FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 4:06 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by Jerdon Today at 2:42 pm

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 12:48 pm

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 11:33 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New to float tubing!

+10
BassHunter
jeffcpr
Fisher
wiseguy
SirMixALot
Tony G Fishing
kobra
Yellowrock
Jerdon
LSUmane87
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1New to float tubing! Empty New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi guys I've never been float tubing before and have only discovered it this year fumbling around on YouTube,needless to say it looks like an absolute blast! I just ordered a cumberland from gobs of research and just ordered a castmate pro to go with it. Was wondering if you guys might have a gear check for me? Like good flippers,nets,etc etc I sure appreciate it!

2New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome LSUmane87!

There are a LOT of recommendations, reports, and reviews on what you need here.

Fins, waders, fish finder, lure retriever, 5 gallon bucket for storage

I recommend Force Fins I've had mine for 25 years plus so the cost is 10 bucks a year.
I wear my surfing wetsuits, but I'd recommend waders with a fly, we can stay out there a LONG time.
I use my trout net and it seems to be fine. I don't have a fishfinder but it is on the list. Just depends on how much you can spend.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:17 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thank you!I plan on mostly doing bass and pan fishing, with the 5 gal bucket do you just float it ontop of the water?

4New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I put the bucket in the back for backrest support and keeps everything dry.
Oh, rod holder & extra bungee cords for whatever reasons like tying to a buoy line so you're not blown all over the place on windy days.

5New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

Ah that makes sense. You guys have this to a science I have always been a techy anytime I get into something I want the gear to make it less of a headache. So far I'm looking at flippers,what kind of pump would you recommend and would I need to keep that on the tube?

6New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

The 5 gallon bucket fits great in back ( I have the Cumberland too), is cheap or free, and holds clothes, food, water bottles. I used to use a lunch box, but jackets presented a problem, and you can throw a fish or stringer right in the bucket. I line the bucket with a trash bag so if I keep fish I can carry the rest of the junk in the bag.

I don"t keep a pump cause it only takes a few breaths to top it off, but I have a Suburban or truck to use for hauling and I have 3/4 inflated before I leave.

7New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

Very nice have you heard of anyone having their own live well system? Or do most people use stringers

8New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Stringers but there's a few guys here that has a floating live well "cage" tied to a rope and they let it float freely. I'm sure they'll chime on in soon enough.

9New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

A pfd and landing net are required to be on board.
As for me, rod holder/ fish finder set up, a heavy duty 15 foot stringer for keeping the tube from floating away when beached or tying off to something while fishing and sometimes an anchor.

10New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:03 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Welcome lsumane87....lots of knowledge on here peeps will put in their 2 cents.....oh and as for a pump i keep one in my car....they r fairly cheap at wallmart...found mine for 9 bucks...its in the camping area....good luck....

11New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 am

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I like to keep it simple. All you need is the essentials: breathable waders, fins, gaff, plastic mallet(for the seals and fiesty halibuts), 3 rods, landing net, fishfinder, water proof box for ff battery, waterproof box for personal items, 20-30 extra plastics, weedless jig heads, offset hooks, dropshot weights, sliders, spinner baits, crank baits, a rod rack on both sides, knife, measuring tape, extra fluoro spools, needle nose pliers, dikes, floating lip gripper, sun block, hat, stringer, pfd, water, snacks, and some cold ones in the summer. Like I said, keep it simple.

12New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:41 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome, you've come to the right place to find what your looking for. Poke around, I'm sure you will find great advice here.

13New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:53 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

SirMixALot wrote:I like to keep it simple. All you need is the essentials: breathable waders, fins, gaff, plastic mallet(for the seals and fiesty halibuts), 3 rods, landing net, fishfinder, water proof box for ff battery, waterproof box for personal items, 20-30 extra plastics, weedless jig heads, offset hooks, dropshot weights, sliders, spinner baits, crank baits, a rod rack on both sides, knife, measuring tape, extra fluoro spools, needle nose pliers, dikes, floating lip gripper, sun block, hat, stringer, pfd, water, snacks, and some cold ones in the summer. Like I said, keep it simple.

forgot whistle lol lol  Thumbs Up 

14New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

this guy is fishing fresh water ppl he doesnt need a gaff or a landing net haha pfd u dont need unless the lake u are fishing requires it what u need is fins waders for the cold weather but u wont be needing them now inless the water your fishing requires them most sd lakes do and a pump u can get a pump from wally world for about 5-10$ dont overload your self the first time out take what u need and go from there

15New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:39 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

Excellent ideas I tend to go overboard with everything I do lol thanks for your input guys it's a lake on a campground I will be fishing for the first time. Trying to gear up now for the trip. I was thinking about a floating live well cage also and do you guys recommend a fish finder or is that Not a must? I'm still up in the air about fins I don't know if I can swing the 180+ for the force fins just yet is there a cheaper alternative that works good?

16New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:52 pm

SirMixALot

SirMixALot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Oh yeah I forgot my rape whistle.

17New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

LSUmane87 welcome to the board glad you found us you are in the right place. As for fins my 2 cents is this, dive fins the will serve the purpose till you can get in to a better pair, but I still use the same dive fins I started with years ago.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

18New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:05 pm

BassHunter

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Check eBay for the force fins you can get lucky and score a used pair on there for a great price, I just won a pair on eBay for $95 !

19New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:49 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

BassHunter wrote:Check eBay for the force fins you can get lucky and score a used pair on there for a great price, I just won a pair on eBay for $95 !
I'm bidding on a set of XXL force fins right now actually lol

20New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:13 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

jeffcpr wrote:LSUmane87 welcome to the board glad you found us you are in the right place.  As for fins my 2 cents is this, dive fins the will serve the purpose till you can get in to a better pair, but I still use the same dive fins I started with years ago.
thank you sir! I'm trying to gear up before my first trip I'm gonna travel light for the first time I purchased the castmate pro set up I am getting the tube and the castmate Friday I'm excited to put it all together has anyone had experience with the castmate? I've seen a couple people mention it and Some people make their own.

21New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

LSUmane87,
I won a CastMate here this month and I had already built my own rack from ABS plastic. The CastMate is very secure with vecro and a strap to hold everything tight. The adjustability is great compared to the one I built, and the availability to "grow" by adding on to CastMate with prefabbed holders is nice.

22New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Thu May 01, 2014 1:12 pm

LSUmane87

LSUmane87
FTFF Gathering Officer

Jerdon wrote:LSUmane87,
I won a CastMate here this month and I had already built my own rack from ABS plastic. The CastMate is very secure with vecro and a strap to hold everything tight. The adjustability is great compared to the one I built, and the availability to "grow" by adding on to CastMate with prefabbed holders is nice.
good to know I love customization. I'll post up some photos of the items I should be receiving them tomorrow.

23New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Thu May 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:LSUmane87,
Jerdon,
Did you have problems getting the ends off?

24New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

kobra wrote:A pfd and landing net are required to be on board.

What state requires a landing net???

25New to float tubing! Empty Re: New to float tubing! Thu May 01, 2014 5:54 pm

fisheromen wrote:
kobra wrote:A pfd and landing net are required to be on board.

What state requires a landing net???

Ca does for salt water anyways, not sure about fresh

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum