FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Today at 11:25 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Pablosparky Today at 10:11 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

More technique...great for the salt too

+3
LGHT
n2deepfsw
waxon67
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1More technique...great for the salt too Empty More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good info. ....

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What size weight would you normally use for something like that? Seems like even the small 4oz weight is pretty heavy.

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

1/4 oz is pretty good choice. Maybe up to a 3/8 if you have a lot of water movement . Change up the leader length too. I like a short leader when fishing for spotties and hali. This is a great technique for heavy eel grass and weed settings. It lets the weight take on the rough and leaves the bait to move about in the strike zone. I prefer this over a simple T-rig with a worm weight up against the bait. Jerk shad is killer on this rig.

4 oz is too heavy for this.

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

he said 1/4 0z. ocean i would not go over 1/2 oz. i like to stay about 3/8 oz. and if your using 4 oz. weight than you are in a boat right

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would use 4oz for something like a dropper loop set up but not a C-rig. Even if I was fishing for bigger game in deep water I would keep the weight as light as I could get away with.

If I was after mud marlins I might use 1-2 oz on a C-rig.

If I was pier fishing I might go heavy on the weight say for a pin rig or something to stay in one spot but let my bait move freely.

If I was going to troll for hali I would beef up the weight just so I could keep the bottom in contact.

In fresh water I would go as light as I could get away with and still be on the bottom. Especially now in cold water and the fish are sluggish and lazy. You have to look at this as a finesse technique. As the fresh water gets colder you have to slow down your presentations.

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok I thought he said 4oz not 1/4 oz. That's why I was a bit confused. I haven't done a lot of bass fishing so still learning a lot. I did notice that was a HUGE leader so i'll have to give that a try in the weeded areas.

I use a 4oz all the time when fishing for halis over in PV. However it's a dropper loop setup and we where on a slow drift so it worked great.

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Im gonna try that this sunday!

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Me to I.got.a.new reel and I will set it up wow thanks thom

10More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Another southeast, take on a technique that was invented here in the west. Early on in the seventies when REAL finesse fishing was pioneered here in California the Carolina rig was called the Sliding sinker or trout rig and was fished with NO MORE than a half once weight and a 4"-6" floating tail worm. When the Southeast pros started Carolina Rigging it was classically rigged with 3/4 or 1 oz. weights. Mainly because of the long leader, and to facilitate casting with bait casting reels. (this was before pros like KVD who fished primarily spinning outfits) The Carolina Rig is fished best with a MH Spinning outfit! also the Carolina rig is a soft structure rig so keep in mind that when fishing heavy western cover (thin hard wood brush as opposed to grass or soft weed) it may not be the rig of choice. Also the Carolina rig because of the slack line created between the hook and weight allows for a lot of undetected bites. Not a good exploratory rig. The Carolina rig is what is known as a limit or five fish rig. Fished slow over a wide area in an attempt to put a limit of fish in the boat during tournament fishing. Much like shake'n a worm or jigging. The ideas is to use a heavy weight dragged on the bottom to create dust clouds and noise. The attraction is the weight, not the bait. I have never been a big fan of the Carolina Rig because it just does not suit our western waters.

Here's a tip: If you want to maximize the effect of your carolina rig try dressing the weight with skirts (the old Indian jig) or wire stand ups to create more commotion on the bottom. As well as gluing glitter to the weight for better visual attraction. and don't forget the clackers and beads! Or even try water bobbers when fishing in grass, ( an old tournament secret )

hope this helps bodfish

11More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:17 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good info. bodfish! Thanks

12More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:20 pm

i may have to try this out this sunday Very Happy

13More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I thought the same thing.

14More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 pm

well i have enough rods now. 2 baitcasters and 1 spinner lol! so i guess i could try something new with one of the outfits

15More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sounds like your ready for Sundays session!!

16More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:33 pm

yes i am, returned my leaky waders and got a new pair tonite right along with a new rod for my 50e.
I may return the rod but I'll see tomorrow

17More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good deal! What rod did you get for the 50e?

18More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:47 pm

shimano clarus 6'8" 8-14lb med. Im going to look for something 6-12lb and plus I'm not really liking the eyes on this rod. it seems like there is not enough ?

19More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:49 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I thought you were gonna get the crucial ?

20More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm

yeah so did i but i kinda didnt want spend anymore money right now but there is tomorrow

21More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:59 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yup, it adds up fast.

22More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:01 am

that it dose real fast

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

There is a shimano rod at big 5 for 25the buck I use it on my 200e5 works great and I believe it is in tour specs

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ed,what model rod?

25More technique...great for the salt too Empty Re: More technique...great for the salt too Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:40 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
The ideas is to use a heavy weight dragged on the bottom to create dust clouds and noise. The attraction is the weight, not the bait.

That's exactly what I learned about catching hali's here in Cali. The reason why we would drift with a 4oz weight would be to create a trail of dust and commotion on the bottom to attract the hali's who would then see the bait. Out of all the lakes I fished I could never do that because of all the crap on the bottom.

Would would be a good lake to try that type of technique on? I have yet to fish a lake that wasn't covered in crap, but it would sure be nice to for once.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum