FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by BenPhartin Today at 7:45 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Targeting Hali with Luckycrafts & Crocs from da Tube?

+3
waxon67
MASSfisher
Docrunner
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

These are the common players when targeting halibut from the sand..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Obviously, the BH swimbaits also work.

But.. I don't seem to see tubing reports of 'buts caught on the LC or the kroc? Or even tried? Seems like people like the BH swimbaits, jigs, DS, etc. Is there a reason the LC110 and the kroc are not good choices from the tube? Is it the technique of the retrieve? Whatchy'all think? What are your GO-TO techniques and lures when targeting halibut on the float tube? I suspect there are some big legal 'buts in the LAB and LBC, just not sure how best to go get 'em. -J.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

From the tube i prefer LIVE DINES!

But they can be a PITA. Big Hammers and T&C's usually do the trick for me. Honestly...for some odd reason i stopped throwing LC's and krocks a long time ago...not sure why. The kroc is awesome and from the tube would be great.....but the LC seems like a bad choise because of tge depth that is swims at. From the surf you can get that bait in the strike zone no problem...from a tube this could be hard although it seems a lot easier to use that bait from the tube at the LAB.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a nervousness about all those hooks around my tube. But ya, I have just felt it was a depth issue. The Kroc's I have considered before but I just forget to throw them.

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:From the tube i prefer LIVE DINES!

But they can be a PITA. Big Hammers and T&C's usually do the trick for me. Honestly...for some odd reason i stopped throwing LC's and krocks a long time ago...not sure why. The kroc is awesome and from the tube would be great.....but the LC seems like a bad choise because of tge depth that is swims at. From the surf you can get that bait in the strike zone no problem...from a tube this could be hard although it seems a lot easier to use that bait from the tube at the LAB.
Thx Brian! Yeah, live dines seem like PITA.. but I'd try it sometime. Where do you get them? I guess a bait barge? I know you also do some trap rig squid for halibut, right? I think you had email or PM'd me a pic or just a written description of that, but I can't seem to find it now. Mad

Can you resend it? or better yet, share it here? No rush... anytime. Thanks man! -J. Thumbs Up

waxon67 wrote:I have a nervousness about all those hooks around my tube. But ya, I have just felt it was a depth issue. The Kroc's I have considered before but I just forget to throw them.

ooohf! .. good point!
pun intended.. "hisssssss!! SH*T!!!" affraid

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:I have a nervousness about all those hooks around my tube. But ya, I have just felt it was a depth issue. The Kroc's I have considered before but I just forget to throw them.

I agree, those hooks are easy to snag the tube. Be very careful

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

If I fish with crank baits I usually will dump the fish in my floating fish hold and carefully remove the hooks. I will fish the crank baits when ever I move to another area, kinda like trolling,..

https://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lok Dog wrote:

If I fish with crank baits I usually will dump the fish in my floating fish hold and carefully remove the hooks. I will fish the crank baits when ever I move to another area, kinda like trolling,..

I am going to start fishing the cranks and jerk baits more this season. I like the fish hold idea. Keeps the tube out of harms way more? Good idea man thanx!

x2, i have been throwing them but yet to hook up. I have nervousness just throwing them outside of the tube after getting hook once.

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:

x2, i have been throwing them but yet to hook up. I have nervousness just throwing them outside of the tube after getting hook once.

Amen brother. I have some hook shy issues going on myself. Hee hee, I'm a big baby. Ask Ed. Rolling Eyes

waxon67 wrote:
miller wrote:

Amen brother. I have some hook shy issues going on myself. Hee hee, I'm a big baby. Ask Ed. Rolling Eyes

those hooks are sharp and they hurt Crying or Very sad I have gotten 2 hooks in my hand befor from those awesome lucky crafts, not fun when the fish is on the 3rd hook

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok. Awesome tips! It also occurred to me sometime some areas, those three trebles might rake and snag eel grass more? Anyways, sounds like luckycraft, not so lucky! I'll try tossing the Kroc. Any other tips? -J

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

you can add a sliding sinker (small) to your line ahead of your crank to increase depth and action. If you add a somewhat heavier sinker and set up a leader you can bounce off the bottom and possible keep the crank closer to bottom and in the strike zone.

Need to know what feesh you really want to target. Lizzies love to hit cranks. So do smelt.

Something to think about is barracuda like to hit lures like this. I have caught one in NP but not on a crank. Areas like we fished last Sunday might be good zones to try this when the water warms up a bit more.

I have done some crank mods and added BH swim tails to them. Need to try them out!

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Docrunner wrote:Ok. Awesome tips! It also occurred to me sometime some areas, those three trebles might rake and snag eel grass more? Anyways, sounds like luckycraft, not so lucky! I'll try tossing the Kroc. Any other tips? -J
Switch the Kroc treble out to a single hook.
Less snags.

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Those LC's used to be all the rage for Halibut from the surf but I honestly have never had any luck with them and the 3 hooks is a pita to deal with, I have acutally had more luck with the Rapala salt water X-Raps and the Yozuri pins-magnets for Hali.

Someone had noted that BPS makes a lure almost identical to the LC's for about 1/3 the price and to remove the middle hook to improve the action and make releasing easier.

As far as crocs the only thing I have ever caught on a croc is a seagul that tried to hit it on the cast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum