FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Huntington Harbor 4/21

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Huntington Harbor 4/21 Empty Huntington Harbor 4/21 Wed May 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Getbent.sportfishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

Little late on the report, but my brother and I finally made it out to float tube in Huntington Harbor. We usually fish Newport with decent success, but the grade of fish seems to be pretty small. We heard about some larger fish in Huntington and decided to give it a try.

We launched at a public beach in the harbor and made a few casts before heading out to the intended spot. I actually hooked one within the first 3 casts, but it caught me off guard and got away. We had 2 more bites within 10 minutes and thought that the action was going to be steady, which wasn't the case.

We made it to our intended spot and started casting. Conditions were very clear water and shallow due to the slack low tide, which made it harder to find fish around docks. We took some advice from Ornery Bob on here who said the fish seemed to gather around corners where 2 channels met. I think he was right, since my brother landed his first 2 fish in areas were 2 channels met. I think the current mixed up the bait on the bottom and made it a good ambush spot. His first fish was small, but the second one was a nice legal fish, around 14.5" (both spotted bay bass). It came on a Shakey head with a Gambler craw.

We were both struggling to hook fish, but me especially. Lots of short bites, dinks I'm assuming, and I farmed a few decent ones. In the mean time, my brother managed to get a very small sand bass on a Texas-rigged craw, and a handful of macks on a Hookup bait. I was finally able to break my streak with a dink sand bass off of a dock piling, which came on a keitech swimbait.

We had tubed for about 5 hours with only 4 bass to show for, and only one fish was of decent size. Before we paddled in, we pitched and trolled around the ends of some docks near the location where we got our first bites. As I was making my way back, I pitched to the shady end of a dock and got slammed. My brother was too far away to hear me and the fish was fighting hard, pulling some drag. I got it close to the surface and basically had to handline it in for the last 5 feet and haul it into my tube. It was a really solid spottie and my PB, around 16" and 2 lbs. My brother paddled over and we realized we doubled up, with him holding a decent 13" spottie.

Although it was pretty slow, we came for better quality fish and managed to pull a couple off, including a very good one in the last 10 minutes. We'll be back soon...

We also made a youtube video so feel free to check it out on our channel:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Huntington Harbor 4/21 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 4/21 Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Nice work boys well done, there is some quality in HH if you put the time in. Good job keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Huntington Harbor 4/21 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 4/21 Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Great report and I loved the video! I definitely need to work on my storytelling. Thanks for sharing!

4Huntington Harbor 4/21 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 4/21 Thu May 04, 2017 11:09 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great video guys.......HH does hold some quality fish. Try down at the PCH bridge. Its a good kick, but has it's rewards.......GT

5Huntington Harbor 4/21 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 4/21 Thu May 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Many fishing trips start with the phrase "we heard the fish were bigger". Good on you two for charging. I really like your informational video it is great way to take notes. 

Thanks for sharing guys.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum