FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by BenPhartin Today at 7:45 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cumberland In The House

+5
Dex
Jerdon
MenyoG
Tony G Fishing
dayhut
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cumberland In The House Empty Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:19 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

When I say, "Cumberland in the house..." well I mean that literally.

My new Cumberland arrived yesterday, right on schedule. The new UPS tracking is pretty awesome.
I was emailed alerts along the entire route; very different from the old "search and wonder" system.
cheers

I bought the Cumbee because all you Left Coast tubers are singing its praises - and I have a long abiding respect for you Cali folks at Float Tube Fishing Forum. Many of you are salt water anglers and I find it comforting that YOU find the Cumbee stable, reliable and comforting.

It came well packed in a double box, all folded up on itself. I was a little disappointed that there was no carry/storage bag for the thing, I gotta admit. My Chehalis had one, and I like that sort of little extra. Other than that, however, I can find no real fault with the packaging or the out-of-carton presentation.

I was most impressed with the thick PVC protective bottom. I was expecting something like it, but found it to be stouter than I imagined.

I was least impressed with the open mesh cargo area behind the seat. Others I've seen have a PVC panel back there, although I imagine wet is wet, no matter WHAT is there.
What if I put a Coroplast panel there for support?

I will inflate the thing in the next day or two and see whats what. I cant wait to see my grandsons reaction to it, in all it's glory.
Weird, but after looking it over, even my wife seems to have more than a passing interest in the idea of me out tubing for fish. So far, thats impressive. sunny

Last edited by dayhut on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 am; edited 3 times in total

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

2Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:55 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Congrats! Time to hit the water!

Tony g

3Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:25 am

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Congrats Dayhut,

Two things:

1. The Cumberland comes with carrying straps. This is one hella handy accessory. You throw the tube on your back and have two free hands for other gear. Much better than a carrying bag, to me.

2. The apron is not securly attached to the boat, just velcro and the crossbar. I speak from experience, if you deflate the boat and throw it on your back, you can lose the apron.

Otherwise, a pretty good ride.

Manuel

4Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:35 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

MenyoG wrote:Congrats Dayhut,

Two things:

1. The Cumberland comes with carrying straps.  This is one hella handy accessory.  You throw the tube on your back and have two free hands for other gear.  Much better than a carrying bag, to me.

2. The apron is not securly attached to the boat, just velcro and the crossbar.  I speak from experience,  if you deflate the boat and throw it on your back, you can lose the apron.  

Otherwise, a pretty good ride.

Manuel
Okay Manny, thanks.
Good Tips!

How robust are the strap connections? Do I need to reinforce them now?

5Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:14 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Now you got me thinking.

I normally load my tackle in the pockets. I attach a rod holder and slide in 3 rods and reels then carry it.

No issues in 8-10 outings. I an not going far, couple hundred yards.

Good part is that the straps attach to the pvc sheeting. Should be good.

Manuel

6Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:47 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I've always found that sewed attachment points are a weak link.
We'd like to think that all makers know this, then take steps to reinforce and rigorously test those particular points.

Do they? Hmmmm... Hard to say.

I've said all that to say this: ill have a look at the strap attachments and see if I can find a simple reinforcement method.

Now, about YOU. After 10 outings, you have no complaints about the strap carrying process? That's good to know; I have several places where short treks are expect and have heard others mention it. Maybe they're just nitpickers....

7Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I was was worried about the mesh cargo area when I  first got my Cumberland. I take a 5 gallon bucket and set it back there for spare clothes, and extra dry storage box, metal stringer , or what ever I wanted to keep dry back there. I used to put an old life vest under it to  protect the mesh, I forgot the spare life vest once and just threw the bucket back there, no problem. Been a year now and there has never been a sign of stretching or tearing, so I stopped worrying about it.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

8Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well thanks, old timer!

It has caused me to rub my chin, this mesh cargo area.
Your bucket challenge certainly is encouraging.

I'm thinking a soft side cooler from the thrift store would make a decent gear tote and back side storage bin. I can add a dry bag for the few items I want water free.

You reckon that'll do?

9Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Jerdon wrote:I was was worried about the mesh cargo area when I  first got my Cumberland. I take a 5 gallon bucket and set it back there for spare clothes, and extra dry storage box, metal stringer , or what ever I wanted to keep dry back there. I used to put an old life vest under it to  protect the mesh, I forgot the spare life vest once and just threw the bucket back there, no problem. Been a year now and there has never been a sign of stretching or tearing, so I stopped worrying about it.

I was just thinking about finding something to put back there to use to keep gear dry. Looks like I'll be getting a 5gal bucket now. Thanks for the idea. Do you tie the bucket to the tube in case it tips over?

10Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Dex wrote:
Jerdon wrote:I was was worried about the mesh cargo area when I  first got my Cumberland. I take a 5 gallon bucket and set it back there for spare clothes, and extra dry storage box, metal stringer , or what ever I wanted to keep dry back there. I used to put an old life vest under it to  protect the mesh, I forgot the spare life vest once and just threw the bucket back there, no problem. Been a year now and there has never been a sign of stretching or tearing, so I stopped worrying about it.

I was just thinking about finding something to put back there to use to keep gear dry.  Looks like I'll be getting a 5gal bucket now.  Thanks for the idea.   Do you tie the bucket to the tube in case it tips over?

If the tube goes upside down I'll be busy trying to save my rods and fishfinder. Also, I don't lash the bucket down, but I do have a bungee that goes over the top of it. The bucket fits pretty good back there so there is no chance of the bucket tipping over behind the seat.

11Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:52 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:
Dex wrote:

I was just thinking about finding something to put back there to use to keep gear dry.  Looks like I'll be getting a 5gal bucket now.  Thanks for the idea.   Do you tie the bucket to the tube in case it tips over?

If the tube goes upside down I'll be busy trying to save my rods and fishfinder. Also, I don't lash the bucket down, but I do have a bungee that goes over the top of it. The bucket fits pretty good back there so there is no chance of the bucket tipping over behind the seat.
Im now pondering a plastic tote bin, the kind with rounded corners. I don't carry a ton of stuff.
I also have a couple three gal buckets... Hmmmm....

12Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Here are some pics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

All these ideas I saw on the board at one time or another.

13Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Nice. This is what I need. I will be adding a bucket to my tube soon. It will also make transporting gear from the parking lot to the water a little easier. Thanks

14Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:31 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

glad you got your new tube can't wait to hear fish reports from you and may all your trip be safe and fun

15Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:46 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dex wrote:Nice.  This is what I need. I will be adding a bucket to my tube soon.  It will also make transporting gear from the parking lot to the water a little easier.  Thanks
That's what I was thinking - carrying stuff would be easier.

16Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:47 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:Here are some pics.

All these ideas I saw on the board at one time or another.
Thanks for the pics!

17Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:47 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

ed5000x wrote:glad you got your new tube can't wait to hear fish reports from you and may all your trip be safe and fun
Thank you Ed

18Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:07 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I've been using one of these small Igloo coolers in the back of my tube since day one!  I keep spare Plano boxes, snacks, beverages, etc. in it.  I like it because of the low profile.  I don't use the lid because I also take my tackle backpack off when I get to the water and lay it on top of the cooler.  The low profile of the cooler combined with the soft material of the backpack settling into the open cooler keep it in place. I have never had an issue with it falling off in the big wakes some on these boats leave.  

19Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:46 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Gatorfan wrote:I've been using one of these small Igloo coolers in the back of my tube since day one!  I keep spare Plano boxes, snacks, beverages, etc. in it.  I like it because of the low profile.  I don't use the lid because I also take my tackle backpack off when I get to the water and lay it on top of the cooler.  The low profile of the cooler combined with the soft material of the backpack settling into the open cooler keep it in place. I have never had an issue with it falling off in the big wakes some on these boats leave.  

That's right along the same lines I'm thinking.
I've see soft side coolers that have a plastic insert I them - same as that but resilient like a lunch bag. Same deal, and also a dandy way to tote gear to the launch point.

I'm digging the ideas here!
Thank you -------------------- Red Smile

20Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I used one of the soft sided ones twice. The one I had sucked up water through the stitching both times.

21Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:59 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:I used one of the soft sided ones twice. The one I had sucked up water through the stitching both times.
yeah Ibahdbthatbin my mind.
Hard shell it is!!

22Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 pm

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dang! How long are your voyages? I just usually cram all my junk and a couple snacks into the two pockets. But then again I'm only out there for about six hours at a time. Sounds like you guys are going on multi day trips. Shocked

23Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote: Sounds like you guys are going on multi day trips. Shocked

Hmmmmmm.... Now you have me thinking LOLLY. This could definitely be done with a kayak, but only if there's a way with a tube... The Bomb

24Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:03 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Dang! How long are your voyages? I just usually cram all my junk and a couple snacks into the two pockets. But then again I'm only out there for about six hours at a time. Sounds like you guys are going on multi day trips. Shocked
I always bring too much stuff.
It's a tradition.

25Cumberland In The House Empty Re: Cumberland In The House Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:26 pm

nicelag

FTFF Gathering Officer

dayhut wrote:Weird, but after looking it over, even my wife seems to have more than a passing interest in the idea of me out tubing for fish. So far, thats impressive. sunny

Actually she's thinking "maybe with that new tube he will go out more. Then I can have some peace and quiet with more time to myself".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum