FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

sd bay spotties 9/2/11

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Empty sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:52 am

bassinfool2112

FTFF Gathering Officer

hi fellas- i got out of work a couple hours early on friday due to the holiday weekend, luckily i had planned ahead and stuck my tube and gear in the trunk the night before Twisted Evil
i headed for shelter island and put the tube in off the rocks right behind custom marine electronics.

i started off throwing a small punch jig with a 4" grub trailer but after 25 minutes off pitching the pilings and docks for nada i tied on one of my new red spinnerbaits and started working a long L-shaped section of open dock. i'm pretty sure there's a eelgrass bed nearby because within seconds of starting to retrieve my first cast i got smacked and pulled in a nice, strong 10 inch spot. my next cast had the same result and i landed a similar sized bass.

i then spun 90 degrees and fired a cast up the long part of the L and slowly rolled the bait back towards me. just as i was about to burn it in for the next cast i get nailed, swing and can immediately tell that i'm hooked into one of the bigger bass i've stuck in a while. after a nice bout in which she pulled some serious drag a number of times i was able to bounce her onto my stripping apron and eventually lip her. she went a healthy 16 inches on the fishcat apron measuring tape and fought like a runaway truck. after snapping a pic and quick video she was released unharmed and returned to the depths with thunder so that she may fight another day.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

continued chucking the blade for another 15 minutes or so without any activity so i tied up my 1/2oz roach colored war swimjig with a wrathchild bh trailer, dipped it in the butter, kicked my tube up the dock a little bit and threw a long cast along the side of a big yacht tied to the end of the L. letting the jig sink on a free spool i kicked around the end of the yacht and the corner of the dock. this allowed my line to run under the yacht, it's big shadow and the end of the dock as i began my retrieve- a slow crank that allowed the bait to swim and hop right along the bottom.

it couldn't have been more than three or four cranks after the bait got under the ship that my rod just gets electrocuted. i pulled up the little bit of slack and swept my rod up and to the side, knowing immediately that this fish was bigger than the one i just landed. I was thinking/hoping halibut as she was keeping me very low and i could feel her head really thrashing as i gained line on her. after a few minutes i finally got her to color and saw that it was a bass-a toad spotty that was just not giving up. she made another few short pulls before i got her lipped. i snapped a few shots before she too was released back to the depths, i think i was in a bit of shock as i held this bass, by far my personal best spotty she was over 17 inches easy, very healthy and S-T-R-O-N-G.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

little vid...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

i threw the swimjig for the next hour and a half or so, landing another 2 or 3 smaller spotties before deciding to call it a day and kicking for the car. all said and done i landed something like 7 bass in 4 hours, two of them being legitimate toads. not a bad start to what's shaping up to be a great holiday weekend! hope everyone has a fun, safe holiday weekend!!!

thanks for looking guys, tight lines!

Last edited by bassinfool2112 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

2sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Empty Re: sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:03 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That was a great report bassinfool2112, thanks for sharing your outing with us. I would have to say very glad you had your gear with you as well or you may have missed those toads.
Well done sir keep up the good work now to watch the video Thumbs Up

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Empty Re: sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:24 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

L Love that bay the bass are big and healthy thanks for the report and photos they are great. I hope to see you on the water soon.

http://bassinthehood.com

4sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Empty Re: sd bay spotties 9/2/11 Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:52 am

BASSGEEK

BASSGEEK
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

nice man!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum