FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weirdest thing you have Caught ?

+7
DPevin
bigfish
mattmuerto
Jerdon
Tony G Fishing
jeffcpr
supsurfer
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:17 am

I would like to hear what the weirdest thing you guys have caught while fishing ?

For me it would have to be while i was fishing the river in so cal for trout using powerbait during night . I casted my line in the pitch dark and i never heard my bait hit the water I was like odd . so i start to take up some slack and feel something wiggling on the end of my line . I start reeling in and as i get closer to the bank i see what appears to be a leaf on my line coming across the water . I reach down to grab the leaf and it Grabs me back Shocked so i turned on my flash light and to my surprise it was a BAT with my powerbait in its mouth ? after wrapping said bat in a towel and removing the hook it flys off safely .

Wes

2Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:16 am

supsurfer

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dana Pt harbor I caught a landing net...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:28 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Misfitdog wrote:I would like to hear what the weirdest thing you guys have caught while fishing ?

For me it would have to be while i was fishing the river in so cal for trout using powerbait during night . I casted my line in the pitch dark and i never heard my bait hit the water I was like odd . so i start to take up some slack and feel something wiggling on the end of my line . I start reeling in and as i get closer to the bank i see what appears to be a leaf on my line coming across the water .  I reach down to grab the leaf and it Grabs me back Shocked  so i turned on my flash light and to my surprise it was a BAT with my powerbait in its mouth ?  after wrapping said bat in a towel and removing the hook it flys off safely .

Wes

supsurfer wrote:Dana Pt harbor I caught a landing net...

Ha Ha those are crazy catches guys not sure anyone can top those stories. tongue

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:54 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

supsurfer wrote:Dana Pt harbor I caught a landing net...

Hey Supsurfer! nice come up LOL

ill be out at newport again tomorrow, 530pm

5Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:55 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Misfitdog wrote:I would like to hear what the weirdest thing you guys have caught while fishing ?

For me it would have to be while i was fishing the river in so cal for trout using powerbait during night . I casted my line in the pitch dark and i never heard my bait hit the water I was like odd . so i start to take up some slack and feel something wiggling on the end of my line . I start reeling in and as i get closer to the bank i see what appears to be a leaf on my line coming across the water .  I reach down to grab the leaf and it Grabs me back Shocked  so i turned on my flash light and to my surprise it was a BAT with my powerbait in its mouth ?  after wrapping said bat in a towel and removing the hook it flys off safely .

Wes

NO effn way! crazy! Shocked LOL

6Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:58 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Sorry no pics, but my son caught a duck when he was 7.
We were bobber fishing for Blue Gill from a dock. The duck swam a bit too close to the bobber and got the line around his foot. Luckily the hook didn't sink in him and the line was just tangle. He reeled the duck in and I grabbed it while he cut the line. Ducks can be pretty noisy when they're pissed off.

7Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:29 pm

mattmuerto

FTFF Gathering Officer

Weird to me... But at Oceanside pier I threw a live Mack late night and caught a 2 foot eel.

... I don't know what the rule is on taking eel so I threw it back, but I was tempted to take it home and grill it.

Other weird catches:
Monache: golden rainbow hybrid on a homemade fly I made with string from my sock.
Ob pier: angel shark
Tamarack from the sand using a sand crab: small leopard shark.
Cbad lagoon: octopus on a bh sexy smelt.
Mission bay on gulp alive camo worm: wrass
From time to time- myself

8Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:58 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

mattmuerto wrote:Weird to me... But at Oceanside pier I threw a live Mack late night and caught a 2 foot eel.

... I don't know what the rule is on taking eel so I threw it back, but I was tempted to take it home and grill it.

Other weird catches:
Monache: golden rainbow hybrid on a homemade fly I made with string from my sock.

I hope that somewhere in there you're catching fish. I always hear fishermen claim they can catch anything... but you really do.

9Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 am

mattmuerto wrote:Weird to me... But at Oceanside pier I threw a live Mack late night and caught a 2 foot eel.

Other weird catches:

Wow that is a list there , i have had wrass in a salt tank before and they are pretty crazy eatters .. odd catch though forsure

10Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:02 pm

mattmuerto

FTFF Gathering Officer

I think my biggest surprises are catching fish I am not targeting on bait I normally do not see them eat. Like largemouth bass on a hot dog while fishing for catfish, or a Bonita once on a sabiki while trying to catch small Mack and dines. Plenty of fish caught in between all that, but it is what keeps me at it.

11Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 pm

DPevin

FTFF Gathering Officer

Super late to this party, but here it goes.

Caught a drunk lady one night in Dana point harbor. Had just gotten some serious hits while on foot patrol pretty far out that I couldn't set the hook on. Wanted to get it right back out there to see if the sucker was still biting. Meanwhile the Dana pride was cruising by doing one of there summer time booze cruise concert things. Had no idea I could chuck it that far. Winged it out there, and it being night time I didn't realize how far it was going. Next thing know this lady on the boat starts screaming and the ppl around here ate freaking out. My line starts flying off the real and I realize I messed up big time. Dude with her is cussing me out and I whip my knife out real quick and cut the line. Luckily it got her purse or sweater or something and not skin....not so lucky for me my wife was there hanging out and has never let me live it down. Everytime I go fishing I have to hear. Next time you catch a drunk woman at least get her number....ect ECT.

12Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Stick Flipper

FTFF Gathering Officer

A few years back I thought I had a large sluggish fish on the line. When I finally got everything reeled in, I had a nice rod and reel that had been lost overboard.  It even came with the snag that pulled it into the water.  

I caught a hungry ground squirrel when i was learning to cast as a kid. Yes, squirrels do know how to swim.

13Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:59 pm

FishOn

FishOn
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have already told some of you this story but Grantski a member of the forum was ran over by a boat in his float tub at the big buoy line next to the pumping station al Perris and flatten his float tub, lost his glasses and fishing pole and other things I cant mention and had to get a rid back into shore from the same boat and two weeks later I caught his fishing pole. The real was thrashed and two eyes on his pole was broken. I did give it back to him.

14Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Stick Flipper wrote:A few years back I thought I had a large sluggish fish on the line. When I finally got everything reeled in, I had a nice rod and reel that had been lost overboard.  It even came with the snag that pulled it into the water.  

I caught a hungry ground squirrel when i was learning to cast as a kid. Yes, squirrels do know how to swim.

What is releasing a squirrel like?

15Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:44 pm

fishin' fatty

fishin' fatty
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon was witness to myself catching a gull on a topwater prop bait. Mad luckily only had bend of hook and some line around leg, never even punctured by hook. easy release but he was pissed and nipping at me will his bill until I got 'em loose.

16Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

fishin' fatty wrote:Jerdon was witness to myself catching a gull on a topwater prop bait.  Mad  luckily only had bend of hook and some line around leg, never even punctured by hook. easy release but he was pissed and nipping at me will his bill until I got 'em loose.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Nipped my a Gull Razz Razz Razz Razz

17Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:02 am

fishin' fatty

fishin' fatty
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I will have to admit I tried smackin' it with the rod tip after release and missed...

18Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Stick Flipper

FTFF Gathering Officer

Jerdon wrote:
Stick Flipper wrote:A few years back I thought I had a large sluggish fish on the line. When I finally got everything reeled in, I had a nice rod and reel that had been lost overboard.  It even came with the snag that pulled it into the water.  

At the time I did not know the proper catch and release procedure for a wet ground squirrel.  So I landed the poor little critter, without a net.  He took off running creating the one of the worst snags I have ever experienced.  In the end I just cut the line as close as I could to the captive varmint.

19Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:59 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Stick Flipper wrote:
Jerdon wrote:

At the time I did not know the proper catch and release procedure for a wet ground squirrel.  So I landed the poor little critter, without a net.  He took off running creating the one of the worst snags I have ever experienced.  In the end I just cut the line as close as I could to the captive varmint.

affraid that is all I can say affraid

20Weirdest thing you have Caught ?  Empty Re: Weirdest thing you have Caught ? Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:40 am

tuna4me

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

A net at Crowley Lake.

A Barbie rod and reel at Canyon Lake.

I think my friend and I were one of the first tubers to fish Santa Fe Dam when they opened it for tubers (long time ago).
Was fishing a Texas rigged worm dragging bottom and remember snagging about 4 or 5 kite strings.
Some of them VERY long. Had quite a pile in the front of my tube at end of day.

Tubing OSO lake in old days. Throwing a top water frog in about foot of water. Young Blue Heron sitting in tree near watching me. Kinda forgot about Heron and next thing I knew it flew down and grabbed my frog.
Lot's of squawking but released ok.

Tubing Pyramid Lake near marina snagged a stick and when I brought it up it had had about 10 feet of line attached and a when I pulled that up it had a very dead 4lb Striper that was hooked on a bait hook.

One of the funniest things I have seen was at Pyramid Lake.

Years ago when the Stripers were big (12-20 lbs) we would throw pencil poppers around Marina day after trout plant.
There was guy about 100 ft down the bank bait fishing with a big surf rod. He had his rod wedged into a old pallet to hold it.

He walked down to chat with me and at the moment his rod goes bendo big time.
He runs back and grabs rod and fights fish.
Bank was steep where he was and and it was a big fish and he had no net.

I walked down to help him land fish. I grabbed his line to hand line his fish.
Big tangled mess. I beach fish (15-17lb Striper) and see Striper with big Redfin plug in it's mouth, two baits hooks rigged as dropper loops and a spark plug?

Striper had been hooked on a Redfin then busted off by someone and that fish swam into and tangled this guys dropper loop bait rig.

Guy was stoked!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum