FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

NPH Report 6/30/2011

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1NPH Report 6/30/2011 Empty NPH Report 6/30/2011 Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

so i wanted to tube newport harbor today, but my boss called me because we were way short staffed. i decided to hit NPH anyway from the docks, since it's only 10 minutes away from the hospital. fished the m street pier/dock for 1.5 hours. all catch and release

was going to toss lures but a guy from the bait barge came up in his dingy during shift change, gave me a bucket of chovies and smelt. used live and fresh dead bait along with clams, mussel, and shrimp.

first catch. notice the sabiki

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

just kidding, my actual first catch was this guy, i have no idea what it is.

next was this bass. little guy got hooked on my sabiki (size 14). hooked two more smallies but didn't take a picture. biggest one was 10". all were on my little 2' rod, spinning reel with 4lb test.

i started packing my stuff, but before i did, i threw out my modified halibut rig (same one you can buy in any tackle shop). only difference is a used a 1 1/4 kroc. i put a live chovy on the hook and i cut a fresh dead chovy, guts and blood leaking on the kroc. tossed it out, felt a and packed all my gear up brought to the car. came back, picked up my rod, felt a shake and stop. reeled in a bit, same thing. soooo, swing, reel. pretty easy on 40lb power pro.

18". this thing nearly swallowed the kroc, then didn't want to let me take the hook out. took me 10 minutes to save the kroc. didn't want to just release the halibut with a kroc hooked in its body.

not a bad way to spend an hour, especially since everyone else on the dock was eating skunk for lunch. same with a few boaters who docked up.

2NPH Report 6/30/2011 Empty Re: NPH Report 6/30/2011 Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:40 am

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

weel just for shit's and giggles an 18" hali is real fun with 6 or 8 lb test. 40 lb test hahaha way to heavy for bass and hali fishing. just saying. any way releasing that hali back in the water to live is way more inportant than getting the kroc back. the kroc wold rust out in a few days anyway. and besides you dont want fish and game watching you from a far trying to get your hook back and for some reason the hali die you'll get a big ticket if that fish die's and it not 22". just passing on some info bud not to be a jerk. just dont want you to get busted or anythig like that. i got busted 2 years ago the fish and game was watching me fish on a dock by the wedg almost cost me 900 bucks. so im just passing on info.

3NPH Report 6/30/2011 Empty Re: NPH Report 6/30/2011 Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:44 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

BASSGEEK wrote:weel just for shit's and giggles an 18" hali is real fun with 6 or 8 lb test. 40 lb test hahaha way to heavy for bass and hali fishing. just saying. any way releasing that hali back in the water to live is way more inportant than getting the kroc back. the kroc wold rust out in a few days anyway. and besides you dont want fish and game watching you from a far trying to get your hook back and for some reason the hali die you'll get a big ticket if that fish die's and it not 22". just passing on some info bud not to be a jerk. just dont want you to get busted or anythig like that. i got busted 2 years ago the fish and game was watching me fish on a dock by the wedg almost cost me 900 bucks. so im just passing on info.

i would like to hear more of that story

4NPH Report 6/30/2011 Empty Re: NPH Report 6/30/2011 Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice fish, I have no idea what that first one is though either hopefully someone here can identify it.

What's up with your picts they are making me dizzy lol. They are really clear but seem skewed or distorted.

Atleast you got the hali back in alive, I always keep a pair of dikes/wire cutters on me incase I have to release a fish I can't unhook in a timely manner. Just use the cutters to cut the hook off down to a stub, much better than leaving a lure or whole trebble in them. Cheapest place to get a pair is at Harbor Freight, I've had the same ones for 2 years now.

Hope you can meet up with us sometime, tomorrow even if you can make it.

5NPH Report 6/30/2011 Empty Re: NPH Report 6/30/2011 Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:25 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Nice job down there buddy, looks like you got some good fishing in before hitting work. That is a great start to a day of work.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6NPH Report 6/30/2011 Empty Re: NPH Report 6/30/2011 Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:03 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

oh, i kept him in a bucket of water with an aerator as i tried to get the thing out. wasn't trying to save the kroc, trying to get the treble and the lure out of the fish. thought it wouldn't rust. but thanks dude, point well taken. must release faster.

yeah, 40lb is overkill. someone gave me 20lb and 40lb power pro braided line so had to try it out. i do like being able to tie a mono leader to a swivel on the end of heavy line though, since i can just break it off when i get stuck on kelp or rocks at the jetty. saved me from getting spooled a few times too.

promised dad and bros i'd take them out to huntington central park and maybe tewinkle park tomorrow. wish i could hit up newport.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum