Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » Rod Action what works best from the tube.

Rod Action what works best from the tube.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I am writing an article on Rod Action and Power and I am wondering is there a better Action when float tube fishing. I myself use fast action for most rods. If you are not sure the rod action is the flex at the tip of the rod and fast action mean a 25% to 30% flex of the rod tip under pressure from the fish.

This has a lot to do with hook setting. So being that we are on the water when we set the hook is there a better Rod Action when fishing from a float tube?

This is just something that I thought about and what to see what your guys use and how what your thoughts are on this overall. So comment..........and GO!

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am

HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
This is almost impossible to answer. I use a lot of different techniques so when I go out I usually have 3 or 4 different rods and each one is based on what baits I throw. Paddletail swimbaits, jigs, dropshot, senkos, big trout swimbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, carolina rig....all need different setups so different actions and rod strengths depend on baits. Each bait has different weights and hooks so all of that goes into consideration. That being said when I fish Newport Harbor, using small swimbaits I throw a MH fast rod, when I throw bait, I use MH, action doesn't matter to me.

3Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
True I was just wondering if we had less backbone in the rod and go to set a hook being on the water would there be less force coming through the rod tip vs. from shore or in a large boat. I agree this would be hard to explain thanks HugeEuge57 what does everyone else think.

4Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
I think it may be easier to go by target fish, technique or discipline. For instance Drop Shot, what rod or Wackey what rod. As far as tube vs shore or boat I prefer shorter handles on the tube. I still have Fiberglas rods in my arsenal that I like to drag out.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

5Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm

HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I think for jigs and baits with bigger hooks yes backbone is important. For dropshot with little thin hooks not so much...but I get what you're trying to ask.

6Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:05 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
That is a tough question to answer.  When I use my ned rig set up i am using a medium rod with a fast action. My bait casting rods that I use are fast action when throwing smaller swimbaits. I have a medium heavy rod that has a regualr action, this rod I use to throw heavier lead heads 3/8oz and up and also throw spinnerbaits. I have a cranking rod that is a slower action. You need that slower action for crankbaits so you don't pull the bait out of the fishes mouth. Action all depends on the baits you want to throw. If you want an action that can kind of do it all a regular action is pretty good, you can throw worms, jigs, swimbaits, spinnerbait and crank baits on this action. I guess that makes it the jack of all trades action.

7Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:01 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I also think the bait you intend to cast has a lot to do with what you pitch, cast. And for me it is spotties using Hookup Baits, 1/4 ounce, period. My gear is two rods, bait casters. I will start with my # 2 setup

Sixgill SAGA 7' 2" medium power rod matched with a Diawa TATULA 150 bc.
Rod is to soft, limits casting, even with 6 pound XXX line. Action good

My go to setup is

Phoenix Maxim 7' 3" Medium Heavy, Fast action, 1/4 - 1 ounce lure, 10 - 17 pound test, matched to a Shimano TRANX 200 bc
Excellent rod for spotties. Cast great, nice back to it and great sensitivity.

I like bait caster rods because the line runs on top of the back and tip of the rod. With spinning rod the line runs on the eyes. I have used spinning in the past for spotties, not the same fight or feel, just my 2 cents...........GT

8Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:17 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Great info everyone keep it coming.

9Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:49 pm

steve-aka-fishy

steve-aka-fishy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
These are my go to's for bass fishing in a tube. For drop shotting I like a spinning 7' - 7'2" medium fast action rod. For jigs, wacky rig and texas rigs I like a baitcasting 7' - 7'4" med heavy fast action rod.

10Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:43 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:These are my go to's for bass fishing in a tube. For drop shotting I like a spinning 7' - 7'2" medium fast action rod. For jigs, wacky rig and texas rigs I like a baitcasting 7' - 7'4" med heavy fast action rod.

Thanks for this info I like the longer rods as well. I use to use an 8 ft rod it did well for me as well.

11Rod Action what works best from the tube. Empty Re: Rod Action what works best from the tube. on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:05 pm

OldMan

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
When fishing for most trout, I use a tiny Daiwa ultralight setup. Ultrafast action. For salmon I will use much larger Daiwa gear (2600C reel, 7' D-spin rod). Looking forward to Salmon fishing this spring...(My sister and her husband will join us on a guided day)

In the tube, it's strictly ultralight gear. Places I fish don't require anything bigger.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum