FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 4:06 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by Jerdon Today at 2:42 pm

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 12:48 pm

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 11:33 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Air pump suggestions

+3
mthaubs
Mo2vation
tjflyfisher
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Air pump suggestions  Empty Air pump suggestions Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 pm

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Just wondering what everyone uses for an air pump for thier float tubes
My creek company hand pump broke the handle off on the last outing so I'm in the market for a new one

I'm thinking I might try a 12 v or battery powered pump this time as I have a spare handpump I always carry with me

The tubes I need to inflate are the ODc 420 and my sons new caddis premier plus.

Thanks for any info on what to buy and where I might buy it

Tjflyfisher

2Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hi buddy

I've never, personally, understood hand pumps for float tubes.

I don't pack a flat tube to my destinations. I have never seen anyone who has. If you can drive up, you can plug in a 12v inflator.

Or there is likely a gas station down the street, and for a buck its full in a minute or two.

Or the Marina where you're launching has a pump.

When there is absolutely nothing, I have a scuba tank (I'm a diver) and I can fill a float tube in 90 seconds.

Locally, I fill with a compressor I have in the garage.

I've been tubing over three decades. I have never, not once ever hand pumped a tube. If you're not backpacking your tube in, there is no reason to ever hand pump.

If you have been, you're going to love a 12v pump. There are many. Most are loud and slow.... which is why I don't use them. I'll go to a gas station or drive it there full.

- Ken

3Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 am

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I have a Tacoma with a 110 volt plugin in the bed. I only use a elec. pump. I do have a backup  hand pump for when I am in Bridgeport, just as a back up back up.

Last edited by mthaubs on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

4Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I simply have no way to store or transport my fully inflated Super Fat Cat, so I inflate and deflate my tube every time. When it's not in the water, it's folded flat in a closet.

I ordered a hand pump with pressure gauge at the same time I ordered my tube and after one time of doing that, I bought a $20 Airhead 12V pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

I wouldn't be without the electric pump, even though it has one drawback. It's not strong enough to push down the valve, so you have to leave the valve in the open position while inflating and then quickly close it when you remove the pump. Usually it's not an issue, but occasionally I will have to use one or two hand pumps to top it off if too much air escapes.

So I say go for the 12V pump, like I said, I wouldn't be without it.

5Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have an air compressor in my garage and can fit my tube fully inflated in the back of my old dusty Suburban. I travel with it inflated 2/3 or maybe 3/4 full depending on how hot it is. I have a tube from a broken hand pump I keep behind the seat. It usually takes less than 6 puffs from my lungs to fully inflate the tube from that point.

I have seen a tuber with a leaking tube keep air in the tube with just a few puffs every so often. My thoughts are if you have a hole big enough to require a hand pump to stay afloat you’re better off heading for shore.

6Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:I have an air compressor in my garage and can fit my tube fully inflated in the back of my old dusty Suburban. I travel with it inflated 2/3 or maybe 3/4 full depending on how hot it is. I have a tube from a broken hand pump I keep behind the seat. It usually takes less than 6 puffs from my lungs to fully inflate the tube from that point.

I have seen a tuber with a leaking tube keep air in the tube with just a few puffs every so often.
My thoughts are if you have a hole big enough to require a hand pump to stay afloat you’re better off heading for shore.

Werd....

salute

7Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I had a Coleman rechargeable pump. One thing to keep in mind, the electric pumps are only as strong as their power source.  I never went overboard in inflating my tube because I usually stop after a few seconds of hearing the motor strain. Oh, and they are loud as hell when you want to be quiet.
I’m opting to go for a hand pump to keep things simple now, my rechargeable has lasted me many years though...

8Air pump suggestions  Empty Re: Air pump suggestions Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:10 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

K-Pump 200. (0.8G/3L volume, up to 8PSI)

I have a back that doesn't always cooperate all the time, so hunching over for a foot pump was out of the question.  Considered an electric pump at one point but fishing Newport Harbor, 6 in the morning, with an electric pump blaring away is one way not to be endeared by the neighborhood (just trying to be respectful - if I were not fishing and had to go to work, I'd like an extra hour or so of sleep without the buzz of an electric pump outside.)  With the K-pump, I could inflate a dead flat 8' pontoon boat in about 5 minutes and my float tube is a little less than that. Most of the times, usually have the tube inflated to 50% (not enough room in a Tahoe for 2 fully inflated tubes and gear.) My buddies have done short hikes with their tubes (between 5-10 mi) and it was a benefit to pack the tubes (lighter tubes for hiking, of course) and inflate waterside: electric pump of no use then.

If you're considering an inflatable SUP later, you could get one of their 2 stage pumps (up to 25PSI).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum