FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

MDR 1/10 late report

+4
kin
Ifishtoolittle
Jerdon
fishinelectrician
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MDR 1/10 late report Empty MDR 1/10 late report Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:43 am

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Wussup fellas. Well i made it out to MDR yesterday at around 9 am to a pretty steady downpour and a bunch of curious onlookers who, by the looks of it, had never ceen a float tube in their life. Anyway i had wanted to try out a different part of the harbor so instead of launching at the boat ramp in basin H, i decided to launch at mothers beach. the rain was steady the whole time i fished which was up until 2 pm. i targeted pilings, rock walls, and even the middle channel, which isnt too wide in basin D. i didnt even get a scratch on any bait i used. baits i used included Kinami double tail grubs in cinnamon/purple flake, Norman N series deep crank, and Fools Bait Paddle Pros in Slayer and Clear red flake. i tried various retrieves but i wasnt able to get any fish to even bump the baits. now im 0 for 3 at MDR on the tube. i am going crazy trying to figure out what pattern these Bass will respond to. one of the boat residents told me to keep at it because they are in there.

if any of you guys have any kind of experience in MDR your help on any reliable techniques would be highly appreciated... anyhow. im headin bacc out there in about 5-6 hours... this time im launching off the roccs directly actoss from the UCLA docc... ive had most all my success in MDR in that general area so im givin it a try. i made a little quicc release 8lb "anchor" out of lead ingots and some mesh netting so i dont fly out of the harbor and have a chance to kicc to shore. (hopefully).

thanks for your time and i apologize for such a long and fishless report.

2MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:50 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congratz on getting out and fishing!
Great report BTW, its always good to know what people are throwing.

3MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I haven't been back to MDR in ages. The fishing was never epic for me, but I've had good days and have seen one of my buddies nail some pig 2lb+ spotties with me on Big Hammers. As far as fishing around this time of the year I'd suggest fishing SLOW! As in crawling your lure inches at a time. From my last few trips to NPH, Cabrillo, and the LAB I've only gotten bit that way. My buddy who struggles to fish slow has consistently whooped me by dead sticking his baits for 20 seconds or more at certain spots.

There aren't as many in fish in MDR as compared to say the LAB, but there are big fish in there. Keep at it dude!

4MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I fished MDR middle jetty on and off. I haven't seen too many spotties out there, but I had a two week period where I hooked into five, largest being a fatty 17" around an eel grass bed off a 3" sexy smelt hammer.

I've always hooked into fish tossing a 5" fluke texas rigged though. I'm amazed at how many small brown rock fish there are (8" and smaller) around the rocks.

5MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:56 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Sorry to here it was rough bro I was in Huntington Harbor, in the rain as well. As soon as I get in the water the rain started on me steady, and I only got one taker that came unbuttoned at the tube. Keep at it in MDR you will find them, I really think it is the strange weather that is causing the issues right now. It is just a matter of time on the water and hitting the right conditions to get them to take it. I have a vendetta with Huntington Harbor now I will keep with it at HH and you do the same with MDR.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:55 am

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

thanks for the tips fellas! Im just kinda frustrated because i know theyre down there. just gotta put the time in and figure the patterns out.

thanks again guys!

7MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hey Fishelectrician...

damn bro sorry about the skunk G.....soon enough bro it will break wide open for you, just keep at it..

when u doing MDR again..maybe i can join you next time

8MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

fishinelectrician wrote:thanks for the tips fellas! Im just kinda frustrated because i know theyre down there. just gotta put the time in and figure the patterns out.

thanks again guys!

If anything, scrape off some mussels and go for perch. There's some MASSIVE perch in the harbor as well.

9MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:49 pm

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:Hey Fishelectrician...

damn bro sorry about the skunk G.....soon enough bro it will break wide open for you, just keep at it..

when u doing MDR again..maybe i can join you next time
Thanks Tony! Yeah it was kinda tough out there but just bein out there in the pouring rain, but completely warm and dry, and knowing there might be a big bass or halibut about to demolish the bait... I cant wait to go. Bacc bro. Well, i day it up to u bro. U set the date n time... Im free akl fay everyday until further notice... Lemme know broski!
Ifishtoolittle wrote:
fishinelectrician wrote:thanks for the tips fellas! Im just kinda frustrated because i know theyre down there. just gotta put the time in and figure the patterns out.

thanks again guys!

If anything, scrape off some mussels and go for perch.  There's some MASSIVE perch in the harbor as well.  
I could only inagine dog. Ive seen some monster out in ththe ballona creek side too.

10MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

for sure Fishelectrician!!! let me check it out and ill get back to you!

11MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 am

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Glad to see someone else trying MDR. I live up the road and have been down more than a handful of times. All I have to show for it so far is one nice 1.5 lb spottie from the middle jetty. Wash fishing a 4" swimbait painfully slow.

12MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey so I've look around the web to see if there were anyone posting tips on areas to fish for spotties in MDR and I've found this thread on the BD forums on possible areas to try.

Hope this helps you out Fishinelectriction.

13MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:26 am

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

so I was over milling around on BD, some guy is saying that most of if not all the spotties in MDR died back in May when all those anchovies turned up dead. Anyone know anything about this?

I would post a link, but I can't since I'm a new member. If you google it, you'll find several articles on it. None of them mention bay bass specifically, but they do say that 70,000 tons of fish turned up dead, most of them anchovies.

14MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:49 pm

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Wyu wrote:Hey so I've look around the web to see if there were anyone posting tips on areas to fish for spotties in MDR and I've found this thread on the BD forums on possible areas to try.

Hope this helps you out Fishinelectriction.

thanks man. I actually commentef on that post as well. Lol
bruinhook wrote:so I was over milling around on BD, some guy is saying that most of if not all the spotties in MDR died back in May when all those anchovies turned up dead. Anyone know anything about this?

I would post a link, but I can't since I'm a new member. If you google it, you'll find several articles on it. None of them mention bay bass specifically, but they do say that 70,000 tons of fish turned up dead, most of them anchovies.
Man i hope tthats not the case. Id be devistatef to know that

15MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:25 am

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Yeah, me too. Only one way to know for sure though. Might as well put in the time.

16MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:21 pm

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

true blue. im a bit skeptical about the spotties dying off. theyre a hardy fish for sure. like u said. only one way to know for certain... i might be out there on Thursday bro. u down to roll out there?

17MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 pm

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ah man, I wish. I probably won't be able to make it out for another two weeks. Get into 'em though!

18MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bruinhook wrote:so I was over milling around on BD, some guy is saying that most of if not all the spotties in MDR died back in May when all those anchovies turned up dead. Anyone know anything about this?

Doubt it.  Spotties are so tough.  I went to MDR during the weekend and managed 2 calicos and a sand bass.  My buddy got the same.

19MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:49 am

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ifishtoolittle wrote:

Doubt it.  Spotties are so tough.  I went to MDR during the weekend and managed 2 calicos and a sand bass.  My buddy got the same.

Ifishtoolittle very nice catch.

Were you fishing in the harbor or close to the break wall?

20MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wyu wrote:
Ifishtoolittle wrote:

Thanks.  At the breakwall.  We stopped by some docks near the bait barge afterwards for a few more fish.  Keep in mind though that we started at 10 and high tide was 730ish if I remember correctly.  Low tide was at 2pm roughly and it was a big one at 6'. 

MDR is a little different now what with new docks installed.

21MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ifishtoolittle wrote:
Wyu wrote:
Ifishtoolittle wrote:

Thanks.  At the breakwall.  We stopped by some docks near the bait barge afterwards for a few more fish.  Keep in mind though that we started at 10 and high tide was 730ish if I remember correctly.  Low tide was at 2pm roughly and it was a big one at 6'. 

Thx Ifishtoolittle... Next time you go out of MDR and need company let me know. I would like to join you.

22MDR 1/10 late report Empty Re: MDR 1/10 late report Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wyu wrote:
Ifishtoolittle wrote:
Wyu wrote:
Ifishtoolittle wrote:

Thx Ifishtoolittle... Next time you go out of MDR and need company let me know. I would like to join you.

Ok.  lol I should mention though that I was in my kayak and not tubing.  green happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum