FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saltwater reel question

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Saltwater reel question Empty Saltwater reel question Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:57 pm

fishin' fatty

fishin' fatty
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

guys, I have a bit of a noob question for those of you that fish on the saltwater boat charters... I recently picked up a penn squall Star drag reel and well, up until now I've used one lever drag for deep sea fishing (very rare occurrence) and star drags for fishing lures inshore, cranking as I retrieve (so the reel is already in gear) My question is, if I am fishing live bait, how do I use this reel? Free spool while bait is swimming then throw it in gear once the caught fish starts running? won't this tear up the reel, or is that what it's meant to do??? sure as hell don't wanna figure it out the hard way... my only thought is when the fish starts a grab-and-run, lift up on the rod (in free spool) then lower it quickly as I crack it into gear to lessen the shock? and in doing so, have the star drag a little light then tighten up as I set the hook? scratch

thanks in advance!

2Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:52 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

"Free spool while bait is swimming then throw it in gear once the caught fish starts running?" Correct.

"won't this tear up the reel, or is that what it's meant to do???" No, it's what's meant to do. You just need to set the drag properly or your line will break (reel won't tear up). Just set the drag to 1/3 of the breaking strength of your line, so if you're using a 30lb line, set it to a 10lb drag. Don't continuously mess with it. Set once and done! If you're unsure, stop by your local shop and have them show you, or ask when you're on the boat and they'll assist you with that.

How to set your drag properly, 2 min video: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"when the fish starts a grab-and-run, lift up on the rod (in free spool) then lower it quickly as I crack it into gear to lessen the shock?" No. When the fish starts a grab-and-run, get it in gear first, then lift up on the rod (therefore not in free spool), and reel the fish in. Let the fish run and get tired, don't fight it while it's running or you'll get tired too fast.

Fish on! Smile

3Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:29 am

fishin' fatty

fishin' fatty
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

thank you sir! yes I know how to set drag from trout/bass/inshore fishing, but live bait i'm just not that familiar. baiting a hook? setting hook? fighting fish? got all that down. even when using a lever drag I know how to use it but a star drag free spooling a live 'chovy/'dine and suddenly "hook up!" no clue if i would thrash a reel going from freespool to load that quick. your response and expertise is much appreciated. Thumbs Up

4Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:17 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The above video uses a lever drag as an example.  This is a set it and forget it system.  A star drag  you can set the same way to get decent starting point but you have the option to play with drag during a fight.  Just don't get crazy.  
Consider the fish you are targeting as to weather to set the hook and when.  General habit is give the fish a chance to eat the bait by counting a few seconds then start your reeling.  If you use circle hooks there is really no setting the hook.

5Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:07 pm

fishin' fatty

fishin' fatty
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

A very big thank you to you both! Although my question has been answered, anyone wanting to add to it I will certainly take the knowledge.

6Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:28 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Np. Smile

"A star drag  you can set the same way to get decent starting point but you have the option to play with drag during a fight." You can play with drag during a fight with a level drag reel too. It's just a bit trickier as you need to put the reel in free spool and hold the spool with your thumb while you adjust the drag. But again, if you set it properly once, you shouldn't need to adjust it while fighting a fish, ever.

As waxon67 said, use circle hooks that will automatically set on their own, usually on the side of the lip of the fish. I use Owner Gorilla ringed hooks, either 1/0 or 2/0 depending on the size of the bait. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With live bait, the bait does everything for you, kind of boring haha. Just use healthy bait (not dying, no blood, no injuries) and let it swim freely as far as possible from the boat. When you hook a fish, put the reel into gear, lift your rod up, let the fish run and get tired and reel it in. Watch your line and make sure your bait isn't swimming under the boat, but straight ahead. When it stops running, it's time to reel it in and change it for a new one. You'll know as soon as it hits the water if you picked a good bait or not; don't waste time and change it up if it isn't swimming right. Anytime I get a bait that swims out and fast, I know it's a winner.

Don't overthink it. You already know what to do. Smile

7Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:45 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I've always been told that after you get picked up, particularly on a long soak, count to 3, put that reel in gear and crank as fast as you can for a proper hook set and to take the belly out.

If I can add to the lively bait topic, sometimes they just need a back pedal.  Also, for a little while, bait has been scarce. Don't automatically just flick it off over the rail. Some conscientious deckhands will recycle them and make them more productive.

8Saltwater reel question Empty Re: Saltwater reel question Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

the man to truly talk to would be mikeotunakiller but he isn't on here much anymore. but it seems like most of the questions were taken care of, good luck out there.

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum