FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sun protection while tubing?

+6
fishslayer
waxon67
jeffcpr
Dano67
ed5000x
Vagabond
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sun protection while tubing? Empty Sun protection while tubing? Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

When I am out tubing or on a boat I usually wear long sleeves and the big straw hat to keep most of the sun off of me, much rather be buying tackle than paying for skin cancer removal!

But I still get the face tan and racoon eyes from the sun that reflects off the water. I hate putting sun screen on and even more putting it on my face. I picked up a couple camo hunting face wraps at BPS last trip to see if that helps cut down the sun exposure yet still breath with them on. And I have seen some people just wrap a bandana around their face but I don't want to look like I am tracking deer or looking to hold up a boat in the harbor.

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried those new face wraps or anything you found works for protecting your head when on the water besides fish repelling sun screen?

I brought this up because a customer of mine in his 50's that fishes alot with just a ballcap on has had skin cancer removed from his ears 3 times Shocked

2Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

affraid i am getting a bigger hat and chin gaurd

3Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Dano67

Dano67

There is a diving sunscreen that is a Gel. It is for diving and it does not come off, is totally non greasy and has zero smell.

4Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am peeling from the sd trip arms look like fish scales Sad

5Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

The wrap around the face is a good idea, but on a hot day may not be confurtable just my 2 cents. Dano's sun screen that does not smell is a good idea, or maybe we could make up a sun screen that smells like anchovies. Thumbs Up
But really if fighting off the big C do the wrap make sence in the long run right, let us know what you think.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah I'll give the camo head wrap or bandana a try if I remember next trip and see which is more comfortable. I saw they sell special fishing head wraps at BPS but they were like $22.

7Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:24 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dr. Shade Glacier Hood..."who was that masked man?" $17.99 BPS SPF 50

Kinda like it.

8Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks, I was looking at those and liked them also but I was trying to spend a little less just incase it's just too annoying to wear on the water and I end up using it once and then it sits in the man cave collecting dust.

9Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:34 am

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

they sell this stuff in can now that you can just spray on, its pretty good.
I think its called SUN BLOCK!

10Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fishslayer wrote:they sell this stuff in can now that you can just spray on, its pretty good.
I think its called SUN BLOCK!

lol thanks you jerk! Hope you get mobbed by harbor seals tomorrow and they jack you for your stainless frame =P.
I know about sun block I just hate having that stuff on me even when it's spray on. Think you seen me use it a few times on our harbor trips. Even the supposedly dry film ones are still oily.

11Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

the spray on stuff gives me an instant migrain!
not the way to spend the day if you are trying to fish!
i hate using the lotions too,
but would rather have that than no nose or ear!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

12Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

smith's handpoured baits wrote:the spray on stuff gives me an instant migrain!
not the way to spend the day if you are trying to fish!
i hate using the lotions too,
but would rather have that than no nose or ear!

True Dat' Shocked

13Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Crazy I havn't heard of people getting migrains from it before, wonder what chemical in it is causing that... something to think about trading skin cancer for a brain tumor.

14Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:35 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Vagabond wrote:Crazy I havn't heard of people getting migrains from it before, wonder what chemical in it is causing that... something to think about trading skin cancer for a brain tumor.
alot of the fragences that they put in products give me migrains.
shampoo, deoderant, soaps, OTHER PEOPLES COLOGNE !
i'm that weird lady you see in the deoderant isle sniffing all the stuff to see if my hubby is allowed to wear it.
we DO use these products just very carefully!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

15Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 pm

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

ok so this isn't because i'm vietnamese.

you could get one of those cone shaped straw hats for maybe $2 at most asian supermarkets. it's like an umbrella for your head. i took my mom's and wore it out to the pier once and it actually worked great...until the wind picked up.

also, i've seen some weird visors that actually flip over your face. it's like sunglasses but for your entire face. again, asian supermarkets.

16Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am half Chinese and I know exactly what you are talking about, they sell visors, long gloves or sleeves and all sorts of crazy anti-sun clothing at asian markets. Some Asian cultures have a problem with being tanned they consider it a bad thing like it means you are a manual laborer or field worker. Tanned means poor while pale and white means well off to some.

A large straw hat works great, I have 3 of them. It's the sun reflection from the water that gets ya after awhile.

17Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 am

Spongey600

FTFF Gathering Officer

i have this sunscreen from Nutrogena(sp?) that is spf 70 and is made for your face so it is not greasy! i put it on at home before heading out and i wear the big hat and i put it on my face neck ears and the tops of my hands as my longsleeve shirt does not cover that. and i do not get reflection burn. not to revive an old thread but it is important one! Thumbs Up
E

18Sun protection while tubing? Empty Re: Sun protection while tubing? Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is right this is very important, I need to start paying better attention to this thread I am starting to notice a few funny spots on my face. Not cool, we have skin cancer history in my family.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum