FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Custom built: Fish Finder and Rod Holder frame for Cumberland float tube

+11
david886720
wiseguy
SirMixALot
ed5000x
GT
Tony G Fishing
rusty hook
CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Jerdon
jeffcpr
filippodg
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hey guys,

I’m new here. What’s up?   Cool

I just did float tubing for the 1st time last weekend (SD bay) and I had a blast. I’m hooked! I gotta thank my fishing buddy who gets me to try out new fishing things all the time. Can’t wait to take my tube for some Yellowtail now – JK, won’t go open water.

wiseguy and .:LOLLY:.’s builts gave me some ideas to build my own frame, so here it is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It fits my Humminbird Fishin’ Buddy 140c perfectly. It sits at the perfect height, and there’s enough clearance between it and the other 2 rod holders so that I can move my fish finder handle all the way without hitting them.

The front trolling rod holder is tilted to the left so that the rod is out of the way when I’m casting my other rod.

The middle rod holder I’ll use for a net and to temporarily place my casting rod down while I release the bizillion fish I catch. Very Happy

First time messing with ABS and plumbing, so if this thing falls apart while in the water I’m screwed. I did put cement, so it should hold just fine.

Disregard the “hot pink” wall in the background – wife’s the boss, something gotta give, right!? Haha

Also disregard the original Humminbird’s holder hanging. That thing is done; it’ll never see my tube again!

Will take pics once assembled in the water.

I still have time to change it, so if anyone has any advice, I’m all ears. Smile

Fil

Last edited by filippodg on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Finding_Elias likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Rock on buddy so glad you are hooked we all new you would be. and that is a very nice looking rack you have there lol! really looks like a great set up.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome aboard flipdog!
The rod rack looks great!

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks guys! Very Happy

Can't wait for the weekend to go tubing again. Smile

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Fishermen of the Year 2014

Welcome to the dark side flipdog! your ride is looking good. Cant wait to read your reports from that side of Cali.

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

you did a great job on outfitting your tube. If you want to hit the water let me know. I enjoy fishing Tideland park in coronado, as well as some other locations on the bay. I am always eager to see if the fish are active.

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Welcome flippdog!!! Nice and clean setup! Enjoy your stay!

Tony g

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Also liking what looks like a shimano chronarch201e7...got one myself!

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice RACK...Fil..........GT

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks guys! Smile

I can't believe it "only" took me 4 months to say yes to tubing. Ahhhh

Last weekend we were out in the water at 5:30AM. It was completely dark that I couldn't see a thing. I had no clue how to maneuver my tube haha Then I threw a jig on a boat and got stuck. Then I hit the dock and got stuck again. All in the dark. What a rough start! The sun came out and I started seeing things lol and finally got the ball rolling.

That's it: Shimano Chronarch 51E (lefty). I've been fishing with my Tatula (100), which it's an amazing reel, but I feel it's too big to handle, and I've got big hands. Just got my Chronarch this week and can't wait to try it out.

Coronado sounds good! I'll let you know. Smile I'd like to hit every place in the bay. Anywhere really.

Question: I'm trying to figure out when it's best to go tubing (more than just once a week on weekends). I work 9am Mon-Fri, so early morning would work, but I live in RB and it takes me 30-40 min to drive down to the bay. So with driving time each way, that doesn't leave me much time to fish, and I don't wanna go at 4AM because I can't see s*it. Smile Does anyone fish the bay in the evening? Any difference early AM vs. evening? What time is best? What's the latest you'd stay out at the bay?

Thanks

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Nice i have the 201e7....good luck with yours!

As for staying out? I do newport most every wednesday and latest ive stayed is 10ish but depending on each person you can stay all night long 2015-03-20:twisted: , just make sure you have a couple head lamps, i put glow sticks on the back of my tube and plus i have my fish finder light on and for the most part since i like orange so much i dress in it while im tubing so hard to miss me....good luck! Thumbs Up and dress warm!

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Tubing in the dark is a little scary/difficult at first but you get the hang of it after a couple of times. Using a baitcaster(more control) really helps with keeping the lures off the boats and docks. My first cast ever out of my float tube I got stuck on a dock so you're not the only one lol!

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice work on the rod rack! I'm glad our design has inspired so many tubers to build one for themselves, a must needed item for the serious float tube fisherman! Good job bro.

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice custom rack dude! You can fish anytime. Even in the dark, especially with a headlamp. The fishing can be good at night

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

that look so nice and clean!!! greate job filippodg!!!

sdbaybassn

sdbaybassn
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Nice work flippdog I'm from San Diego too and fish the bay Rusty hook looking atfishing the bay tomorrow.

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks again guys!

I’ve found some of your guys’ videos on YouTube. Those are awesome! Very Happy If I’m not fishing, I’m watching videos about fishing. Wife’s getting a bit upset haha

Setup -- I’m already designing another frame for the right side of my tube for accessories and other things (all very low profile so that it doesn’t interfere with casting).

Something like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I’ve added a FF holder on there too because I like to be able to move my FF from left to right depending where and which side I’m fishing. Perhaps this is overkill and I should forget about my FF and just fish. Smile

I also don’t wanna overload my tube (I’m a big guy), so I might skip a right frame and add those features in my left frame instead. TBD.

Holy crap my Chronarch 51e casts FAR!!!! I know it’s the fisherman’s skill haha but yeah, my Tatula T-Wing System got nothing on this little reel! Definitely worth the purchase!

Glow sticks – great idea! I’ve got a few LED ones that I use for scuba diving at night. They’ll work just fine.

Night fishing – I’m glad I’m not the only one scratching paint off boats hahaha It’s dark, no one sees us, shhhhhh

Sorry about not PMing some of you about tubing today. I woke up last minute and decided to go to Santa Barbara Cove (MB) again, solo this time. It was a nice day and caught a few bass.

I might take a personal day on Monday and go fishing in the AM. I’d like to hit America’s Cup Harbor or Quivira Basin. Or anywhere really. If anyone’s up to it, PM me. Smile

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I tried having my fishfinder on the opposite side of my racks but I just felt too confined.

I ended up with  something similar to what you have right now.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Jerdon -- Your previous setup looks neat though. Smile

Having my whole right side free of rods and accessories seems ideal, especially for casting. I think I'll keep everything on my left frame and add few features to it to make more versatile. Will post pics soon. Smile

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

This is what I evolved to.
I added a Rapid Release holder to the front

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I like it. You're giving me ideas. Thanks! Smile I see you're using straps instead of eyelets & trigger clips, and from the pics it seems your frame gets tilted outward. For holding rods it shouldn't matter much, but do you feel your FF is at a weird angle? Switching to eyelets screwed 1/4" outward from the center point should keep your frame straight when tied down.

Need to make another trip to HD...

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

When the tube is sitting empty the arms lean outward.
But once in the water with me sitting in it everything straightens up to perpendicular.

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Sorry I'm late. haha. Gotcha, that makes sense. Smile

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Btw I'm now selling my rod holders and FF strap since I no longer need them.

2x Caddis Sports Rod Holder

Humminbird BFT 1 Fishin' Buddy Float Tube Strap

$70 worth. Selling all for $50 (Only used them once).

I'm in Rancho Bernardo (San Diego). Smile Thanks guys

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum