FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

San Diego County Reservoir Requirement

+2
.:LOLLY:.
1moreCast
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Empty San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 am

1moreCast

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm new to float tubing and was planning on hitting up a local reservoir here in San Diego. I was reading the requirements and here is what it says:
"Float tubers must wear chest waders and have a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device readily available at all times, and have 144 square inches of international orange visible at least 12 inches above the water line. They must also possess a horn or whistle to warn approaching craft. Any float tube that uses oars or has a motor must purchase a private boat use permit."

How does one get 144 square inches of international orange on their tube or person?

Thanks,
1morecast:D

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

144 square inches is a square that measures 12"X12". So you can either wear an orange vest or some how add an orange flag to your tube.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Oh and welcome to the boards

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The Cumberland already has the orange where the two bladders meet.  My son's ODC420 doesn't, but his PDF is a standard international orange type so that fits the requirement.  You could wear an international orange hat or shirt, or just tie a rag to your tube if it's a concern.  Some tubes even have a slot on the back of the seat that accommodates those warning flags you see on ATVs in the desert.  Honestly, I see most tubers out there without the orange requirement and have never seen anyone stopped for it.  I see the importance though when the big boats are zippin' around and it would probably be even more important on the bay.  In reality, it's only 12"X12" (144 square") so it shouldn't be hard to comply.

Last edited by Gatorfan on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

1moreCast

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks..guys. That sounds simple enough. Once I get my fins and pfd, I'm going to break in the new tube. Anyone willing to let a rookie tag along on their next tube session let me know. I'm hoping to start off at Miramar Reservoir first and then hit up Mission bay once I get the hand of things.

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I'll be dropping into Lower Otay in an hour or so and probably again on Saturday/Sunday. When are you getting your gear?

1moreCast

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hey Gatorfan,

I'm getting my tube next week and I hope to get the fins and pfd sometime this week. Once I'm all rigged up I'll shoot you a pm.

Thanks,
1morecast

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Sounds good

9San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Empty Re: San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:29 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

My buddy painted his hat orange works great you can see BIM a me away

10San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Empty Re: San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i would call the lake and ask if they inforce those rules not all lakes care about a pfd and having a horn or whistle (i no perris doesnt haha) or talk with someone that fishes the lake dont waste your money n get all that stuff and not need it down the road

11San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Empty Re: San Diego County Reservoir Requirement Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the board. As Lolly said, vest, or flag. I prefer the flag, since SD areas has notorious fast boaters that don't pay attention to surface huggers like tubers. If your float tube has a frame, set yourself up with a flag.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum