FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report

+2
volcomsurfrider
fishmonster
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:46 am

fishmonster

fishmonster
FTFF Gathering Officer

Did some float tube fishing at the Lagoon this weekend. Fished Sat and Sun from opening to noon. It's been a while since I've fished here (10 years?), its also been a while since I've been skunked. Ouch... Lol. I guess I have some dues to pay at the again Lagoon before the fish show some respect.

Bait fish where everywhere in the morning and the bass were active til about 9am. I found a spot where the baitfish seemed to be concentrated. It was looking good. They were jumping out of the water all around me. I could not get them to bite SMH. I matched the baitfish with some tiny flukes and rigged two up to give a "mini schooling" effect, fished a CD5, then went deeper with the drop shop and even Senkos. Got one fish on and broke it off on a Senko about 10am Sat... total bummer. The hook I used was too small and I didn't get a good hookset because of it. Switched from a thin Senko to a regular and got lazy and didn't put a bigger hook on. That will teach me. It was one of those days where the fish were active but I could not get them to bite. I'd move from a spot and look back and bass were clearing out of the water right where I had been as if to say FU. I even pulled out my trout rod with 4lb floro line to see if they were line shy... nada. The water wasn't super clear so I doubted that was the issue. I fished on top, surface, mid levels, off the bottom, on the bottom. Fished the shallow structure/cover and even found a pocket of fish at about 15' deep on some deeper structure. Slowed it way down as well. It was a frustrating 2 DAYS, for fishing that is. Still better than being at home or work, thats for sure. I saw a couple catches by other anglers but not much. Others were commenting on how slow it was compared to the weekend before so I didn't feel too bad, although I'm not used to getting skunked much less a two day snowman. Met another float tuber who was really cool. Shout out to Steve!

I'm new to float tubing maybe I screwed that up somehow. I'm used to fishing from a boat. Any tips for the Lagoon? I used to go there years ago and 4" clear worms w/ black flake and yellow tipped curly tails used to work pretty well for me then. It didn't this time. I threw a whole tackle store soft plastic section at them. I'll be back very soon to get my revenge.

2Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:54 am

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Castaic Lower Lagoon can be a tough place! Do you have a meter/fish finder on your tube? As I remember, you have to meter the bottom for contour changes and structure. If not, best bet is just slow dragging dropshot plastics. Roboworm Aaron's Magic is a great color. Good luck next time and thanks for the report!

3Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have seen similar conditions at Perris. Bass mugging the bait fish and not touching the slow moving plastics. I have had luck with the Little George tailspin and silver Castmasters in these conditions.

Hope this helps

4Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:41 pm

fishmonster

fishmonster
FTFF Gathering Officer

I don't have a meter but I think I'm going to get one. I like to fish deep more than shallow and I've been able to do OK using good topo maps on other lakes to find good structure. The topo maps I found for the Lagoon are pretty laughable, to say least. I think the Kastmaster is a good call, I wish I would have thought of that. I don't have a Little George but I'll look into them. I think I through some Aarons Magic on the drop shot, which is what I was using as a poor man "meter" to find the deeper structure but no luck. I think it was a tough day out there. Thanks for the responses and tips.

I am thinking of hitting up Puddingstone later this week. I'll post a report if I do, hopefully with fish pics

5Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:39 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I take it u live close to the Pud............if I don't hit the salt, maybe we can hook up. I'm in La Habra, about 25 minutes to the south. Post up your time and date or PM me...........GT

6Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:22 pm

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:I have seen similar conditions at Perris. Bass mugging the bait fish and not touching the slow moving plastics. I have had luck with the Little George tailspin and silver Castmasters in these conditions.

Hope this helps

Our entire drought situation is very sad. I went to Lake Perris last October for the first time in maybe 8 or 9 years previous. I grew up bass fishing Perris and when I arrived, paid for parking and went to the Marina, I almost could not believe this was the same Lake Perris. The water was down low like I've never ever seen it there. The entire swim beach was like a good couple hundred yards low. The water line use to be right outside the Marina market. I can't even describe how low the water was. Piers and boat docks were on shore now basically dry docked. Vegetation was high with grass every where. I know the bass anglers still do well on the east end etc but it was just sad to see how low the lake is.

7Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:14 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Great detailed report Fishmonster and welcome! sorry for the skunk, happens to the best of us...redemption is sweet though!! enjoy your stay....plenty of knowledge here!

Tony G Fishing

8Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Empty Re: Castiac Lagoon 8/7 report Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:12 am

Jayb1rd79

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Great report! I've had some tough days at the lagoon myself. I did manage to get a few biters around the boat dock on a neko rig moving it stupidly slow though. I really enjoy tubing there though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum