FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by dreamingthoughawake Today at 3:45 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

new to the salt

+5
fatboy531
Hammer 4
.:LOLLY:.
jeffcpr
mightyminnow25
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1new to the salt Empty new to the salt Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:38 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hi everyone. I just recently purchased my first float tube and started fishing los alamitos bay because its hard for me to drive out to the lakes since I ride a motorcycle. I make quick trips to LAB on weekends when my wife is off so I can use the car. So I grew up fishing freshwater and have only recently started fishing salt water. My question is, are you guys ever concerned about sharks? I'm deathly afraid of sharks and seals haha.. do sharks come into the bay area? A seal snuck up on me last weekend and it scared the crap out of me. I have to admit, I headed for the shore in a quickness and now when I go out, I'm fairly close to shore just incase. I want to be able to venture out further but like I said, all I've ever known is freshwater and sharks terrifies me.

2new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

My first trip in the salt a good friend help me with this. He said "don't worry about seeing any sharks...... they have already seen you" Shocked
Sharks are the lest of your worries, seal on the other hand maybe the bigger concern, keep you eyes open for them and just know where they are. I have not had any problems with them yet but I have heard of others having issues.
As for sharks if I every see one come up on me will fishing I will not be worried about being bit. I will be more concerned about the chest pain and eventual cardiac arrest from the fear I fill. Thumbs Up Good luck remember to count your toe's before and after each trip.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

So far I have zero issues with sharks and only a few scares with seals. They have never gotten within arms reach but they have popped up right in front of me to check me out. They have always left me alone. It's people that you have to worry about more than anything. There is someone on here that got hit by a row boat and I've had my fare share of encounters with those electric boats while fishing at night. You can not hear those things coming and people like to drink on those at night so you need to keep your head on a swivel!

4new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:37 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks. I don't plan on fishing at night from my float tube. Too much of a chicken to do so Wink But I do try to steer away from people on boats. So far, only encountered one seal. Scared me but left me alone after checking me out. My main concern were sharks (thanks hollywood) good to know that they'll leave me alone.

5new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've tubed the LAB many times, even ventured out in the open ocean at 72nd St. a few times. Never worried about sharks, or seals. After surfing for 35 yrs and never saw a shark, I just never was concerned about them.

Plus, I doubt that any of our tubes resemble anything a shark would eat... green happy

Just watch out for the paddle boarders, and the idiots that row around there. If your concerned about sharks, ect, you could always carry a small gaf.. Red Smile ..

6new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:02 am

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:I've tubed the LAB many times, even ventured out in the open ocean at 72nd St. a few times. Never worried about sharks, or seals. After surfing for 35 yrs and never saw a shark, I just never was concerned about them.

Plus, I doubt that any of our tubes resemble anything a shark would eat... green happy

Just watch out for the paddle boarders, and the idiots that row around there. If your concerned about sharks, ect, you could always carry a small gaf.. Red Smile ..

Thanks! I'm going tomorrow around 5am to maybe 10am so I'm pretty excited. I do always carry my knife with me though Wink

7new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Same here. First trip out on salt had me nervous as heck!!! Them damn seals seem to be the bigger threat under the water. I had one seal creep up on me and bark. That was pretty scary. Had to check my waders after that. Went out on a late night fishing session (2am-10am) the bite was off the hook. Did not encounter any issues. The major concern is rowers and those electrical skiffs. They make no noise and can creep up on you real fast. Maintain a look out at all times. If you ever wanna tube my buddy @socalfishkilla and myself are always heading out. We would be more than pleased to paddle with you bro. Tight lines. Thumbs Up salute

8new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 am

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

fatboy531 wrote:Same here. First trip out on salt had me nervous as heck!!! Them damn seals seem to be the bigger threat under the water. I had one seal creep up on me and bark. That was pretty scary. Had to check my waders after that. Went out on a late night fishing session (2am-10am) the bite was off the hook. Did not encounter any issues. The major concern is rowers and those electrical skiffs. They make no noise and can creep up on you real fast. Maintain a look out at all times. If you ever wanna tube my buddy @socalfishkilla and myself are always heading out. We would be more than pleased to paddle with you bro. Tight lines. Thumbs Up salute

That would be awesome! Only problem is that I can only get out early on the weekends because I ride a motorcycle and it's my main transportation. My wife has the car and she works evenings so thats why I only fish during the weekends due to work and early morning. But I am down if you guys can make it around that time. I usually go 5am til 10am or so

9new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

mightyminnow25 wrote:
fatboy531 wrote:Same here. First trip out on salt had me nervous as heck!!! Them damn seals seem to be the bigger threat under the water. I had one seal creep up on me and bark. That was pretty scary. Had to check my waders after that. Went out on a late night fishing session (2am-10am) the bite was off the hook. Did not encounter any issues. The major concern is rowers and those electrical skiffs. They make no noise and can creep up on you real fast. Maintain a look out at all times. If you ever wanna tube my buddy @socalfishkilla and myself are always heading out. We would be more than pleased to paddle with you bro. Tight lines. Thumbs Up salute

That would be awesome! Only problem is that I can only get out early on the weekends because I ride a motorcycle and it's my main transportation. My wife has the car and she works evenings so thats why I only fish during the weekends due to work and early morning. But I am down if you guys can make it around that time. I usually go 5am til 10am or so

Have you ever fished Newport Harbor? My bud and I hop between the LAB and Newport. The bite at both spots are great. We plan on hitting Newport tomorrow am between 5am and 11am or so. If you are interested let us know.

10new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:35 am

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

No I've never been to newport harbor. I've been wanting to try it though since I started tubing LAB couple weeks ago. Been researching other places to go too. I'm actually meeting someone tomorrow at 5am at los alamitos bay. He's coming down from Azusa. But I'll definitely go next time! I don't have much experience fishing salt water since I grew up fishing freshwater so there are much to learn! Right now, Im just fishing for bass and halibuts Smile let me know next time you guys fish LAB or newport!

11new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 am

420_tuber

420_tuber
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

@#&* THOSE SEALS!!! BRING A LITTLE WOODEN BAT OR SOMETHING!!!!! had a close call last trip out!

12new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

420_tuber wrote:@#&* THOSE SEALS!!! BRING A LITTLE WOODEN BAT OR SOMETHING!!!!! had a close call last trip out!

Lol!! they're like dogs! What happened on your last trip? Probably about two trips ago, I encountered one. He popped up next to me and scared the crap out of me. Think he was just curious, then he took off. Good thing he wasn't territorial or anything.

13new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Last trip to the LAB for me i had a seal come closs enough to make me feel like i needed to get out of the water. Never had an issue but he really got me worried for a bit. Just part of fishing guys we have to take the good with the bad we just hope more good rather then bad.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

14new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:31 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I saw this youtube video of a kayak group fishing in the ocean. I was curious to see if anyone had ever been attacked but in this video, a seal came up to one of the kayaks and he hopped on top of the kayak and started eating the guy's catch which was in a basket. He didn't attack the angler, just sorta harrased him and ate his catch.

15new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I think I saw that same video. The problem in the video is that the kayaker thought it was cool and let him get on in the first place. That could've been prevented.

16new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:27 pm

You guys worry too much. With this worried about this and that how you guys gonna enjoy your selfs or do any type if fishing?

There is nothing in our waters that you need to worry about. I ninja 60% of the time solo and I have never had any close calls and I tube where I can.
I'm willing to take a trip to the islands if I had way there with my tube.

17new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I suppose you're right. I just got back from tubing los alamitos bay and for the first time, I ventured out further than my previous trips. Caught a couple spotted bay bass. Not so big though, biggest bass was approximately 10"

Caught my very first halibut so it was the first time handling one and I got bit Sad he bit my finger and I started to bleed haha lesson learned! caught him off a little crappie jig Razz can't wait to go out again.

18new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Congrats on your outting today. Yeah you can't lip a Hali like you do a bass lol.
Go as much as you and each outting your feel more and more at home on the water. It just takes time.
Pretty soon you'll be ready for a ninja session and then the whole new ball game begains lol

19new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Lol yeah.. I forgot my pliers so tried to get the hook off and he bit me. Gotta remember these fish have

20new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Teeths!

21new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:41 am

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Invest in a lip gripper,even the cutest little hali have sharp teeth!

22new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:24 am

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

bassfishing24/7 wrote:Invest in a lip gripper,even the cutest little hali have sharp teeth!

I sure will! Thanks!

23new to the salt Empty sharks Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm

jackxxx

FTFF Gathering Officer

Do not worry about the Sharks , they generally cruise in small packs and you will have been bit before you know it .

TED

24new to the salt Empty Re: new to the salt Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Chaffee island is across from the lab I want to go out there

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum