FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

corona lake skunk

+4
Aquaholic38
NachoOne
fatboy531
kaiserslaveray
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1corona lake skunk Empty corona lake skunk Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:56 pm

kaiserslaveray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have a brand new FC4 deluxe that was ready to be used and muddied up at corona lake. Then I decide to invite my dad who has an inflatable boat. The thing takes a hour to set up and my dad has to pee every hour and a half. But what can I do its my dad right? So sat the cat. Needless to say the skunk was caught. What I dont get is that tons of people had fish it was a lip ripper tournament day. I have never been Skunked there whether from the shore or a tube. I was switching baits, lures, jigs, colors and riggings. I strongly need a non skunk outing to feel like a man again!

2corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:59 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Damn!!! That sucks... At corona of all places. Everyone has those days. Hang in there get back out there. Quality time with PoPS is priceless.

3corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:55 am

When the Trout are not biting , Remember that they are stocking those Blue Cats now as well , head to the Trees and just hang on , always a Skunk Buster there .

It's fishing though so skunks happen , it just makes us better fisherman in the end .

4corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 pm

NachoOne

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Man, I am just like you dad! Just be happy that he is still with us and you have time to enjoy him! I recall some of my best days where with my dad fishing! He hook a 10 lb bass and scream like a little girl, love that special day.

5corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

my dad doesn't fish Sad

6corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 pm

NachoOne

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry to hear that, but my dad took me fishing on a cattle boat when I was 11 years old and I hatred it, I got wet and cold, he did not even get a bunk for the night and I slept on deck. Up to that time it was the worst thing ever! Also, my post was a reply to kaiserslaveray, sorry for any conflusion.

7corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 am

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Skunks at Corona happen to the best of us every now and then, switch it up to the Crappie or the Cats like Misfitdog said just to get the skunk off, then go back to the Trout. Even then... the skunk will rear it's head every now and then. Get 'em next time!

https://www.facebook.com/FishSlayerJoshS

8corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 am

kaiserslaveray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Im going saturday to get the skunk off my shoulder. Going solo. No wife, kids, dads, baby mammas or ex-girlfriend's sisters aunties are gonna ruin my chi this weekend. I also gotta de-verginize the Green Cat and my new fish cage. Who knows theyr'e probably in my garage talking cacca as I type.

9corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:23 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hey kaiserslavery,

Oh man that sucks! I was gonna head to corona this saturday but ended up having to do work around the house....ive never been so wanted to hit it bad.......and like everyone says, skunks will happen to the best of us, better luck on Saturday  Thumbs Up 

10corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:51 pm

kaiserslaveray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Okay ended up going on sunday for some revenge. New FC4 was used no pops to slow me down it was gonna be on like donkey Kong!
SKUNK again!!!

When I took the Caddis navigator 2 I caught one I never went there and caught any less than 3 from shore. I figured the first time i took the caddis I was uncomfortable and just getting used to being on the water. I was happy with one considering the circumstances.

Could I be kicking too much while I'm fishing on the tube? What are some pointers you guys have while fishing on the tube? It seems like EVERYONE on a tube had at least one fish today but me. What would you recommend me to research. I was drop shotting power worms, mice tails and lip ripperz worms. I tried trolling split shot mice tails then went to trolling a night crawler with no weight on it not inflated. I even resorted to fishing boat style with power bait, finding what seemed to be the hot spot from shore and casting towards that spot.

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!

11corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 pm

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Ouch... Corona can be very hit or miss like that sometimes unfortunately  Crying or Very sad I went a period of like 2 months of straight skunk there before I got my tube. One of the things I've learned lately there, try fishing SHORT leaders if you're dropshotting, or using bait, and by short, I mean 2-3" max, the fish lately have been fairly close to the bottom even if you're seeing them up by the surface. Also, on the lures and baits you're using, are you using any Scents? You'd be surprised how much scents help there, stuff like Bite-On, etc in Garlic, Roe and Corn/Maize have worked best for me there, and the shore/boat bait and waiter folks have had some fairly good luck with that Hatchery Dust.

Hopefully some of that helps, you'll get 'em eventually!

Last edited by JsFishSlayer on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

12corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

As for if you're kicking too hard, as long as you aren't blowing everyone else away passing them, or kicking like a dog that was thrown into the water, It's likely not due to you kicking too hard. If you think you are, slow it down a bit and just take big, slow kicks. Corona is pretty shallow right now, so if you're kicking a lot, that MIGHT be it, but with all the traffic Corona get's I wouldn't bet too much on it being that. IMO

13corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 am

kaiserslaveray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

My leader I started out at about 24" then went to 18" then 6" never got down to the 2"........ as for scents I used Berkley garlic scent, the spray kind. I got some old bait jars cleaned em out and let my mice tails and power worms sit in the jars filled with the spay poured into them filled to the top with spray. I also did a set of the berkley garlic/mint gel and dumped it into a plastic baggie and let some plastics marinate in that stuff overnight. Like you said maybe ill try another scent and lower the leader. Great tips! Keep em coming!

14corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:21 am

kaiserslaveray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Oh yeah I tried the hatchery dust to no avail. The kicking, I did notice at first I was mankind small splashes or allowing my fins to break th surface and didn't notice anyone else doing that I tried to keep it under control. I ended up kinda just drifting with the wind and steering with my kicks until the afternoon when it got windy and had no choice but to paddle a lot.

15corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

kaiserslaveray wrote:Oh yeah I tried the hatchery dust to no avail. The kicking, I did notice at first I was mankind small splashes or allowing my fins to break th surface and didn't notice anyone else doing that I tried to keep it under control. I ended up kinda just drifting with the wind and steering with my kicks until the afternoon when it got windy and had no choice but to paddle a lot.

Hey whats up Kaiser,

when u go to corona again let me know i might be up to meeting u  Thumbs Up  giving ive never been their should make for a fun outing.......weekends though lol

Tony G

16corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:54 am

kaiserslaveray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sounds good to me I saw a sturgon get caught there yesterday. I asked the guy what he's gonna do with it now that he landed it he looked at me confused and said ya know I havent thought about it . Point is though people pull monsters from there. I haven't yet but hope to.

Heck yeah Id let you know when I go again. Probably first weekend of march.

17corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

First week of march will work!!!!  Thumbs Up 

rock n roll

Tony G

18corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:14 pm

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I'll likely be there on again on Thursday or Friday and/or Saturday. I'll try a few different things and let you know what (if anything) works.

I was gonna fish either Corona or Elsinore for the Forum fish off on Saturday, but that'll depend on how much interest I see others have in it by Wednesday, if not I'll likely just stick to Corona on Thursday or Friday.

Last edited by JsFishSlayer on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added/subtracted details)

19corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 am

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

What's worked for me is drop shotting a trout worm hooked "wacky" style in red or orange. Cast towards the shore and drag it towards you in a very slow motion "twitching" the rod tip slightly gives the worm some action as it's coming towards you on the retrieve. It may take some time but once you've found the hole that holds fish just keep working it. You'll produce more than one fish in the same hole.

20corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dude, i got skunked there last week.
I didnt feel too bad cuz i didnt see anyone hook up. Maybe when i left but i doubt it.
Water level was super low and very murky

21corona lake skunk Empty Re: corona lake skunk Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:23 am

So hard to fish Corona now , as the the fish have little water to move around in that's clean , guess that's why the trout like to hang out by the south water intake where the freshwater comes in Expecially on or after a rain .

I have still yet to catch anything other then Talipia and crappie or bass there .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum