FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Short Solo Shesh in Alamitos Bay - A day of phatties....

+2
david886720
Mo2vation
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

This morning was once again Alamitos bay.  I've decided LAB is my home water. This is a big decision for me, as home water gets awarded privileges other water doesn't:

1) its the tie breaker.  When conditions look good all over, I'll head to my home water

2) Its walk away fishing - if its a tough day, or it becomes a grind, I can walk away.  Because its home water... I'll always be back, so breakfast is an option if fishing sucks.  This is important - as if I drive a ways to fish, or even if its a local spot but not home water....I'll often over stay when it gets slow.  Hate that.  Home water, if it blows, I bolt.  I love that freedom.

Home water is a distinction I award carefully - LAB now has it.  It's earned it.    That makes me smile   Smile

I put in at 5:40 AM, and fished until about 8:50 AM before I made the long kick to the exit.

This was a weird day.  It started SO SLOW.... I was ready to bail at 6:15.... I stuck it out, and it got better as the morning unfolded.  My fishing rarely does that - usually starting off hot in the early AM / first light, then chilling as the morning rolls on.  

I liked it.  Smile

No wind, only had to change out one leader (kept breaking off... it felt fine but you never know... so I changed it and didn't break off another the rest of the day...  Cool )  

Today, like last Sunday, was the day of the toad.  5 of the first 6 fish I caught were legals, with an 18" phatty and a 16" gordo tossed into that mix.

1 kayak fisherman, three tubers and a trio of fly fishermen working the shoreline - practicing their double hauls and roll casts.  

Secret fishing hole this is not.    Red Smile

The Fish

22 total

* 20 Spotted Bay Bass (probably 10 legal... an 18"+ corn-fed toad, a 16" bullfrog, a 15", several 14"s)

* 1 Halibette (maybe 9 or 10" long...lil feller) - my first LAB Hali

* 1 teeny Yellowfin croaker

The Gear Section

* Hookup Baits.  1/4 oz Minty Fresh, 1/4 oz Sardine the Dream, 3/8 oz Sardine the Dream, 3/8 Glow Green.   HUB Crustacean (red) scent.   All four rigs were catching fish today.

* Reconfigured the Enterprise a bit - working on a re-build, so this is mid-build.  Moved rod holders and the FF and phone.  All good. Really liking it.

What I learned

* I wasn't slamming them today, so I made the circuit pretty quick.   I needed to stay patient a few times and work the pilings.  It payed off at least 4 or 5 times.  I don't like to work an area too much....but they just weren't hitting in the usual spots and my confidence was waning.  When I put my head down and focused, the fish came.

* Hook Up baits rule.  That is all.

* Almost everything made it into the tube today (stripping apron and net are often left behind....) today's orphan:  My towels.

Notes for next trip

* I don't like to grind.  And today started to feel like that, as I didn't boat a fish for the first 30 minutes or so.  For LAB that's never happened to me before, as I usually start picking them off at the launch.  I'm glad I didn't fold it up, as it got better.

* After last weekend's ripping tide swing, this was super mellow.  Easy kicking, easy to hold position.... very nice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What a morning.  So grateful I get to do this.

-Ken

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well done Ken. Looks like fun. 22 fish is a good # any day and especially with not much current moving

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

That one Spottie really put a bend in your apron. I have noticed your hat in the vidoes and as a bald guy the hat is pretty important to me. Where did you get that hat? I'd like to add one like that to my collection.

Thanks for sharing

SP Dan

SP Dan

A very good session for you indeed with 22 fish being landed.

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:That one Spottie really put a bend in your apron. I have noticed your hat in the vidoes and as a bald guy the hat is pretty important to me. Where did you get that hat? I'd like to add one like that to my collection.

Thanks for sharing

Hey buddy

Yeah - and that's with the bar I added to keep that apron taught.... that thing was a phatty.

Ah - the lid.... Razz

That's not just a hat.  Its a Tilly.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Finest lid ever made.  Been fishing them for over 30 years.

We're a cult.  Trust me.  

Smile

-Ken

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice videos! Looks like fun!

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member