FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cherry Beach 05/13/18

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

With my wife working 5am to 2p today, the plan came together all by itself. We hit the junipero parking lot at just about 6am on the dot. Took our time getting everything together (first time with these fins, forgot the battery air pump at home) and got we roughly 7am.
We were using 1/8th oz heads with perch grubs, nothing special but generally the ticket for this spot. 4 colors, Pearl White, Chartreuse with silver flake, Green with red and silver flake and Orange with gold flake. With 4 rods we used one of each color to cover the most ground for starters.
My son got the first one, a short sandbass, this was a few hundred yards down the beach toward Belmont Pier. A bit later, roughly in front of the big blue apartment complex I switched over to pearl white as my son released his 3rd fish. I started hitting at that point as well. They were holding about 50 yards to either side of the blue building (the usual spot) and most movement was in and out from shore. All barred sandbass though my son did get a little mystery fish and two pacmacs. Nothing over 12". At least it was steady action and sandies do fight well so it was a good trip. The bottom was the key, just drag the lure. About halfway through the trip.......THUMP I got tagged, taking line etc. As I brought a legal hali to my tube a lot of things became apparent. Many of which involved our lack of fish landing capability (the loud SNICK of him snapping his jaws shut.....). Luckily(?) he bent my hook out as I was trying to figure out whether to beach him or not, we'll get lip grippers before next outing.
Totals for the day were 10 sandies for me, largest being about 12", one 10" checker who asked directions to the nearest kelp paddie, 1 22"-24"hali and a short in the 14" range. My son got 6 sandies, the mystery fish, 2 pacmacs and a 10"-12" hali.
Bathroom break and slowing fishing got us out of the water about 930, gave away the last hour on our parking stub at 10 and headed for home.
It was a good session.
Sorry for the lack of pics etc. I'm a real bear about it when fishing my own product, but take vacations from it when it's just chillin' so to speak.

2Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Sun May 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Sounds like a lot of fun! Halibut are definitely toothy and sharp!

I've never launched from there, but you've definitely put it on the list for me! Thanks for the report!

3Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

On the next outing we'll be targeting bigger flatties and using a new lure. I'll post it when we're gonna go, free samples to get it more water time.

4Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Mon May 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Congratulations on your catch and the time out with your Son very lucky Dad king

5Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Well done on the outing sounds like a great one, fish after fish make for a lot of fun overall. Yep, the toothy guys are always an issue be careful. As for the lip gripper, they are not the best idea for Halibut as it will tare there lower jaw tissue. I agree if you need to use it for safety to you and your tube then do so but if you can avoid it would be better for the fish's overall health. I do use the gripper on Halibut but only the ones that are looking to hurt me because I pulled them out of there home LOL.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Mon May 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ya, thats the reason I never bought a pair. Dont carry a gaff and a net is even more of a pain. I usually just beach big fish. But next trip will be targeting biguns and we'll be further from shore. Anything that eats a 4" sand dab imitator will be good size so I'm willing to risk it. Maybe knife proof gloves?

7Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Mon May 14, 2018 2:02 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Just be safe and I am sure you will be, sounds like a good time we are looking forward to the next report.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Those teeth are more like needles than knives, so I think you would want "puncture resistant" gloves, but that's actually a good idea for those times you need to hold the fish's mouth open and reach in to unhook your bait.

9Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

The small hali's ... I'll lay their belly across the palm of my hand, then grab them by applying pressure to both of their gill plates. This is a easy way to control them while removing the hook with a pair of needle nose pliers from their mouth.

The larger halibut (14" and up 30") ... I'll control them by gently pressing them down flat against the top of my lap tray while holding them by their jaw using my BogaGrip, once they stop fighting that's when I remove the hook with a pair of needle nose pliers from their mouth.
You may also want to be conscious not to hold the Halibut in the air by the hook or with lip grippers too long because you can break their jaw as the fight to shake free.

AND always STAY CLEAR of their Piranha type toothy mouth!

I hope that this helps a bit.

SP Dan <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm; edited 3 times in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

10Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Empty Re: Cherry Beach 05/13/18 Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

That sounds about right. Back in the day I'd grab the jighead with my pliers and just twist my wrist to release the shorts. I use a floating catch bag, so keepers get put into the mouth of that for release into the bag. We had crappy jigheads and plastic pliers and no catch bags this time. I've already remedied those shortcomings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum