FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Today at 9:46 am

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grissom Island

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Grissom Island Empty Grissom Island Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Third trip out and I decided to try Grissom Island and the little rock wall just beyond it. First time launching from the sand. The hike from the parking lot to the water wasn't fun. Launching in the minimal surf was uneventful.

I spotted some kelp paddies as I was kicking out, so I stopped to toss the LC around them, but no joy. I worked a 3in BH along the way as I kicked out to the island. It's really not very far. Just as I came up to the island, I got hit by a croaker and after a lively run, he came close enough for me to see him and then he was off. Cool! Definitely off to a good start!

Three hours later and not a friggin bite. Kicked out to the little wall at the outside of the marina and worked both sides of it, worked the whole perimeter of the island. Worked the LC, worked the BH, worked the Gulp minnow drop shot. It was strictly "Go Away You Knucklehead."

I worked places that HAD to be holding fish. Rocks, kelp, differing structure, the whole shebang. There was practically a neon sign, "Fish live here." No joy.

As I was going back in, I decided to follow the rocks coming off the end of the beach jetty - there are buoys marked "Shoal" showing where they are, - plus you can see them for most of the way - and while I was bouncing a swim bait around and trying unsuccessfully to avoid the greenery (learning the ins and outs of weedless rigging is in my future) I managed to pick up a small spotty.

So not technically a skunk, but there was definitely an unpleasant whiff of something very close to it.

Rookie mistake on the new video camera, I accidentally stopped the recording as I was positioning the camera on my head, so I didn't get the croaker on cam. I discovered that about 30 minutes later and then I have an hour and 20 minutes of me continuously not catching fish. Not exactly riveting entertainment. By the time I caught the spotty, the camera battery was long dead.

Lots of time doing this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I still felt like it was a good day. I got some time in on the learning curve, my "turn around" kick is improving and tomorrow is another day. Sometimes you strike out. Playing the game means stepping up to the plate and giving it your best shot. It wouldn't be a sport if you automatically hit a home run every time.

Happy fishing!

2Grissom Island Empty Re: Grissom Island Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for the report and glad you beat the skunk.
The video cam has its own learning curve too I have found.

3Grissom Island Empty Re: Grissom Island Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Mr. Constrictor

Mr. Constrictor
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Not getting skunked is a good thing. It's always fun just being on the water doing what you love. I've done the same thing with my camera multiple times haha. Usually I forget I have it on. The more time you spend on the water the more you learn.

4Grissom Island Empty Re: Grissom Island Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:36 pm

singletrack

singletrack
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Welcome float tubing great way to catch fish. I have wanted to hit grissom island for awhile. Thanks for the report.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPxZQaZknKgs79MOETz5frQ

5Grissom Island Empty Re: Grissom Island Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:07 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Excellent report!
You'll put the wood to them next time at Grissom Island!
Perseverance and determination always triumphs!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum