FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

It was a perfect night for me to play around and try to make some tubes, so I did! Used my brand new $10 OfferUp Microwave and two of my new Anchor Hocking glasses and went to work.

About 8oz of plastic, about 14 drops of colorant, maybe some Med and small silver glitter and some black and BAM!! A slightly more translucent version of a chartreuse green. Cleanup is a breeze, have a ton of extra plastic to reheat next time. Fun as all hell, be even better if I catch a fish with one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

2New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:37 pm

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Awesome!! Are these 3"?

Would love to help you "test" some of these out the next outing I can make it to hahaha Wink

3New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Most are 3", like Bob was mentioning it's hard to keep the size since the material diminishes with each dip. I had to use two containers so I could keep refilling one as the height went down. Letting them cure, then tomorrow I will attach the eyes, redip in clear, then cut the tails and hook slit.

You know I'm gonna be fishing the hell out of them this weekend! You are welcome to try them out as well.

4New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Alakai wrote:Most are 3", like Bob was mentioning it's hard to keep the size since the material diminishes with each dip. I had to use two containers so I could keep refilling one as the height went down. Letting them cure, then tomorrow I will attach the eyes, redip in clear, then cut the tails and hook slit.

You know I'm gonna be fishing the hell out of them this weekend! You are welcome to try them out as well.

I'm sure you saw this video - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He uses a 4-cup Pyrex to do the initial dips then when the material gets down to 2-cups he transfers it all over to a 2-cup Pyrex and continues dipping. Of course, his tube jigs/molds are small enough so they can fit both 4 and 2 cup Pyrexes... man, this is making me want to get into pouring my own now haha.

5New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

4 cups is a hefty investment in one color. I used a total of about 9oz and kept refilling an Anchor Hocking 5oz measuring cup I found at Walmart. PITA to keep refilling but it saves me from wasting too much material. That plastic is damn expensive at like $50+ a gallon.

My set up can fit in a 1 cup Pyrex but even that would require me to use upwards of 12 oz of material in my test trial. It's all mad scientist stuff since I am fully protected and even use a respirator when dipping. I want to use the least amount of material since I want to do end up with about 4 colors I like in the end and find solid recipes to stick to.

6New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dude great job buddy that is looking great, I really like the color as well. That color in the HUB always works well for me, keep up the great work.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:01 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:Dude great job buddy that is looking great, I really like the color as well.  That color in the HUB always works well for me, keep up the great work.

Thanks Jeff! More to come for sure, I actually had Watermelon Red planned but somehow bought blue glitter instead of red. Gonna "wound" some of these before I clear dip them also just to play more

8New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I look forward to reading all about your test results.
I hope that you DIY pours will slay them!

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

9New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am

Great job buddy, they look great! Add me to the list of testers!

10New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So the saving grace on making your own stuff is the ability to just reheat your mistakes. I redid about five of the lures, combined the material I had and went to work. Using no more material, I made up all of these.

I then affixed eyes (too small, imo. Need to get bigger ones), painted red on some as wounds (airbrush as some point) and then redipped the heads to keep the eyes on in clear.

Also had a few of the "keitech" type swim baits made up for some fun to try.

11New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:44 pm

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice! Looking really good!

12New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

NIce looking baits.

13New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Empty Re: New Fun! Totally Tubular Tubes!! Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TobyB wrote:NIce looking baits.

Thank you! Looking forward to getting on the water with you at some point.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum