FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Today at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Huntington Harbor 5/25

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Huntington Harbor 5/25 Empty Huntington Harbor 5/25 Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I made it out to seabridge park today. Launched the tube around 945am. The weather was okay, the wind was blowing opposite the tide. It was tough today so we stayed in the small channel. We didn't feel like fighting the wind in the main channel. I fished the docks pretty hard today, got one fish and had six bites. Will get the photo uo loaded later as I need ot transfere it off of the phone. We were off the water at 12 today. As soon as we got off the water the clouds decided to let the sunshine through...LOL Darker colors worked today, 3in blueish grey big hammer and 3.25 inch mc in brown with gold glitter and a red belly.
I want to adk a questioin. Coolbait versus Warbait under spin, which do you prefer?
I have found i seem to get bit more with the coolbaits but they seem to be short bit, where with the big hammer i don't get bit as often but they seem to be better fish when they do bite. I have been leaning more towards the cool ait heads lately. Both are quality heads.
I have seen a lot of posts about the hookup baits. I have bought the green sardine and the pink and clear but can't seem to get bit with these jigs. It seems i am the only one. Could this be the way i am fishing them? I dont cast and retrieve, i jig them while drifting Just trying to get some feedback. Always trying to learn and i ahve learned a whole bunch from you guys. Thanks for any information.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Huntington Harbor 5/25 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 5/25 Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks for the report!

I feel like I've been down the road you're talking about. I don't really know if that is true, but I'll lend some thoughts, since you asked...

"Coolbait versus Warbait under spin, which do you prefer?" - I used to throw the Coolbaits underspins all the time. But speaking from an admittedly faulty memory, in the ones I'm familiar with, the Coolbaits and Warbaits underspin jigheads are virtually identical  Are the ones you're using significantly different from each other? Can you post pictures? As I remember, the Warbaits maybe has a bigger blade?

"...where with the big hammer i don't get bit as often."

You were talking about jig heads.. but this is bodies, so I'm a little confused, but I have some thoughts here...

Do you hot water treat your Big Hammers to make them softer? It helps.

But instead, I would suggest you try the Keitech Fat Swing Impact bodies with your underspins. I think you'll see a big improvement over the Big Hammers. The problem is they cost more and they're a lot softer, so they die easy, but that softness nets you more fish. I saw a big jump in numbers when I went from BH to KFSI. Shad and Ayu colors worked for me.

I dont cast and retrieve, i jig them while drifting.

I don't mean to be rude, but I find this hard to believe. You would drift by an open dock with a piling at the back of it because you don't want to cast to it? Or do you kick up to every piling and doodle jig them? What about places you can't get to but you could flip a bait in there? All those tasty spots with two boats close together where you can just barely flip a bait in there but it nets you a toad! What about all the docks where the pilings are on the backside closest to the wall and you can sneak back in there and flip a bait to run it past two pilings that only a tuber or the person who owns the dock could get to? It's like you're telling me you just drift by all the best spots in Huntington Harbor because you don't want to cast and retrieve.  Sad

Don't get me wrong, I love jigging and I've caught some really nice fish by simply dropping a bait next to a piling and jigging, but I consider it more of a fun stunt than a one size fits all approach. I mean if jigging is your only presentation, then you're severely limiting yourself not only in how you present your bait, but in how much water you can cover.

This is especially true in Huntington Harbor docks where you can pull into a slot between docks and cast into the back sides both left and right and then turn around and cast across the channel and work the open water. I've had spots where the docks gave up a spottie and the open water gave up a sandie. Both from me in the same spot and casting around.

Even when I'm not really kicking and I'm drifting with the tide, I'm still casting in the direction I'm facing and retrieving the bait to me (with the tide) so I can vary what the bait is doing. By varying my retrieve speed and rod motions, I can give my bait lots of different actions.

Often when moving along a dock line, I like to cast off to my side into the open water of the channel and let the drift swing my bait across and behind me. I'm able to fish deep and shallow, open and structure all with one cast.

Obviously, bass will often simply attack your bait, and that's when they hook themselves and you just need to hang on. But sometimes, they will take their time and follow a bait and check it out and then maybe give it a quick "suck and spit" type bite and that's when you have to be quick or the bite is over before you knew it happened. I think a lot of "short" bites are really these spit it out bites.

I'm sorry for running off at the keyboard (as usual) but hopefully something helps. Good luck!

3Huntington Harbor 5/25 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 5/25 Sat May 26, 2018 12:37 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Sounds like a nice morning on the water to me. Fish on the tube and plenty of toys to catch them with.

Thanks for sharing.

4Huntington Harbor 5/25 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 5/25 Sat May 26, 2018 1:14 am

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ornery Bob wrote:Thanks for the report!

I feel like I've been down the road you're talking about. I don't really know if that is true, but I'll lend some thoughts, since you asked...

"Coolbait versus Warbait under spin, which do you prefer?" - I used to throw the Coolbaits underspins all the time. But speaking from an admittedly faulty memory, in the ones I'm familiar with, the Coolbaits and Warbaits underspin jigheads are virtually identical  Are the ones you're using significantly different from each other? Can you post pictures? As I remember, the Warbaits maybe has a bigger blade?

"...where with the big hammer i don't get bit as often."

You were talking about jig heads.. but this is bodies, so I'm a little confused, but I have some thoughts here...

Do you hot water treat your Big Hammers to make them softer? It helps.

But instead, I would suggest you try the Keitech Fat Swing Impact bodies with your underspins. I think you'll see a big improvement over the Big Hammers. The problem is they cost more and they're a lot softer, so they die easy, but that softness nets you more fish. I saw a big jump in numbers when I went from BH to KFSI. Shad and Ayu colors worked for me.

I dont cast and retrieve, i jig them while drifting.

I don't mean to be rude, but I find this hard to believe. You would drift by an open dock with a piling at the back of it because you don't want to cast to it? Or do you kick up to every piling and doodle jig them? What about places you can't get to but you could flip a bait in there? All those tasty spots with two boats close together where you can just barely flip a bait in there but it nets you a toad! What about all the docks where the pilings are on the backside closest to the wall and you can sneak back in there and flip a bait to run it past two pilings that only a tuber or the person who owns the dock could get to? It's like you're telling me you just drift by all the best spots in Huntington Harbor because you don't want to cast and retrieve.  Sad

Don't get me wrong, I love jigging and I've caught some really nice fish by simply dropping a bait next to a piling and jigging, but I consider it more of a fun stunt than a one size fits all approach. I mean if jigging is your only presentation, then you're severely limiting yourself not only in how you present your bait, but in how much water you can cover.

This is especially true in Huntington Harbor docks where you can pull into a slot between docks and cast into the back sides both left and right and then turn around and cast across the channel and work the open water. I've had spots where the docks gave up a spottie and the open water gave up a sandie. Both from me in the same spot and casting around.

Even when I'm not really kicking and I'm drifting with the tide, I'm still casting in the direction I'm facing and retrieving the bait to me (with the tide) so I can vary what the bait is doing. By varying my retrieve speed and rod motions, I can give my bait lots of different actions.

Often when moving along a dock line, I like to cast off to my side into the open water of the channel and let the drift swing my bait across and behind me. I'm able to fish deep and shallow, open and structure all with one cast.

Obviously, bass will often simply attack your bait, and that's when they hook themselves and you just need to hang on. But sometimes, they will take their time and follow a bait and check it out and then maybe give it a quick "suck and spit" type bite and that's when you have to be quick or the bite is over before you knew it happened. I think a lot of "short" bites are really these spit it out bites.

I'm sorry for running off at the keyboard (as usual) but hopefully something helps. Good luck!

I meant with the warbaits head i don't get bit as often. The biggest difference between the two heads is hte hook size. I use hte 3/8 ounce head and with the cookbaits has a 2/0 mustad hook where as the warbaits head has a 3/0 hook with a heavier wire.
I don't treat the big hammers they are pretty soft already.
I have just started using the Keitech fat swimmer. I use the 2.8 and 3.8 inch baits. I like the 2.8 with the 3/16 cookbaits and the 3/8 coolbait with the 3.8 inch. The french white color has been the most effective color
As far as the hookbaits goes its made for more of a verticle presentation but i will try to cast and retrieve next time bouncing it in front and in the docks.
When i cast swimbaits i like to fan cast the whole area. I will cast across the channel, in the docks and along the front of the docks. The last couple times pounding the docks have worked the best for me.
Thank you for all the information you give.

5Huntington Harbor 5/25 Empty Re: Huntington Harbor 5/25 Sun May 27, 2018 8:46 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Great exchange of information people!
With all of this info ... everyone should be catching fish and having fun doing so!

Thanx TobyB for the fish report with pic's,
It sounds like you know what you are doing out there in order to catch fish. Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum