FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some things just work out....

+4
hobie278
lovetofish
.:LOLLY:.
Gatorfan
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Some things just work out.... Empty Some things just work out.... Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So you all saw my first mod to my rod rack that accommodated by Fishin' Buddy 120. Well, I found out after using it a couple of times that the 45° tubes just didn't work for me because I do a lot of "up close and personal" fishing around the tullies. It just so happens that lovetofish here was interested in the rack that I made and we worked it out for him to buy it (I hope it works great for you Rene!) and have one of his friends bring it up to him (to avoid crazy shipping costs).

I knew that I wanted to make a simple rack with 90° tubes but I also wanted it to accommodate my FB still. After seeing fisherofmen's rack, something clicked...why not make it so I can use the mounting "cup" that came on the clamp like FOM did! The only problem was that the cup doesn't quite fit into a 2" piece of ABS....nothing a heat gun and a little patience can't take care of! Very Happy

I cut a small piece of 2", heated it with the heat gun just to the point that it was pliable and then quickly put the "cup" in it and placed the entire thing in the freezer for a minute. I then drilled a 3/8" hole through the pipe for insurance and wah lah, a custom mount for my FB that I can remove and still use with the clamp!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As you can see in this picture, I "kicked" the mount for the FB out just a little so as to avoid any interference with my fins or the tube.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just thought I would share in case some of you might be looking for a new idea...

2Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Looks good but I think the rod rack might still want to tip forward since the fishing buddy has some weight to it and it projects forward quite a bit. I think a shorter arm or some support towards the bottom of the rack would be ideal to keep it from wanting to tip forward. That's just me thinking out loud. I could be wrong.

3Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Looks good but I think the rod rack might still want to tip forward since the fishing buddy has some weight to it and it projects forward quite a bit. I think a shorter arm or some support towards the bottom of the rack would be ideal to keep it from wanting to tip forward. That's just me thinking out loud. I could be wrong.

It's not pictured here but there is a bungee that goes from the back of the rack to the D-ring on the other side of the tube. That keeps it from tipping. Otherwise, you would be right, it did tip forward.

4Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 pm

lovetofish

lovetofish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks Gatorfan! Can't wait to put your rod rack to use!

5Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 am

looks good and nice mod with the heat gun Thumbs Up

6Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 am

hobie278

hobie278
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Looks great Jim.

7Some things just work out.... Empty Gatorfan rack design add on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 am

fishy1

FTFF Gathering Officer

Just wanted to thank you for your post, using heat gun worked great. Added rod holder two different ways and a safty cable for fish finder. Hope you like.

Sorry i could not figure out how to post photos

Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photos)

8Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The holders just hang there on the D-rings? They dont flop around?

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

9Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have a small bungee on the front (around the front tube to keep it from leaning out) and another one from the back of the rack to the other side of the tube. I bought my bungee material and made them to fit.

10Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:39 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I gotcha. They don't wrap around the tubes like so many others I've seen. I like their discrete aspect, too.
I'm kinda minimalist, and some designs I've seen mostly take over the tube.... more PVC pipe than a house!

11Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:19 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I used the same concept on this rack for my son except I made a small bungee that runs from d-ring to d-ring on the rack side of the tube (to keep it from leaning out) and then another bungee that goes from the back/bottom of the rack to the d-ring on the other side of the tube. The good thing about buying the material and making your own bungees is that you can keep modifying them until you get it just right. And the material is cheap enough that it's no big deal if you cut it too short, just make another one Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 am

sLiM562

sLiM562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

thats a pretty nice set up you got there on both the odc and the cumberland

https://www.facebook.com/addison.danh

13Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:12 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Looks great gatorfan!

14Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:05 am

Idratherbefishing

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Where can you get the bungee materials I'm guessing Lowes or Home Depot correct me if I'm wrong

15Some things just work out.... Empty Re: Some things just work out.... Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:07 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Idratherbefishing wrote:Where can you get the bungee materials I'm guessing Lowes or Home Depot correct me if I'm wrong

I'm sure there are different sources, but I buy mine here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum