FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need help on what to choose for a saltwater fishing rod and reel spinning outfit.

+2
Jerdon
TheFishingMusician
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

As the title says I need help with choosing two rods, two reels, and line. I would prefer to keep the total price of everything to be around 300. Please and thank you.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Do you have rods and reels you use already?

You can order combos off BassPro if you really don't have any preference.
Penn is Saltwater; so start with
PENN Battle II Inshore Rod and Reel Spinning Combo $120 and 8# mono
and to keep in your budget
Abu Garcia Orra 2 Winch Reel/Bass Pro Shops Crankin' Stick Baitcast Combo $169 with 12 to 15 # mono.

pick rod lengths you are comfortable with. In the tube I really don't like going over 7 feet, but I will admit the 6 foot rods I use feel a bit limited in casting distance.

I hope this helps

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thank you. I will check them out.

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm thinking about getting Shakespeare Ugly Stik Elite Salmon & Steelhead Spinning Rod, Okuma Celilo Salmon & Steelhead Spinning Rod Daiwa Emcast Sport Saltwater Spinning Reel, and a Abu Garcia Orra S Spinning Reel. I would like some good braided line that is around 25-50 lb test.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I just seen the Alaska location. Wow!

I love my Ugly Stiks cause they can take some abuse and the price is right. Every Abu product I have bought has exceeded my expectations.
I can't speak to the Okuma or Daiwa products. I say buy what you like cause you are going to fish with it.

I'm sure some of the salt water boys will chime in soon.

Hope this helps

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

yah first off the ocean up there would be more of what for you salmon? and king salmon, and hali's but idk the size, what type of fish are you targeting?

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

Salmon in general, but I'm fishing for anything that I can get inshore. I would prefer an all around rod and reel.

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I say light taramar and corvalus reel or curado e

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Orra is a good choice. Revo inshore is another but for your price point im not sure if you can do that and a rod.
Abu inshore series is all about sealed bearings and drag. Exceeding reels of match size and applicstion. IMHO.

Okuma is what they rent out to kooks on the boats down here and they do a job day in day out on everything from sculpin to yts. They get pretty abused and come back for more.

Ugly stick makes a nice inshore rod and surprisingly the guides hold up to braid pretty well.

Vagabond needs to chime in on this one. He just got some Okuma spinning gear for YT down here and I've seen him horse in a beast and that set up got it done.

Sonarbp is a good one to direct you to a good choice. 30 yrs experience,  an industry expert and a hell of a dam good fisherman. Send him or Vag a pm.

Narantdesigns

Narantdesigns
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Lews reels are awesome, and a great price, one of the better reels I've owned

http://Narantdesignco.com

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm going to check everything out. Smile Thank you.

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Narantdesigns wrote:Lews reels are awesome, and a great price, one of the better reels I've owned

Yes! Thumbs Up

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the forum TheFishingMusician.

Strange my last post didn't appear.

What part of Alaska are you fishing? What is the main fish you are targeting? Are you set on a spinning outfit or are you open to a casting outfit? Are you mainly fishing from shore, tube or boat?

Lots of choices for you to look at so with a little more info I am sure we can find you an excellent all around setup.

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm fishing around in Whittier and Homer. though I can't get out there as much as I'd like. Salmon, all kinds of salmon. Mainly from shore.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

TheFishingMusician wrote:I'm fishing around in Whittier and Homer. though I can't get out there as much as I'd like. Salmon, all kinds of salmon. Mainly from shore.

I was "assuming" float tube, my bad.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What type line are you fishing? Mono or braid? How heavy of lures are you planning on fishing? What length rod do you like?

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps me get a better idea of the style of fishing you plan to do. It also helps me narrow the list of options down.

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

Braid, my Grandpa is going to let me use his lures and I don't know how heavy those are, and I like 7'' to 9''.

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

TheFishingMusician wrote:Braid, my Grandpa is going to let me use his lures and I don't know how heavy those are, and I like 7'' to 9''.

My recommendation would be to buy the best you can afford. I saw in an earlier post you stated you were looking for 2 set ups for around $300. It is very difficult, but not impossible, to put together 2 quality set ups for about $300.

The one set up I will recommend would be a Clarus Salmon rod and a Stradic CI4 4000. This set up will run between $300 to $350 but will be a fantastic combo. The CI4 is extremely light weight and built to be used in both fresh and saltwater. It has 20lbs of drag and can handle the braid line no problem.

Clarus Salmon rod = $99.99 to 119.00
Stradic CI4 4000 = $239.99

Another excellent rod would be a Convergence. They are a step down from the Clarus but still a fine rod.

Convergence Salmon rod = $79.99 to 89.99

This is just what I suggest. I have learned over the years that your gear is an investment. It is better to spend a little more in the beginning than to have to replace the cheap stuff over and over.

If you have any question just ask or PM me.

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm thinking about getting two Ugly Stik Elite Salmon And Steelhead rod, is it any good?

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It is not bad rod, just different rod construction. Ugly sticks are a glass composite rod. The elite series does use some graphite in the construction.

They do have a nice steelhead salmon combo for about $90 but I wouldn't not recommend that for your application. Saltwater will destroy the reel fairly quickly.

If you do decide to go with the ugly stick combo please clean it and oil it after each outing.

TheFishingMusician

FTFF Gathering Officer

I will if I do Smile I am buying two because I want one for my Grandpa, and one for me. I am thinking about getting this one too Daiwa DXS Salmon & Steelhead Spinning Rod, the two piece Med. Heavy

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I feel the Daiwa is a better rod. If you are only going to use the rods occasionally the ugly stick combo might be the best way to go.

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I say get two taramar rods and then try to maybe find a used reel or two. They r awesome for inshore. And they have medium 6'6" options.

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Pavo 21 the Terramar series are not the right rod
for the type of Fishing he wants to do. Not to mention Terramars are more expensive than what He is looking at.

Inshore fishing in Alaska is a bit different than inshore fishing in socal.

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the did I've been talking about 110$

And s corvalus. But since he's looking for two I'd say get that set up and then a spinning

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum