FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Slow day, but very good day in HH

+2
Ornery Bob
Mo2vation
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Slow day, but very good day in HH Empty Slow day, but very good day in HH Sun May 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fishing isn't always about catching fish.  

I've been doing this long enough to know the best laid plans often come spectacularly apart when they contact water.   And knowing I'm still in the learning phase for Bay and Harbor tubing, I'd call today a big win.

The Fish
Two teeny spotties.  Yay - broke my streak of Halibut.   One strike that almost tore the rod out of my hand.  And a couple of very nice SARAS (set and reel and spit).

The real objective of this outing was to:

Try the new gear:

a) 7'-1" Phenix bait casting rod with Shimano Curado 201k XG reel - filled with 30# PowerPro Braid (dark green) and 10# Seaguar Flouro.  Bait weight 1/2oz  - 1oz

b) 6'-9" Phenix bait casting rod with Shimano Citica 201 HG reel - filled with 6# mono.  Bait weight 1/4oz - 3/8oz

c) 6'-6" Fenwick spinning rod with Shimano Spirex 2000 reel - filled with 10# PowerPro braid (dark green) and 7.3# Seaguar Flouro.  Bait weight 1/16oz

d) Stabilizer bar mod added to the CastMate system

e) Re-configuring the dash... moving FishFinder to outside rail of CastMate moving phone back, moving Transducer mount, etc.

f) Trying a bunch of new baits and scents

The Solunar didn't look promising with a 6:30 launch, but I figured this was gear proving and not catching day - and the tide was promising, so I went for it.  I was the only tube in the northern harbor today.  

What I learned

* I took rig 'b' to the park for a couple of hours to get it dialed in.  So when I hit the water with the 6# mono 1/4 oz, I was hitting all my marks.  Rig 'a' didn't get the park trial....

* about rig 'a'....  I learned how to disassemble a Curado on the water, cut out the mother of all birds nests / backlash / spiderwebs, tie on another improved Alberto knot to reattach the flouro leader, restring and tie back on the bait in a receding tide while sitting in a float tube.... without running aground or being a menace to boat traffic.  Not a small task.  But a goodie I can now check off the list.   (I took a guess at freespool and brakes setting, and for about my first 20 casts, all was good.... then I reached too far, over cast and heard the sound of a birdsnest as my bait came to a halt in mid air and slapped back onto the water....)

* The Dark Sleeper baits are pretty BA.  One of the spotty Juniors and all the largest strikes came on these.  The other spotty and a few strikes came on the 1/4 oz HookUp Chovie

* Love the new dashboard config

* Love the new stabilizer bar.   Hate stepping over it in fins (fixed that by simply finning up one seated) but it makes carrying, loading dragging and walking to and from the water a breeze... a benefit I didn't anticipate.  I could mount wheels on there for the walk down the path and it'd be even more plush.  Love this thing.

* Unibutter is nasty.  Not entirely ineffective - but man, does it get everywhere.

* Hookup scent is the bomb.... squirt directly from bottle into body cavity.  Couldn't be easier or faster.  I'm getting a small squirt bottle for my other scents for sure.  

* Braid is amazing.  Its been ages, so I thought I'd give it another shot.   I saw no appreciable distance degradation (ADD...  :p) using the braid / Flouro set up.  It is confidence inspiring knowing I can make this work.  The Improved Alberto knot is cake to tie.   I'm back in the sierras in a few weeks, gonna try an Ultralight braid config on one of my rods - 8# braid to 5.2# Flouro leader.  If I can throw a 1/32oz mini jig I'll be stoked.  Tried light flouro about 10 - 12 years ago.   It wasn't ready.  Super stiff and coil-y like a phone cord.... I tore it off after 10 minutes into a pile at my feet and strung back on my 2# Mono.  We shall see...  The new ultra thin braid and softer flouro look very promising

* Its been years since I've used a baitcaster rig.  I like both of these Shimanos.  Accuracy, great distance, super touch.  This is nice.   Its weird going from Baitcaster to spinning rod and back.... the casting stroke and timing is different.  But after a few spikes I got it together.

What a day.  Was on a slow receding tide, absolutely dead slack tide, then a wee bit of push to send me back to SeaBridge park (riding the tide, OB style)... just casting and changing jigs/baits, and making notes for next trip.

This was about fishing.  Not at all about catching today.  I learned a ton.  It was a very good day.

- Ken

Light guy is 3/8oz - dark guy is 1oz
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Slow day, but very good day in HH Empty Re: Slow day, but very good day in HH Sun May 20, 2018 5:09 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Yay - broke my streak of Halibut. - If you ever hear me say I'm glad I didn't catch a halibut, shoot me. green happy

One strike that almost tore the rod out of my hand. - FWIW, both spotties and sandies often punch way above their weight class. I'm often surprised.

The Dark Sleeper baits are pretty BA - Just ordered a couple, thanks for tip!

Hookup scent is the bomb... - I couldn't agree more. The crustacean scent rocks.

The Improved Alberto knot is cake to tie. - I use the same knot, but know it as the Royal Polaris Knot.

This was about fishing.  Not at all about catching today.

My dad used to say, "If the other team doesn't win sometimes, it wouldn't be a sport"

Heck, I've had days that weren't just slow, I could hear the fish laughing at me as I got out.  Razz

Cool report, thanks!

3Slow day, but very good day in HH Empty Re: Slow day, but very good day in HH Mon May 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

That's a clean setup you have there! It's hard for me to go back to straight mono or flouro since I went to braid. You can literally feel the bottom, and bite detection is much easier for me.

Yes, the hookup bait scent is very easy to use. I find that procure (calico cocktail) works great with hookup baits as well - easy to apply and lasts a little longer than the HUB scent IMO.

I'm glad you had a productive and enjoyable outing. Maybe I'll see you out there some time

4Slow day, but very good day in HH Empty Re: Slow day, but very good day in HH Mon May 21, 2018 2:40 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

A slow day on the water is better than no time on the water right. Glad you got about and at least beat the skunk.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Slow day, but very good day in HH Empty Re: Slow day, but very good day in HH Tue May 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Looks like a fun day of sorting out toys and catching fish.

Thanks for sharing.

6Slow day, but very good day in HH Empty Re: Slow day, but very good day in HH Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx for the fish report Mo2vation! Thumbs Up
... and thanx for the shared gear and tackle information as well.

I find that shared information is always helpful to others. It opens up our imaginations
to other fishing techniques and possibilities.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum