FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Newport / Balboa bays fishing

+3
ed5000x
Dano67
showtime
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:35 am

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

Hell guys!! I going to be taking my bass boat to NPH for the 1st time... Can someone please tell me a few good spots to fish there for spotties and halibuts I'll be launching from the dunes. Next week I"m gonna start trying float tubing. I have been doing my homework on tubing and was at bass bro shop today and liked what I saw. I'll be buying the new cat 4. Alnong with everything I need to begin float tubing. before that I would like to know a few good spots!! thank you for your help!!

2Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:29 am

Dano67

Dano67

If you are a bigger guy (200 plus) spend the extra money and buy the deluxe. comfort levels will be much better. Also before you buy fins, look at either Force Fins or Scuba style fins. The fins they sell are used with boots which dont allow your ankles to move freely which will slow your move about theharbor.

3Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 am

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thank you for the reply. And yes the deluxe was the one i am getting (RED). also and scuba fins is what was on my mind also... now i jus nned to find some one who builds a nice rod and fish finder holders. I want my tube HOOKED UP!!... thanks again!!

4Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:03 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the forum
There are lots of different rod holders here and lots of different designs figure out what you want to hold and look around the forum theres plenty of designs to build lots of fun too

5Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Dano67

Dano67

showtime wrote:Thank you for the reply. And yes the deluxe was the one i am getting (RED). also and scuba fins is what was on my mind also... now i jus nned to find some one who builds a nice rod and fish finder holders. I want my tube HOOKED UP!!... thanks again!!

You can make your fish finder holder very easy and the rod holders depending on how many rods you want to take should be pretty easy as well.

6Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:57 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome showtime as for NPH try fishing docks and moorings near Lido island and Balboa Island as well. You can also go down to the coast guard station and fish the eel grass beds.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty moorings? Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:45 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

jeffcpr wrote:Welcome showtime as for NPH try fishing docks and moorings near Lido island and Balboa Island as well. You can also go down to the coast guard station and fish the eel grass beds.

Moorings? where is that i dont see it on the map.

8Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thay are also called Pylons the post sticking out of the water they are all over the place.

9Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

you can check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for a step by step guide to rigging. i dont like his design completely but use it to get ideas.

i like fishing the coast guard dock and the moorings. also, if you take a skiff or maybe a pontoon, head out along the jetties and the boat dock. also, between the corona del mar jetty and the coast guard dock, there is a little bend that some people call halibut corner. i've fished there quite a bit off of skiffs, plenty of hits, but no keepers.

if you know the area well, try to head over to the m street pier/dock on the peninsula side. there is a mooring and a ton of kelp along with some private docks. plenty of spotties and calicos, but you'll lose your share of jig heads and lures. be aware, the current is pretty strong there and i've noticed that some boats tend to speed up past the 5mph limit there so wakes can be a problem.

10Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:09 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks guys!!

11Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey Huyeed that was cool thanks

12Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:47 am

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

what type of rigs. also, with the skiff were you trolling?

13Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:17 am

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Both bass and halibut will key in on structure so fish along the edges of docks or next to any drop off. Also anyplace you see a sailboat or yacht at anchor there are large concrete blocks below them that they are attached to, fish near these as well.

14Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:57 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

actually, never trolled the harbor, just drift. movement is a little erratic when drifting. usually use live bait, but i had some luck drifting with a 5" sexy smelt hammer with hot sauce carolina rigged with a 3' leader along the jetties. on a slow day in newport, even at the bait barge, i was able to hook 3 keeper calicos and a small halibut in about 1.5hrs on that setup.

btw, if you'd rather use live bait, the m street pier i mentioned is a hot spot. always bait fish there. shiner perch are always available, along with smelt, chovies, sardines, and even the occasional mackerel. i've seen guys throw cast nets, but i believe that's illegal south of point conception. bring a few slices of bread, chum the waters, and drop a sabiki down just below the surface (size 14 or sabiki size 3 is good). if you want perch, drop all the way down next to the pilings after tipping your hooks with shrimp. spending a few bucks on shrimp and bread could save you plenty of dough at the bait barge if you have the time to catch bait.

i've had days where bass and halibut will inhale the smelt/chovies. action on perch is a little slower, but tends to get bigger fish. they also stay alive longer in your bait tank, and you can cast them many times.

15Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:02 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

So, at the above mentioned hot spots.. are you anchoring down and fishing? by the way you guys have been very helpful.. im jus trying to get as much info before i take my bass boat out there. thanks!!

16Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

i haven't fished many structures off of a skiff, that's the whole reason i got a float tube. i'm sure you could do it, i've been fishing maybe 20 hrs a week for 3 months, but i'm still a noob, and i dont really have great boating skills. i have hit the jetties a lot and i usually just drift. that way, i can cast some live bait or a lure and leave it out there with one rod and work lures on another. if you do want to anchor a boat up, get an anchor that will hold you. my first time out, i threw down an anchor, i know it hit bottom, and shut off my motor to cut the noise. nearly got owned by the rocks. i really recommend you get a nautical chart or a fish finder so you can look for depth changes. you can get a nice chart at most tackle stores or sporting good stores that have gps coordinates for maybe 7 bucks.

17Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD SPOTS IN NPH THERE ARE NO MORE GOOD SPOTS. EVERYTHING IS OVERFISHED SO MUCH BY TUBERS TOONS BOATS AND KAYAKS. YOU CAN ALMOST GO ANY WHERE IN THE HARBOR AND HOOKUP. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE HUMBLE ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING THERE. IF YOUR THERE TO TRY AND CATCH THE BIG ON YOUR FIRST TRIP IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. BUT IF YOUR THERE NOING YOU ARE GOING TO GET SKUNKED AND YOUR COOL WITH THAT THEN YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE GREAT TIME IN NPH AND DANA POINT. I SAY THIS WITH NOT BEING A JERK OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT JUST AS A TUBER OF NPH FOR OVER 4 YEARS AND WITH A LITTLE EXPERIANCE TUBING THESE HARBORS. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE LOCAL SPOTS PM ME AND IF I KNOW THE STREETS AND ADDRESS I WILL GIVE YOU WHAT I KNOW. KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT AND THE BEER ON ICE.

18Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:04 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

BASSGEEK wrote:IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD SPOTS IN NPH THERE ARE NO MORE GOOD SPOTS. EVERYTHING IS OVERFISHED SO MUCH BY TUBERS TOONS BOATS AND KAYAKS. YOU CAN ALMOST GO ANY WHERE IN THE HARBOR AND HOOKUP. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE HUMBLE ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING THERE. IF YOUR THERE TO TRY AND CATCH THE BIG ON YOUR FIRST TRIP IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. BUT IF YOUR THERE NOING YOU ARE GOING TO GET SKUNKED AND YOUR COOL WITH THAT THEN YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE GREAT TIME IN NPH AND DANA POINT. I SAY THIS WITH NOT BEING A JERK OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT JUST AS A TUBER OF NPH FOR OVER 4 YEARS AND WITH A LITTLE EXPERIANCE TUBING THESE HARBORS. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE LOCAL SPOTS PM ME AND IF I KNOW THE STREETS AND ADDRESS I WILL GIVE YOU WHAT I KNOW. KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT AND THE BEER ON ICE.

no more ber you cry too much lol cheers

19Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

Bassgeek! I agree with you!! I think thats comes with fishing.....!! I like that attitude. I'm jus tired of fishing these local lakes. wanna try some new things!!

20Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:14 pm

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

sweet bro just let me know when you what to role out we can go and i will show you some cool spots that put out...

21Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:49 pm

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

well took my boat to NPH today for the 1st time and got SKUNKED!! Well actually not skunked. I landed 3 spotties but I had to throw them back..... because they were way to small (the size of my 5 year old sons foot)... I hit every spot that was mentioned here on the forum ( M ST pier, Coast guard pier and the jetty's.... but it didnt look like nobody was catching today.. it was overcast till around 12 then it cleared and the winds picked up.. I tried every kind of bait , rigs, plastic lures and etc........ what did i do wrong for the big fish??? .... ( jus a bad fishing day i guess!)

22Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

i think it was just one of those days. like bassgeek said, nph is a little over fished, and i've seen plenty of people without licenses keeping fish they weren't supposed to. that doesnt help. all a part of fishing though. when i hit the docks on tuesday morning, i fished every lure, every color, drop shot, jig heads, spinner baits with every scent in my box. nothing. squid, nothing. another guy was throwing out mussels, hooked 5 keeper spotties, 3 small halibut, 1 keeper halibut.

23Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 am

Dano67

Dano67

showtime wrote:well took my boat to NPH today for the 1st time and got SKUNKED!! Well actually not skunked. I landed 3 spotties but I had to throw them back..... because they were way to small (the size of my 5 year old sons foot)... I hit every spot that was mentioned here on the forum ( M ST pier, Coast guard pier and the jetty's.... but it didnt look like nobody was catching today.. it was overcast till around 12 then it cleared and the winds picked up.. I tried every kind of bait , rigs, plastic lures and etc........ what did i do wrong for the big fish??? .... ( jus a bad fishing day i guess!)
No such thing as a bad fishing day. You could have been at work, sweating behind some electronic motor or having to test something that flys or rolls. Instaed you got to Bob along in the harbor, nice and cool with your legs in the water trying to outsmart a creature with a brain smaller than a pea on a beautiful day. And to top it off, last time I was at the harbor, the scenery was really good Twisted Evil Sound like a great day of fishing to me Very Happy

24Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

exactly dano. i can spend 11 hrs fishing, sitting in one spot, without food or going to the bathroom, not catch a single fish, and still be happy with the day. although, on saturday night i went out before work for a 45 dock session and caught two sculpin and forgot my lip grippers...but even that was fun.

25Newport / Balboa bays fishing Empty Re: Newport / Balboa bays fishing Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 am

showtime

showtime
FTFF Gathering Officer

LOL... yes I could have been at working and been doing many other thing. but I was able to relax fishing at NPH.. So I do agree with all you replays. It did also seem a little bizy too. alot of traffic around that day also. I'm going to try again tue or wed after 4th july weekend. cause I know its gonna be tooo many people to go again this weekend. quesion? which by is better fishing NPH or Alamitos Bay .. I'm sure NPH is much nicer though

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum