh yeah I almost forgot. So I was casting and got hung up next to this beautiful boat. Wanting to be as careful as possible I kicked between the ship and dock...Well the tip of my big flyrod just so happened to insert itself into some small drainage hole on the side of the boat and broke the tip right off of my rod. I promptly kicked my ass out of there Rolling Eyes I think that I need to tie up sculpin patterns and figure out some patterns that spotted bass like. Needless to say I now need to go buy a nice spinning rod because the one I have is 17years old and missing the ceramic on the top guide. Any suggestions? And I will now be repairing my flyrod tip with red rod thread just to remind myself to be careful Very Happy Thanks again to LC for a great time!!
Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post video yet bounce

7Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks for the pics Dano! Can you email them to me? I'd like the full resolution so I can put it in my Fishing Photos Folder. Anytime yo are good to fish, let me know! Glad you have a great time!

8Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:33 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Looks like you guys had a great time thanks for the post and photos.

http://bassinthehood.com

9Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Dano67

Dano67

lagunaCOCONUT wrote:Thanks for the pics Dano! Can you email them to me? I'd like the full resolution so I can put it in my Fishing Photos Folder. Anytime yo are good to fish, let me know! Glad you have a great time!

PM me your email address. Thanks again!!

10Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Dano u can just buy a new tip for the rod. Its like 3-4 bucks at walmart. At least u'll have a guide insert on it. Super easy. Just heat up the existing one and pull it off. Then install the new one.

Great report guys. I'll have to tag along next time.
BPS has some nice rods on sale right now (the Pro quailifier ones are like 60$ on sale, regularly 120 or something.)
U cant go wrong with their Carbonlite rods either. I have three. The are super light and strong. And finally the AbuGarcia Vendeta or Veritas are nice also. Ohh and can't forget the MoJo Bass rods by St.Croi?? ( cant spell it). All these are good sensitive rods for about 100$ give or take a few.

11Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:53 am

Dano67

Dano67

Going to day to find a new baby to love!! green happy

12Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Go with a 6'6 or 7'. Those would be the best all around lengths. And i like the one piece design but some like the two piece for easier traveling.

13Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 am

Dano67

Dano67

Thanks I will look.

14Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 am

Bump to the top as we are getting closer to our salt gathering! So much Fun!!

15Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 am

Dano67

Dano67

MMMMMMM Salt!

16Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:17 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Some way Some How I Am Going to practise in the salt this week alien

17Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:52 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

This week or next week?

18Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Yeah When?

19Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:Yeah When?

i got to see what the schedule moma makes for me if i can get babby sitter for kids

20Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Dano67

Dano67

I want to go if you guys go please. I need some practice in the Salt also

21Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:45 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:I want to go if you guys go please. I need some practice in the Salt also

no prob if i go i will let you know even if i do some shore fishing and also SFD is Looking good if it dosent rain i can let the kids play while i fish i will send you a message with my number dano

22Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

SFD or the salt? I wanna go Saturday morning back to the lab but farther down towards the mouth of the harbor and fish there...gonna rain on Saturday but I think its an afternoon thing? I hope so. What about tomorrow afternoon?

23Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:SFD or the salt? I wanna go Saturday morning back to the lab but farther down towards the mouth of the harbor and fish there...gonna rain on Saturday but I think its an afternoon thing? I hope so. What about tomorrow afternoon?

friday i got to work if it dosent rain i cant drag the kids along and you can tube and i can f Very Happy ish the shore

24Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:16 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I get off early tomorrow if I want and we can do that! Dano...yo Dano...you in?

25Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Empty Re: Bob in the Salt NPH Report! w/video! Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Sorry was in a meeting. I like it. What time?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum