FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Questions??

+6
Fisher
wiseguy
soonernick
n2deepfsw
jeffcpr
Idratherbefishing
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Questions?? Empty Questions?? Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Idratherbefishing

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

What is everyone's opinion on rain and how it affects the bite? As well as the new moon and full moon? confused

2Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:40 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am cool with fishing in the rain, not that I think it is any better but I can handle that better than the bone chilling cold.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've had my best fishing days in the rain... But the wind forget about it!

4Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Idratherbefishing

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I've heard about this concept on fishing the shores on windy days where fishing with the wind in your face is better because it pushes the forage and baitfish towards that shoreline I did my PB on a windy day where I went to point and just casted against the wind

5Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:18 am

soonernick

FTFF Gathering Officer

I don't know a thing about the salt but here in OK the rain is go time for bass. Just watch out for tornado's. affraid

6Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've had some of the best fishing days while its pouring rain!

7Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:55 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i would say it depends some days r good in the rain n some arent i perfer to fish when the sun is up and its hot out gives me more of a idea where there goin to be hiddin when its rainin there more active tryin to find food insteadof waitin for it

8Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm

bootsknocka

FTFF Gathering Officer

I am not a meterologist so some of my terminology may be wrong, but... rain typically happens when a front is coming through.
A cold front is tough fishing - barometer pressure sinks and fish get tight lipped.
so, i guess depending on cold front/warm front, that would determine if it turns the bit on or not.

9Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya cold is not a good time to fish, here is Socal we have had a few cold fronts come through. But we do get some warm or semi-warm rains here. Nice to stand in and to fish in. But the last few cold fronts screw it I will watch fishing from the warmth of my house.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

10Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Now, you're playing with some major scientific approaches here. As bootsknocka and Jeff indicated, cold front, dropping more than 15Hg, will kill the bites, unless you entice them with offer that will not allow them to pass on. The reason why is the cold water kicks the metabolic level down, creating a semi-lockjaw effect to prevent slow digestion from killing the fish. This goes the same for us, to some extent, during stressful situation and extreme hot/cold days. Small meals, like a 1/4 to 1/2 size worm while wiggling like crazy, or a very small dying bait fish (ice jig), will entice the consumption against the fish's instinct not to bite.

Now, for the full moon, sorry to say, but it starts since 3/4 moon phases, to full, and to 3/4 moon again. 1/2 moon phases, not so much. During this time, the fishes are actively hunting throughout the night, not worrying about aerial predator from above. That's why the bites stink during the day hours.

For rain, depending on the temperature, if it's between late spring to late fall, the bite will be hot, since the fishes timed the mating and maturing insects from the local foliage and tall weeds in the water. This is prime time for quick high protein meals. This especially true between early summer to late fall, since there are so many mating activities of all insects, and reptiles.

So, the key is, timing is critical. When fishing in the local waters, observation is the key factor in making or breaking your skunk.

11Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Idratherbefishing

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Great to know guys no wonder I went out one time when it was a full moon thinking it was going to be good fishing and I couldn't even get the fish to bite they were there because I was looking at them swim by i kept trying different presentations changing lures but got nothing but one that got away it was a good lesson learned

12Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would like to offer you a suggestion that will get them to bite during the early evening, as the sun just fully set from the horizon, and a few hours before the sun is up. Noticed how the floats designed for fishing, including glow sticks, are in the spectrum of bright and dull green? There's a reason for that. Moonlight has a spectrum that falls within the green color, which, when bright enough, fools the fish that there's moonlight to hunt with.

I got this at Bass Pro Shop many years ago:

I either mount it directly under my pontoon, or my float tube, allowing the light to scatter just about 1 to 2 feet below surface. The fish will literally flock to you to feed on baitfish, which feed on water bugs that congregate around the light, thinking it's a full moon reflection, which triggers mating/socializing activities.

Just make sure you don't use the same lighting condition in waters that have apex predator that will make a meal out of you, ie. gators and gars.

13Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 am

leftcross

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

i have this theory myself. whether its raining, sunny, full moon or half moon... if u put a bait in their face. they will chomp down.

i never look at things like tide or moon phases. but if its raining im staying home Smile

14Questions?? Empty Re: Questions?? Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dont mind the rain, but will reconsider them windy cold days. Im with @leftcross my ass is staying home.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum