FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Newby with a few questions

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Newby with a few questions Empty Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:21 pm

wudstoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi Guys,
Thanks for letting me in,
I live in So Cal and want to try float tube fishing in the harbor. I have fresh water fished but never in the ocean. So I am looking for suggestions and advice on a bait caster reel ( what poundage of line) same with the rod.
I don’t mind spending money but don’t have deep pockets either.
Thanks in advance.

2Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:37 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use the same thing I use at the local park to catch LMB. But instead of 40 lb. braid I have gone down to 10-14 lb fluorcarbon. My go to rods are 7'1" Med/Hvy with a Curdo K 201 baitcaster and a 6'9" med with A C3000 Sedona spinning reel. The first baitcaster i bought a few years ago was a 7' med/hvy Pro Max combo. It was used almost every day for about 4 months straight with no problems. I hit the Harbor almost every Wednesday and Saturday, so if you need a fishing partner let me know.

wudstoc likes this post

3Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:38 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

And welcome to the forum.

4Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Welcome aboard wudstoc! Thumbs Up

I'm strictly into Spinning reels but we have a slough of great anglers here that use Casting reels, that should be chime-in pretty soon!

FYI ... myself and others will often post-up "Open Invites" for all to join.
We also have events in-which we gather for a Toy Drive (Nov & Dec).

I fish in the SoCal water's and I hope to hook-up with ya one day soon! Thumbs Up

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

wudstoc likes this post

5Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:45 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

JohnnyB wrote:I use the same thing I use at the local park to catch LMB. But instead of 40 lb. braid I have gone down to 10-14 lb fluorcarbon. My go to rods are 7'1" Med/Hvy with a Curdo K 201 baitcaster and a 6'9" med with A C3000 Sedona spinning reel. The first baitcaster i bought a few years ago was a 7' med/hvy Pro Max combo. It was used almost every day for about 4 months straight with no problems. I hit the Harbor almost every Wednesday and Saturday, so if you need a fishing partner let me know.

FYI ... I'm free for fishing every Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat and Sunday as well! Thumbs Up lol

6Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:02 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dan do you have something against fishing on Tues and Thurs? lol

7Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:25 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Ha ha ha! ... No Johnny ... nothing at all! Smile
I have on going physical therapy appointments every Tues and Thurs, so I need to fish and stay close to home. lol

8Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:29 pm

wudstoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

Actually I do want a spinning reel as well. I think one of each in the tube would be fun,
Thank you for the invites and hopefully I can come.

My go to rods are 7'1" Med/Hvy with a Curdo K 201 baitcaster and a 6'9" med with A C3000 Sedona spinning reel.

Thank you guys for all the info

9Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:36 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I often get line wraps on my rod tips.
This is why I prefer a 6 ft rod on a float tube, so that I can reach it and unwrap it.

I also use rods rated 4 - 8 lb med fast

Great to have you aboard my friend!  Thumbs Up

SP Dan

wudstoc likes this post

10Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:37 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome wudstoc these guys have you dialed in buddy you are in the right place.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wudstoc likes this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

11Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum wudstoc.

I see you are already enjoying the discussion and ideas.

12Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I really like the ideal of a shorter rod. Many times im soaking my reel in the water trying to untwist the line or get it through the last couple of eyes. Something to think about

13Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:31 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

JohnnyB wrote:I really like the ideal of a shorter rod. Many times im soaking my reel in the water trying to untwist the line or get it through the last couple of eyes. Something to think about

Here’s my BIG secret ..... Shhhhhhhhhh!! 🤚

Short sticks combo’d with Force Fin’s because they have a V notch at the top of the blade,
I raise my fin tip above the water, this allows me to set my rod-handle in the V of my fin tip, it’s secure, I am now practically hands-free and my reel is out of the water, now I can work on my rod tip or re-thread the eyes ... no more problems of soaking reels.

My 2-cents,

SP Dan

wudstoc likes this post

14Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 am

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hmm.. Guess i will notch the fins i have

15Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:57 am

wudstoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

I would love to fish during the week, my only problem is I am not retired yet..... Hopefully someday
as soon as i get my stuff and act together I will search you guys out and hopefully we can meet and fish together. I am always willing to learn

16Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:55 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I can fish on the weekends, I just prefer weekdays.

Here’s my second use of my Force fins:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wudstoc likes this post

17Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:58 am

wudstoc

FTFF Gathering Officer

So are my snorkel fins good enough?[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

18Newby with a few questions Empty Re: Newby with a few questions Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:36 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

wudstoc wrote:So are my snorkel fins good enough?[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Definitely will do the job! ... with the notch in your fin!  Thumbs Up

wudstoc likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum