FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Sat May 18, 2024 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float tube flyrod holder...

+4
flyfishingfool
TheHegemon
TheAsianGuy
Komori Jeff
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Float tube flyrod holder... Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

...for my older short butt Fenwick ff85 flyrod. This rod does not have any "butt"; the fly reel goes right at the end of the handle. Can I get a float tube flyrod holder for this type of a rod that also has a quick release, so I can troll with it? $..?

2Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:30 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yep. Quite a few out there actually. I got a pair for $20 at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. There is one also being sold at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for $20. Both use the same method. The one at Walmart has a stronger locking arm to hold your rod for trolling. I have a fly rod as well with no butt. I use the rod holder to hold it while I use my pontoon to move from place to place along the weed line.

3Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

TheHegemon

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

TheAsianGuy wrote:Yep. Quite a few out there actually. I got a pair for $20 at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. There is one also being sold at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for $20. Both use the same method. The one at Walmart has a stronger locking arm to hold your rod for trolling. I have a fly rod as well with no butt. I use the rod holder to hold it while I use my pontoon to move from place to place along the weed line.

Do you actually use the Bass Pro one? I bought one from the White River Fly Shop and it was just horrible. The straps were worse than useless and kept coming undone. I just strapped a Boat Rod Holder to the side of my tube and it works good enough.

4Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

TheHegemon wrote:Do you actually use the Bass Pro one? I bought one from the White River Fly Shop and it was just horrible. The straps were worse than useless and kept coming undone. I just strapped a Boat Rod Holder to the side of my tube and it works good enough.

Yep. Got 4 of them retrofitted on the pontoon. If I take the tube out, I have 1 mounted forward, and 2 mounted vertically for holding the rods. I have heavy, medium, light, and ultra light rods, including one fly rod. All fit on these holders, and to me, perfect for trolling. The fastening straps can be increased with a bit thicker ones, but..it works for now. No complaint on my part. However, the Walmart one, that is one strong strap.

5Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:51 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

TheHegemon wrote:
TheAsianGuy wrote:Yep. Quite a few out there actually. I got a pair for $20 at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. There is one also being sold at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for $20. Both use the same method. The one at Walmart has a stronger locking arm to hold your rod for trolling. I have a fly rod as well with no butt. I use the rod holder to hold it while I use my pontoon to move from place to place along the weed line.

Do you actually use the Bass Pro one? I bought one from the White River Fly Shop and it was just horrible. The straps were worse than useless and kept coming undone. I just strapped a Boat Rod Holder to the side of my tube and it works good enough.

X2

The BPS rod holders sucks. Maybe that's why it's only 20 bucks.

The Cabela's rod holder looks like a much better design than BPS's. It's also a little more pricey.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

6Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

flyfishingfool wrote:
TheHegemon wrote:

X2

The BPS rod holders sucks. Maybe that's why it's only 20 bucks.

The Cabela's rod holder looks like a much better design than BPS's. It's also a little more pricey.

Is that a safety strap that locks the rod to the holder?
If so, does it snap in place?

7Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:08 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's the extra strap that will cost you $7 on top of the $20. If you buy it in a combo, that's $25 I believe..well, got one of those when it was on sale..But normal cost is $35.

8Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Okay. So I'm assuming that it snaps in place?

9Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:07 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nope. Double D-ring tightening with a side strap buckle to keep the extra line nice and neatly flushed.

10Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Actually, I meant the safety strap

11Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:12 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Same..both safety staps are D-rings tightening. You simply relax the rings of the safety straps large enough to fit over the tube's arm, slide on, and tighten. No snap-in.

12Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:37 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Found a much better price than Cabela's for the Scotty rod holder

13Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:46 am

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use the Scotty and have for years. But, my fly rods a a bitt more than $25. They are safe without the cross strap and the tube mount DOES come with that strap.
I just ordered another one as I just bought a new tube.

Nice thing about the Scottys is all the add ons you can get.

The Camera Mount (just got one of these and it is sick)

Extentions

Triple rod holder

Anchor

All this fits that strap on holder. And as already mentioned, IF your toon or tube has PVC shell, there are glue on Scotty plates with the nuts secured under so you just need to screw the base on.

Of course you can make a Fly Rod holder out of PVC pretty easy. A long 1" slit down the pipe with a 2" x 3" notch at the base of the slit. Then just figure out how to mount it to a tube.

14Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:37 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
The Scotty is the best one out there! Been using them for years. Adjustable and safe. The strap over the reel is an elastic band that hooks to one side, quick and easy.

bodfish

15Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

FYI Scotties don't work on the prowlers. I even called the guys at outcast who confirmed there isn't enough room with the tackle bag left on to mount a scotty correctly without risk of it slipping off the end.

16Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wow, there really isn't any nose on those is there. No wonder a guy said it felt like he was going to tip over when he leaned forward.
On my SFC, I laid the rods in the back pointing out the back and held on to one.

Might have to play with some PVC and make something that straps to the side. I know a bunch of people that get into that.

17Float tube flyrod holder... Empty Re: Float tube flyrod holder... Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:53 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well the tackle bags actually have the straps setup so you can hold a pole in each side. I just don't like how they sit flat and so close to you. Plus if you get hit it's impossible to set the hook the way they are setup. Either way I need to just get some type of PVC setup going so I can finally use my FF anyway. I can't believe I got it 3 months ago and still haven't taken it out of the box yet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum