FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» New landing net I just landed
by Troutbum Today at 9:15 am

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore

+3
n2deepfsw
Konacrush
goangels
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:56 pm

goangels

FTFF Gathering Officer

new to fishing the harbor used a spinner bait to catch a small spotty from shore. what are some good techniques and baits?? getting my first tube for christmas couldnt wait>>

2fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:59 pm

goangels

FTFF Gathering Officer

i live close to nph wheere you guys launch from usually??

3fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

try out some 3in big hammers on a warbait jig head get some hot sauce and apply every 5 cast all slow retrieve make sure your on the bottom unless you see bait thrashin throw in there you never know

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

4fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:29 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Konacrush wrote:try out some 3in big hammers on a warbait jig head get some hot sauce and apply every 5 cast all slow retrieve make sure your on the bottom unless you see bait thrashin throw in there you never know

X2

5fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:41 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Konacrush wrote:try out some 3in big hammers on a warbait jig head get some hot sauce and apply every 5 cast all slow retrieve make sure your on the bottom unless you see bait thrashin throw in there you never know

x3 try darker color spottie special or even Christmas tree color can work.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:56 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Goangels, I'll post some pics and colors I used today on my post. Hope it helps you.

7fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Cool can't wait to see you guys on the water

8fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Spinnerbaits are a good bait to use but its not the best time right now to be using them but that dosent mean to stop using it. 90% of the time you will get hit harder and get larger spotties with the spinner bait but the hits and fish are far and few.

3" Big hammers, peal or mc swimbaits rig weedless is your best bet right now.
clean and clear water with the sun out, use lighter colors.
dirty water with sun out, use something alittle darker
Night time dark colors.
but rules are to be broken and there is no real pattern for newport so keep trying different baits/colors but after you have given it enough time.

what part of the bay are you walking ?

9fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey MILLER
It's always spinner bait time!!! you just have to adjust a bit in the winter. Try this if you dare! Fish a heavy spinnerbait ( 3/4- 1oz. model ) dbl willow blade, but change out the blades for a half size larger. Put your favorite paddle tail rubber on it (and some of that smelly stuff you guys love so much) then fish it everywhere you normally would but pull it as slowly as you can and still keep the blades turning. If you are doing it right you will feel the blades thumping on your line and rod tip. For those of you who don't know this is called slow rollin a blade. This is a deadly winter BIG fish technique. You won't get bit often but when you do I gaurantee it will be bigger than average. We used to slay the 5+ pound calicos at Oxnard and Ventura harbors this way!

Hope this helps bodfish

10fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:07 pm

bodfish wrote:
Hey MILLER
It's always spinner bait time!!! you just have to adjust a bit in the winter. Try this if you dare! Fish a heavy spinnerbait ( 3/4- 1oz. model ) dbl willow blade, but change out the blades for a half size larger. Put your favorite paddle tail rubber on it (and some of that smelly stuff you guys love so much) then fish it everywhere you normally would but pull it as slowly as you can and still keep the blades turning. If you are doing it right you will feel the blades thumping on your line and rod tip. For those of you who don't know this is called slow rollin a blade. This is a deadly winter BIG fish technique. You won't get bit often but when you do I gaurantee it will be bigger than average. We used to slay the 5+ pound calicos at Oxnard and Ventura harbors this way!

Hope this helps bodfish

yeah true, they say you its all year bait. I just need to spend more time with it.
I change baits too often to try and find a patteren. I will give this a try. I just need to order some more spinnerbaits. All I have is 3/8oz. what about colorado blades ?

11fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:55 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey MILLER,
Colorado blades are great because they thump so hard, but they require a bit more speed and can hinder hook set because they are so wide. You can't get any slower than a pair of over size willow, turtle, or Indiana blades.

Here's a tip or two:
1) use a combo of silver and gold blades.
2) Use a trailer hook ( I am normally not a big fan of trailers but in this case it can really be the difference because of how short and subtle the bites can be at this time of year) If you do use a trailer hook make sure it is at least two sizes smaller than the lure hook and super sharp!! Warning: Trailer hooks are really snaggy!!
3) Slow rollin' requires that you STICK TO THE STRUCTURE!! You want it to crawl across the bottom and through the cover. You want it to bump into anything and everything it can, and when bumping over the structure, you want to stall and let it flutter down.
4) the bites will be subtle but confident so be ready AND SWING HARD!!! (this is one of the few times when I will encourage a hard hook set.)
5) Use your scent. Again I am not a big fan of smelly stuff, but particularly in the winter it can be a game changer. You need a way to make the fish strike harder and hold on longer, to be successful.
6) HAVE CONFIDENCE!! this is a BIG fish technique which means it is inherently a low percentage technique.
BUT IT WORKS!!! so fish it hard and don't get discouraged. when it pays off, it pays off BIG!!!

trying to teach, bodfish

PS I suggest you use a pretty heavy set-up because you will probably need it!!

12fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Cool thank you bodfish for the helpfull tips. heavy set-up not a problem. heavy spinnerbaits and extra blades, thats alittle bit of problem right now lol.
What brand of baits do you like and what ones would you recommend for the salt?

13fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:38 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I got to try it and see what's da haps thanks bra Very Happy

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

14fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great info.!

15fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:24 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i like this post too lost of great info thanks

16fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Does anyone here use trailer hooks I have always wanted to but never took the time to set it up.

17fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Does anyone here use trailer hooks I have always wanted to but never took the time to set it up.

Almost always. Also put a critter on there sometimes too. Note they can hang up your "weedless" advantage though.

18fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am just to lazy I guess like I said I want to I just never get around to it. One of these days the short bit will get under my skin enough not make me follow through.

19fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Spinner bait fishing is imho, something you need to make up your mind to go out and do. There are different techniques and things you can do to catch fish. Bodfish made some excellent suggestions on using this bait. I would start there. Its also nice to have a rod dedicated to just spinner bait fishing imho. But that isn't for everyone.

20fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

HAVE CONFIDENCE another good point made by bodfish, this is an area I need to work on. I need to feel I am in the right spot and presenting the right way. I think most often I second guess myself

21fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:57 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jeff what I have done to build my confidence is first take a casual attitude towards fishing when your on the water. Just think catching is cool but ok if you don't. You really need to free your mind up. Then a firm belief in the science of the bait and the target fish. I would pick one bait that falls into this catagory and fish the crap out of it every time the whole time you fish. Forget about switching it up and finding that perfect color. I would suggest a grub and a jig head and some light line. Just fish the crap out of it every time. You will start to catch more fish I promise you. Just keep it simple and forget what everyone says is the better way or the better bait. Just fish that jig and stay on the bottom. You can go out with one bait and one rig and have a great time fishing. Soon you will have a confidence bait and you can try something new from there. But you'll always know you have a "go to" that you know and you know it well.

jig head

grub (I would suggest Gulp camo mullet in 4")

6#-8# line (tie a fluro leader on to what ever you have on the reel now..its ok you can do that lol)

And stay with it. Forget everything else. Fish the crap out of that bait. Just say to yourself "come on bass...big bass...come now...big bass baby come on" it will happen dude I promise you it will happen. You will be in the right place and you will catch fish. Dont believe anything else.

Lastly, ALWAYS be happy for the guy catching when your not. Its a lesson in humility. It will transpose to your future fishing. Count on it.

22fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Well put wax thanks I do have that go to bait, I am changing my line before I go out again, after reading "fish Have No Hands". And I need to keep it on the bottom.

So how did it go again "come on bass...big bass...come now...big bass baby come on" I will try it out thanks.

23fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Bro its a mind set...you just have to have it. I have met guys catching bass with a bootlace (ok an exaggeration) but it happened because they have the right mind set. Its a Zen and a zone. Fish are like women...they can smell the ick (desperation) on you a mile away and they are attracted to confidence. Just a simple fact.

24fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So that is my problem they must smell the despiration. even when I try to play it cool, I start to tighten up and "where the heel are all the fish" "what are you using mine lure don't work" "please God just one bite that is all I ask" lol!

25fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Empty Re: fished nph 12-17 low tide from shore Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:19 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sounds funny but its true. Its just like when you are BS'n with a pal while fishing or eating or on the phone ... slam! Fish on! Your mind was free and so you were free to catch. The best fishermen I know are laid back and just happy to be there. Even though they are serious fishermen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum